The Office finale is Thursday night

Just Jack

I wish I could care more...used to really love this show, but post-Carell just not feeling it enough. I watched it pretty religiously, until this past Octobers' Halloween episode...it was terrible. Makes me sad to say that. It was foolish of them to try to trudge forward without Carell, last season wasn't great, but this current season, after the 8 or so that I watched, was just horrendous. Great bit- characters like Angela, Kevin and Creed shouldn't carry a show. And, in my estimation, they killed Dwight Schrute to an extent I didn't think possible. They almost turned them into totally different characters. Did you watch all the way? Is it worth tuning in for the finale? I just figured they would be all over in syndication in the fall...am I giving it the short shrift?

Edited by Buftex

I wish I could care more...used to really love this show, but post-Carell just not feeling it enough. I watched it pretty religiously, until this past Octobers' Halloween episode...it was terrible. Makes me sad to say that. It was foolish of them to try to trudge forward without Carell, last season wasn't great, but this current season, after the 8 or so that I watched, was just horrendous. Great bit- characters like Angela, Kevin and Creed shouldn't carry a show. And, in my estimation, they killed Dwight Schrute to an extent I didn't think possible. They almost turned them into totally different characters. Did you watch all the way? Is it worth tuning in for the finale? I just figured they would be all over in syndication in the fall...am I giving it the short shrift?

Hated 3/4 of this season. Last couple I'm feeling nostalgic and happy I saw them. They are coming back full circle, finally. Tune in.

Did you watch all the way? Is it worth tuning in for the finale? I just figured they would be all over in syndication in the fall...am I giving it the short shrift?

I only started watching this season, but thanks to Netflix, have seen all the episodes since Season 1. Like some shows, they have good episodes and bad ones. But unlike most shows on TV, this is one of the better ones.

I've loved the show. Watched it for the first time last season and got hooked, not missing a show after that and watched all the older ones on Netflix.

The first half of this season wasn't.their best, but they are probably running out of main ideas anyways which is why its the last season.

I have liked how they have brought the documentary film more into the show though, think its kind of cool.

I'm going to watch it, but I've only seen bits and pieces of the last two seasons. The end of this series reminds me a lot of how they ended Scrubs. They put together a great episode to send off the main star, but then for whatever reason, tried to keep it going after that. I'm sure we'll all look back some day and completely ignore these last two years.

"Months after the airing of the documentary, the workers of Dunder Mifflin, past and present, gather for a wedding and a final round of interviews. Mysteries are solved, hatchets are buried, pranks are prunked"

from tonights description

Well that finale reminded me of exactly what was missing over the last two years. I laughed four times: each of Michael's lines and the Creed stuff at the end

Well that finale reminded me of exactly what was missing over the last two years. I laughed four times: each of Michael's lines and the Creed stuff at the end

Agreed, Never understood why Creed never got more play on that show.like you, the finale reaffirmed why I had not watched in 3 years or so.

Agreed, Never understood why Creed never got more play on that show.like you, the finale reaffirmed why I had not watched in 3 years or so.

That's actually what made the show so good. Characters like Creed belong in the background. The cast was full of perfect characters like that. Highlight them for 2 minutes or so each episode and its perfect. Carell left and they had to give them the airtime they weren't worthy of (Andy Bernard).

And yes, I was dead silent until that TWSS joke. Thank you Michael Scott for single-handedly making those jokes relevant again over the last 8 years.

That's actually what made the show so good. Characters like Creed belong in the background. The cast was full of perfect characters like that. Highlight them for 2 minutes or so each episode and its perfect. Carell left and they had to give them the airtime they weren't worthy of (Andy Bernard).

And yes, I was dead silent until that TWSS joke. Thank you Michael Scott for single-handedly making those jokes relevant again over the last 8 years.

Agreed.

Ill say I think the line of the night, not verbatim, was "Michael has so many pictures of his kids that he has two phones with two numbers with two bills... He's just so happy to have a family plan."

If you had to boil the entire series down to one line that's it.... it's all these goofy characters trying to find that feeling - they are all chasing their own versions of homes. It's what made the show great and why the random characters to replace Michael and fill the last few seasons failed. I laughed, and it brought back a lot of memories from seasons gone by when Pam said that line... It was nice seeing the old gang all found their happiness.

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly! Andy was hysterical, when he was the guy who needed "anger management"...but then they re-created him about a half dozen times, to fit whatever plot device they needed him for...Angela the same way. They just lost what made those characters great, to keep the show going. I actually thought the Robert California character was pretty good, but he didn't stick around long enough...Andy Bernard was an ill-sutied character to carry a show...I honestly couldn't stand watching Ed Helms any more (if I never saw him do an acapella bit again, it would be great)....and even Dwight was unbelievably stupid after a while...I never thoght that would happen. What made the Schrute character so great, when the show was good, was that he was equal parts, smart, clever and a-hole. By the end, he was dumb, easily duped, but still an a-hole...it just didnt' work as well.

Edited by Buftex

Agreed.

Ill say I think the line of the night, not verbatim, was "Michael has so many pictures of his kids that he has two phones with two numbers with two bills... He's just so happy to have a family plan."

If you had to boil the entire series down to one line that's it.... it's all these goofy characters trying to find that feeling - they are all chasing their own versions of homes. It's what made the show great and why the random characters to replace Michael and fill the last few seasons failed. I laughed, and it brought back a lot of memories from seasons gone by when Pam said that line... It was nice seeing the old gang all found their happiness.

If nothing else, I can live with this finale because we got to see that Michael is happy. As much as they played up Jim and Pam over the years, it still was all about Michael in the end.

http://www.grantland.../the-end-office

Pretty interesting take I thought ( as a guy who doesn't watch regularly)

Nice article. I agree with it, mostly. Only real qualm I have with it, it completely ignores the influence of (for me, the greatest sitcom) The Larry Sanders show...which Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant have cited numeroues times as being their biggest influence for the "The Office". Also, as much as I like "Modern Family" (I don't watch it religiously, but think it is pretty good when I do see it), I think it gets a little too much lauding from mainstream critics.

The American version of "The Office", as the article pointed out, in its' prime (seasons 2-6) managed to walk the high-wire between between being harshly realistic (dark humour) and silly...it was near perfect.

I will likely watch the last few episodes sometime soon...but I have missed this show for a few years now.

Edited by Buftex

That was the best TWSS joke i have ever heard

These

The show had been rough over the past 2 years, but Thursday was a perfect ending. Great finale.

That was a finale that limped across the finish line, bud.

Sorry.

But the show lost its heart about two years ago, and has basically had to explain moments of sentimentality to the audience ever since. And since nobody (well, mostly nobody) gives a **** about any of the characters anymore, those moments of sentimentality were empty, forced and coming at the audience a mile-a-minute.

The finale was tired and contrived. What should have been compassionate euthanasia turned into 50 mins of failed should-have-been-lethal blows to the head. Even in death, the show suffered.

That said, I completely lost my **** at the TWSS joke.

Want to see Creed at his best. Check out an episode called "Product Recall."

Incidentally, that is when the show was hitting on all cylinders. Michael Scott is so hilarious when he is reading the cue cards at the end.

I'm not sure that there has ever been a funnier moment on that show.

"You have one day."

Anyway, great show. I've seen every episode and watched this season as well. I agree that the show dropped when Michael left. The attempts to explore biographics of each character was probably a bad one. They should have thrown the farm at a Chris Kattan or Steve Colbert to play the role and centered it around them and how they influence the office dynamic - much like they did with Carell for 7 years.