soccer - USMNT news

Tomorrow Klinsmann will announce the roster for the USMNT camp that starts 5/21. They have upcoming friendlies against Belgium (5/29) and Germany (6/2) before a round of three WCQ games, starting 6/7 in Jamaica. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Landon Donovan will not be called in…

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130514/landon-donovan-not-in-usmnt-roster-klinsmann/

I think this is a mistake. Klinsmann seems to be playing out some petty bitterness here. Donovan needs to be out there.

On a positive note, Stuart Holden is getting the call. He’s worked extremely hard for about two years to come back from injuries. If he regains his old form, our national team is much improved. Klinsmann has announced that Holden will be on the roster.

I'm not sure what to think about Donovan...sounds to me like the guy's heart isn't in it right now, in which case I'm happy to have him away from the team for the time being. He's still got some productive years left, but I trust Klinsmann's judgement. Interesting news about Holden.

Friendly against the young, talented German squad will be very interesting!

Donovan looked very good last night for the Galaxy. A goal and two assists. I think that puts some pressure on Klinsmann. The roster will be announced today. If Donovan's not on it, I think fans will demand a more meaningful explanation from Klinsy than what he's offered up to now.

Donovan looked very good last night for the Galaxy. A goal and two assists. I think that puts some pressure on Klinsmann. The roster will be announced today. If Donovan's not on it, I think fans will demand a more meaningful explanation from Klinsy than what he's offered up to now.

I think it's easier for me to dismiss it cause I've been critical of Donovan for a while now. He has his moments, and clearly he's talented, but I've always considered him overrated and a bit of an egotist. He's one of those players I can see causing resentment among the team, where people don't play up to their potential because of his presence. It wouldn't surprise me if the team played better ball without him.