Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

There is no doubt that Kelly was hottest HCing prospect this past offseason.

An extremely reliable and well-connected football journalist disagrees with your statement. That's plenty of reason for doubt in my book.

I never said Marrone isn't highly regarded. Whaley who also has never been a GM is supposedly highly regarded.At this point what is an opinion worth? Especially at the beginning of yet another Bills FO honeymoon period.

But I'm interested in how Schefter's opinion on crowning "the hottest head coaching prospect" carries any weight at all? Credentials aside, Being a Journalism guru and all means what? How about the journalists/Ex GM's. etc. that laughed and some still are at the Bills pick at 16. Are they right or wrong? Or do people tailor their unbridled optimism of the Bills on popular fan opinions?

Where did Schefter play football or coach? And what exactly makes his educated opinion fact? I say He's wrong Chip Kelly was the hottest prospect for obvious reasons.

I made a post several pages back calling Marrone the hottest coaching candidate on the market. You challenged that statement, so I backed it up. I never made any attempt to say Marrone being the most coveted coach would make him a successful coach.

While Kelly certainly generated the biggest buzz, I don't see any "obvious reasons" to think Kelly was the most coveted coach in the league behind closed doors. I do however see an obvious reason to think Doug Marrone was: a reputable journalist directly reported it.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without doubt kelly was the hotter prospect, and by a wide margin.

Yeah, and Nassib was a "hotter prospect" than Manuel. So was Barkley. That's why they were drafted in the 4th round.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people still don't get that what NFL front offices consider the hottest prospect and what the media considers the hottest prospect are not always the same thing.

This is the first time I'm hearing this version of the story.

Yeah I had never heard that story regarding Jason Peters either.

That part is debatable and some people, including media types, have actually disputed it.

The process was certainly handled much more aggressively. Instead of waiting for the hundreds of calls from agents to light up the cellphone, the Bills aggressively went out and targeted coaching candidates and made, what was for them, a stunningly quick decision and before most, if not all, other vacancies were filled. There is no doubt that the process was conducted differently just given the observable details.

For the most part we are in accord. I agree with you that the organization didn't throw out a wide net and solicit all bidders. They focused on a selected group of candidates and went quickly through the vetting process. As you also noted other teams were involved in the hiring process. So they wisely made their hire before some of the other franchises could hire away one of their preferred candidates.

I'm sure you will agree that this focused approach certainly was better than going the lazy and comfortable route of hiring a retread HC who appealed to no other franchise other than your own backwater franchise.

An extremely reliable and well-connected football journalist disagrees with your statement. That's plenty of reason for doubt in my book.

I'm not saying you are wrong but Kelly had a prior offer with Cleveland that he tentatively accepted and then declined. There is no doubt that Marrone was being considered by multiple teams. That doesn't mean that he was going to be hired by other teams. Kelly had two offers and accepted the Philly job.

I'm not saying you are wrong but Kelly had a prior offer with Cleveland that he tentatively accepted and then declined. There is no doubt that Marrone was being considered by multiple teams. That doesn't mean that he was going to be hired by other teams. Kelly had two offers and accepted the Philly job.

Now this I can agree with, good post John.

Yeah, and Nassib was a "hotter prospect" than Manuel. So was Barkley. That's why they were drafted in the 4th round.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people still don't get that what NFL front offices consider the hottest prospect and what the media considers the hottest prospect are not always the same thing.

Others don't get that a draft where a player has no say where he's taken and a coach whose a free agent are totally different things. No doubt kelly was more actively pursued, by both NFL teams and to stay at his college team. He got paid a lot more than Marrone. This really is not a debatable subject. That some remain so ignorant and hung up on this is unreal.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Others don't get that a draft where a player has no say where he's taken and a coach whose a free agent are totally different things. No doubt kelly was more actively pursued, by both NFL teams and to stay at his college team. He got paid a lot more than Marrone. This really is not a debatable subject. That some remain so ignorant and hung up on this is unreal.

Pot, meet kettle.

You miss the point that public opinion is most often led by media speculation and not inside information.

And secondly you insist on saying that Kelly was "the hottest prospect by a wide margin" but you have no proof of this.

And as for your straw man point about the draft vs free agency, are you saying that if the Bills didn't draft EJ Manuel that he would have gone after Barkley and Nassib who were taken in the 4th round?

The media is often wrong.

Moving to another of your points, Oregon tried retaining Kelly because they're a major program and can compete with NFL teams.

Syracuse knew that they couldn't compete with the NFL job offers.

You miss the point that public opinion is most often led by media speculation and not inside information.

And secondly you insist on saying that Kelly was "the hottest prospect by a wide margin" but you have no proof of this.

And as for your straw man point about the draft vs free agency, are you saying that if the Bills didn't draft EJ Manuel that he would have gone after Barkley and Nassib who were taken in the 4th round?

