angelina jolie double masectomy

Whoa, I saw this headline earlier today and thought it was a joke. That's really some serious steps she took, but I totally understand why she did it. On the one hand, I lost my mother to breast cancer and I think it's great she's reduced her risk so dramatically. On the other hand, it's a shame that one of the best racks on earth is sitting in a medical waste bin as we speak!

I still remember the first time I saw the film "Gia"....probably sales will go through the roof now.

with all the healthy women having boob jobs, I wonder why women with masectomies cant have them to replace what they lost, at least cosmetically.

They can. But a full mastectomy removes the nipple as well. The article I read today said Angelina did have implants put in to replace what was lost.

They can. But a full mastectomy removes the nipple as well. The article I read today said Angelina did have implants put in to replace what was lost.

With that being the case I think she came out because she knew it wouldn't be kept a secret forever (surprised press hadn't gotten a hold of it already), so she didn't have to get into denial game.

With that being the case I think she came out because she knew it wouldn't be kept a secret forever (surprised press hadn't gotten a hold of it already), so she didn't have to get into denial game.

Also to raise awareness. It's a hell of a courageous move to come out and say "Yeah, I, as a virtual archetype of feminine sexiness, had my breasts cut off. And it doesn't make me any less a woman." Good for her, and I hope it encourages other women who need to take such a drastic step but are intimidated by it.

I'll still miss 'em...but it's a slightly better world with her alive and breastless, rather than dead and stacked.

What do they do with the removed tissue?

Seriously? Probably incinerate it...possibly landfill.

serious question: if a woman was to get this double masectomy - could they save the nipples and put em on the new, fake boobs? can they re-create a nipple for the new fake boob?

Here' the link to the original NY Times article she wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html?src=me&ref=general

She's pretty graphic about the procedure, but basically they test the nipples first to see what their chances of cancer are there. Then they pump more blood to the nipples so they can save them and re attach.

So Angelina's nipple's are still there.

This beach is crazy. I don't care how good she looked once. She is bathouse nuts.

She is pretty crazy, but I'd like to know the medical professionals here's feelings on this. I know when I first heard of women doing this, I thought it was nuts............Seemed like amputating your leg so you don't get bone cancer in it.

This beach is crazy. I don't care how good she looked once. She is bathouse nuts.

Who's nuts, the woman who takes advantage of advancing medical technology, or the millions of people who go to psychics to get told what they want to hear?

Yeah... listening to doctors is crazy!

I wonder how affordable this test is to measure the likelihood of breast and/or ovarian cancer.

Not too bad...my wife's had it. I forget the cost, but it didn't break the bank.

She is pretty crazy, but I'd like to know the medical professionals here's feelings on this. I know when I first heard of women doing this, I thought it was nuts............Seemed like amputating your leg so you don't get bone cancer in it.

More like amputating your leg when you know you've got a >95% chance of getting cancer in it.

No its the risk of spreading to other parts of the body they're addressing

Not too bad...my wife's had it. I forget the cost, but it didn't break the bank.

So, then, I would imagine that if the results were such that she would choose a mastectomy, that would be an elective procedure and not covered by insurance.

There was nothing to spread; she didn't have cancer. What part of "PREEMPTIVE" didn't you understand? Did you even read the link you posted?

I'm no doctor, but I'd have to think a woman has her breasts removed to remove the risk of breast cancer.