When Was Last Time Players REALLY Trusted The System

Honestly Gailey did a good job as an OC. It isn't his fault he was saddled with a quarterback with poor deep accuracy and erratic mid range accuracy. It's impossible to design a killer offense when you don't have the quarterback.

I think Gailey's downfall was the same as what will be Rex Ryan's downfall, that is taking control of one side of the ball and having nothing to do with the other side. The best NFL head coaches find a way to get their tentacles into every aspect of the game, unifying the locker room rather than compartmentalizing and potentially causing dissension.

The skillset to be a HC is on some level the opposite of what it takes to be a good coordinator. While coordinating is all Xs and Os, a head coach needs to be able to inspire and lead.

Honestly Gailey did a good job as an OC. It isn't his fault he was saddled with a quarterback with poor deep accuracy and erratic mid range accuracy. It's impossible to design a killer offense when you don't have the quarterback.

I think Gailey's downfall was the same as what will be Rex Ryan's downfall, that is taking control of one side of the ball and having nothing to do with the other side. The best NFL head coaches find a way to get their tentacles into every aspect of the game, unifying the locker room rather than compartmentalizing and potentially causing dissension.

The skillset to be a HC is on some level the opposite of what it takes to be a good coordinator. While coordinating is all Xs and Os, a head coach needs to be able to inspire and lead.

I agree with you, but Fitz was entirely Gailey's fault. Nix didn't just up and decide that they were keeping Fitz regardless. A coach needs to be actively involved on both sides of the ball. He needs to trust his coordinators, but you can't be the coordinator in chief, you have to be the head coach.

Well Chris Brown was just on WGR and he said that Bills player (to a man) say they are reacting to these coaches like he has never seen before. I would say that is a pretty darn good sign.....

I heard this live. It was very cool to hear Chris Brown say that, and his matter of fact tone was unmistakeable. I agree with Bulldog: "Well, whoa, that's something fans are gonna like to hear". Brown said, "never seen it, and I've been here since Levy". :D

It was funny, because it just came out of Bulldog, unhindered. I say unhindered: Bulldog was by himself, so he wasn't doing his usual "I better try to shellack this point to make it sound more intelligent than is required" thing. :lol: 3 guesses why he normally does that.

Yeah Chris Brown works for the team and yeah, he refrains from killing a guy/coach/GM when they are doing bad, and yeah, he only talks about the positive. But, that's the thing: degrees of positive. I've been paying attention to Brown long enough to know when I'm hearing boiler plate. Today was not that.

If you listened close to what the Bills offensive players, they absolutely LOVED Chan Gailey and his system, especially Fred and CJ, and Stevie, who were the leaders of the team. Fitz loved him. I have heard Wood talk effusively about him, too. There is zero question in my mind that the offensive guys totally bought into Chan and his system. CJ really liked Chan especially, and despite what a lot of posters would write about Chan's inability to get CJ the ball, CJ could go on and on about how the play design was amazing and that opened up the field for him.

On defense, I have no idea, because I never heard them talk so openly enthusiastic about any of the coaches, although Wanny had their respect simply from his stature and past.

Yep, our players probably shouldn't like anyone just so it doesn't turn into another Gailey era. They should divorce their families and live as hermits just to prevent it.

I agree with you, but Fitz was entirely Gailey's fault. Nix didn't just up and decide that they were keeping Fitz regardless. A coach needs to be actively involved on both sides of the ball. He needs to trust his coordinators, but you can't be the coordinator in chief, you have to be the head coach.

I agree with the latter part of your post but it was Nix' responsibilty to acquire the players, not Gailey's. They wanted to upgrade at QB but Nix goofed in the draft by underestimating how early QBs would come off the board. I'm not looking to bash Nix, I agree with those who say he left the roster better than he found it. But we went 16-32 because he botched HC and QB.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

I think Gailey is a fine OC (as long as you keep him away from personnel decisions) and the offense here would have flourished under an average or better QB. But, he has to take blame for the defense. It was a joke from day one until the end. Not only did he have no idea on that side of the ball, he delegated power all over the place with zero consistency. And special teams weren't much better, I have no idea what this team was doing with Lindell.

I think Gailey is a fine OC (as long as you keep him away from personnel decisions) and the offense here would have flourished under an average or better QB. But, he has to take blame for the defense. It was a joke from day one until the end. Not only did he have no idea on that side of the ball, he delegated power all over the place with zero consistency. And special teams weren't much better, I have no idea what this team was doing with Lindell.

It's popular to slag off the defense constantly, but actually things started to look up. A lot.

After the bye the defense (not the team, just the defense) allowed about 21 PPG. Which was a huge improvement, from wretched to decent. Their defensive YPC made a huge leap upwards to 4.1 YPC, above average. Their QB rating allowed made huge improvemtnts, really everything did, and all that with Wanny's extremely vanilla schemes.

Once they figured out their run fits during the bye week they actually looked like an NFL defense for the rest of the year.

The last time the players trusted the system is the last time the system trusted the players.

+1. I think the players really believed in Perry Fewell as the DC. They played well in his scheme. Unfortunately, our offense could not get going during those Dick Jauron years... Buddy should have made Fewell the HC and brought in Chan Gailey as the OC. The Team would have been much better.

Teams tend to take on some of the personality of the coaching staff and the big dog sets the tone - from the top on down.

Any wonder players are talking in vague terms about schemes and designs when the FO was entirely zip-lipped during the Draft and fed disinformation to the world?

I've said it before, Nix catered his picks to the HC's wants. That's why we got CJ and because Chan thought Fitz was "the guy" after he knew Edwards was "the guy", the franchise suffered with the play of a backup QB at the reins. I liked the guy, but Chan was myopic.

It's popular to slag off the defense constantly, but actually things started to look up. A lot.

After the bye the defense (not the team, just the defense) allowed about 21 PPG. Which was a huge improvement, from wretched to decent. Their defensive YPC made a huge leap upwards to 4.1 YPC, above average. Their QB rating allowed made huge improvemtnts, really everything did, and all that with Wanny's extremely vanilla schemes.

Once they figured out their run fits during the bye week they actually looked like an NFL defense for the rest of the year.

If you actually watched the games, this point is debatable. They did indeed improve from wretched, but the defense was still lousy and got gashed. The Seattle game was well after the bye week, for example, and that looked like an Oregon vs. Arkansas State game.