The Fair Catch Kick rule

stevestojan

Another interesting link.

A tangent at the end on the Butt-Smack Rule :w00t: :

On a totally unrelated note, [NFL 2Night] also once did a segment about the butt smack. How many smacks, where on the butt, where to look. They broke down film of incorrect butt smacks. One shows an assistant coach for the Browns walk up behind a player doing his stretches and smacking his sweet, supple, round, thrust, delicious... sorry... rear end like ten times. Golic says, "All wrong. Just make it one smack and walk away." Then they showed Steve Mariucci smack a guy on the dumps and look at it while he's walking away. They stop the tape, take out the tellistrator, circle Steve's eyes, and say, "This is something you never want to do!" Then they ask Marty Schottenheimer why he never did it, to which he said, "Well I didn't want people to start talking."

Yeah Al Michaels talking about it during the Jets game.

200990[/snapback]

I thought this was actually one of Madden's pet topics. He seems to bring it up any time there's a close game.

My father taught me to drop kick in the early 60's. I got very good at it -hitting it as it bounced up from the ground- even with the now standard trim ball. The rule was put in waaaaaaaaayy back- before the forward pass- and the ball was much more round, making it a viable option. Today's ball is too narrow for consistant good kicks however.