Not going to be a fun family reunion this year....

Just Jack

This kind of sound likes a scam to me. Here is a scenerio, the grandfather/granddaughter/mother/step father have a behind the scenes agreement, let's get this sob story out & we could raise enough money & could split the difference. Why would the daughter evict her own dad? How could she possibly live with herself? & the other thing is why would she want this on her concience & basically probably get disowned by her family for evicting him, when the property is going to be hers anyways in less then 5 years(the guy is 90 something years old). Even the granddaughter's comments are suspicious. "I don't have anger for my mom & she is a human too." Something stinks in this story.

• 1 month later...

Update : http://gma.yahoo.com...news-money.html

After raising money from Internet donors, a 92-year-old man's attempts to buy back from his daughter the house he built have been rejected as he awaits his eviction hearing next week. John Potter of Zaleski, Ohio, received an eviction notice from his daughter, Janice Cotrill, and son-in-law earlier this year, saying they had terminated his "existing lease." Potter and his granddaughter, Jaclyn Fraley, raised $139,603 on the website GoFundMe.com in the hopes of making an offer on the home he built about 56 years ago.

Potter had a market appraisal conducted on the home which showed that its value was $47,000 plus a tract of land worth $2,830, together which was much lower than the value he and his granddaughter had expected. They made an offer to Cottrill through their attorney for the market value of the home and received a counter-offer that was about $85,000 plus about $4,000 and $11,500 for the eviction process and attorney fees. Potter said he is reluctant to offer more than what the market appraisal for the home indicated. After discussing with his granddaughter and attorney, Potter made a second offer of $60,005.23 on June 13, but Cottrill, they said, declined that as well without a counter-offer.

He raises almost $140K, but refuses to pay the $85K+fees. Now I don't feel sorry for him.

if i am reading it correctly, the fmv is 50K, she is asking for 100K...not sure of the property tax implications if you pay double the house value, does that now increase the tax base rate to 100K, still I can't totally fault him...paying double for the house, no matter how much he raised wouldn't be ok with me either..

Update : http://gma.yahoo.com...news-money.html

He raises almost $140K, but refuses to pay the $85K+fees. Now I don't feel sorry for him.

if i am reading it correctly, the fmv is 50K, she is asking for 100K...not sure of the property tax implications if you pay double the house value, does that now increase the tax base rate to 100K, still I can't totally fault him...paying double for the house, no matter how much he raised wouldn't be ok with me either..

Why? He is in his 90's, so its not likely he needs to worry about selling the house after and losing money on it, and also he is doing it using money donated to him by strangers, its not like its his money that he had to save for or even work for.