Moving to another of your points, Oregon tried retaining Kelly because they're a major program and can compete with NFL teams.

Yes I get the media point, everybody does, but it doesn't mean the media consensus is wrong either. The irony of course is that the only "evidence" you provide in support of marrone is a quote from a media personality.

Consensus was the kelly was hottest prospect, and everything thats observable supported that: how many teams pursued him, how many offers he had, how much he got paid, how much his college team did to try and keep him (which BTW at marrones comp level syracuse could have been competitive).

Just lose the chip on your shoulder already. Because kelly was more sought after doesn't mean he'll be better as an nfl coach than marrone, no one is saying that.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Actually, I think the proof is that Kelly was able to negotiate a contract with the Eagles worth several times what the Bills are paying Marrone. Now, you can say that's because Oregon was already paying Kelly a boatload, but if other franchises really wanted to hire Marrone, his asking price would have been far higher. Look, I'm not criticizing the Bills here. I believe they handled the HC search process far better than the last time. But I don't think there is much real debate that Kelly was the hottest prospect on the market, even though there are some franchises that appear to be Kelly skeptics. I can't prove this, but if I had to guess, I would say Kelly was the Bills' first choice, but they realized early on that they were not going to be able to get him, and looked elsewhere. It was a smart move, unlike last time when they got publicly jilted by about five different candidates. Of course, none of that will matter if Marrone turns out to be another Mike Mularkey.

this is why I hate Russ Brandon and have zero stock in anything he says as being the truth. That goes for this, how he wants to leave 'no stone unturned' to win games, the Toronto series being about "Regionalization", and that his objective is to keep the Bills here forever.

"There's a lot of speculation for whatever reason related to that," Bills President Russ Brandon said. "Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time."

That is Russ's take. May be Buddy had other ideas and did not share it with his boss at that point of time. I doubt many folks let their boss know months ahead that they will be quitting their job.

Actually, I think the proof is that Kelly was able to negotiate a contract with the Eagles worth several times what the Bills are paying Marrone. Now, you can say that's because Oregon was already paying Kelly a boatload, but if other franchises really wanted to hire Marrone, his asking price would have been far higher. Look, I'm not criticizing the Bills here. I believe they handled the HC search process far better than the last time. But I don't think there is much real debate that Kelly was the hottest prospect on the market, even though there are some franchises that appear to be Kelly skeptics. I can't prove this, but if I had to guess, I would say Kelly was the Bills' first choice, but they realized early on that they were not going to be able to get him, and looked elsewhere. It was a smart move, unlike last time when they got publicly jilted by about five different candidates. Of course, none of that will matter if Marrone turns out to be another Mike Mularkey.

Kelly's contract with the Eagles is 32.5 M /5 Years = $6.5M a year. I assume Marrone is making at least 3-4M a year......which is not several times lower than what Kelly is earning......Philadelphia is not the same market as Buffalo.

Plus, with Maronne off the market, the bidding for Kelly ratcheted up considerably. He gave Cleveland the stiff arm, flirted with returning to his scandal-marred college club, and wrestled a lot of money from Philly - who were DESPERATE to bring in a big name HC so their fans would stick to cheesesteaks and not devour the owner and his FO. Trust me, there would have been a cheesesteak meltdown if they didn't hire him - no matter what the cost, they HAD to hire him.

That is Russ's take. May be Buddy had other ideas and did not share it with his boss at that point of time. I doubt many folks let their boss know months ahead that they will be quitting their job.

My experience, people know months ahead of time. Especially in a management role. I doubt it was a secret and unplanned. Especially the fact that Nix likely didnt retire himself to a paid home consultant position.

My experience, people know months ahead of time. Especially in a management role. I doubt it was a secret and unplanned. Especially the fact that Nix likely didnt retire himself to a paid home consultant position.

My bet would be Nix knew his days were numbered the day Brandon assumed control. He was probably told he would stay through the draft and then step down. And the reason for the delay between Nix's resignation and Whaley's promotion was to let each man have his day. No secret agendas or conspiracies.

PTR

Russ repeated this on SiriusXM earlier today. He was asked if Buddy's decision to step down was "suggested" or planned, and he said, "I assure you, the decision was completely Buddy's."

Uhhhh..yeah...."We are so happy with the path the bills have taken under Buddy judging from the win/loss record, his outstanding drafting, his ability to keep our better players and the fact that las vegas is predicting us to be a three-freaking-win team next year that we were devastated when Buddy unilaterally decided to step down." Purely his decision? Right-..like Socrates drinking hemlock was purely his decision.

Russ repeated this on SiriusXM earlier today. He was asked if Buddy's decision to step down was "suggested" or planned, and he said, "I assure you, the decision was completely Buddy's."

Right: Translated as "I assure you, the decision was completely managements"