Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

Here's what it comes down to:

Would you trade the current 2013 Bills organization (Front Office/Scouting personnel, coaching staff, and roster) for the 2008 Bills organization?

The question should be: Do you want to compare an unknown entity (2013 organization) with a known failed entity (2008 organization). And of course, it's like people asking would you trade the 2010 Bills with Gailey et. al for the 2013 version full of hope and change.

That's stellar logic there. How about trading the 2009 Bills for the 2012 version? Both had the same record, both had HC's jettisoned, and both were the last season for the GM. So, the question should be, what's changed?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might help keep Byrd on the team. I renig all previous Byrd opinions based on new GM taking over. Whaley will either do all he can to keep him and set his feet in this organization. Stating he will do whatever he can to keep our talent. Or... He will set his feet and take a stand against players and their agents that we won't be bullied by stardom status. That we want to build a team around heart and money will not run this organization.

All bets are off because Whaley will need to mark this team early and Byrd will be the first example. I have no clue what he does now.

Lol, I hate to say I told you so but I did......

He said he would stay till the Bills had a franchise QB and Buddy is clearly backing Whaley the last few weeks.

It was all very obvious..........

Please mil me $50 for inside information :worthy:

and your prediction is different from 90% of the Board how, exactly?

Would you trade the current 2013 Bills organization (Front Office/Scouting personnel, coaching staff, and roster) for the 2008 Bills organization?

That's not what it comes down to. As Buddy himself pointed out, "show me the baby." Winning is the bottom line in this league, otherwise it's just someone's perspective/opinion on how good/bad they think the roster is. Winning, period.

From a record perspective - the only objective perspective there is - these teams were worse than the teams before who went 7-9, 7-9, 6-10. Now, if the current coaching staff and the players drafted this year prove to be the thing that turns the Bills into a contender then Nix gets much of the credit for it. So until we know what we have in this bunch Nix gets an "incomplete."

This was laid out originally and was expected. Why are people surprised? They said this was the plan back when they made the announcements about Brandon. They literally said Nix would stay on through the draft where Whaley would take over full time as GM. So far, everything has gone exactly as expected.

I don't remember the Bills disclosing a detailed timeline for public consumption.

As far as being surprised based on the other thread (Promo's) I would say more people were predicting this to happen. I was not one of them, I thought he'd stay the year but there seems to be less surprise and more "just as I thought."

I suppose they are different but we are looking at a sample size of two coaching hires and an apples to oranges to pineapples comparison of past drafts.

Based on only 3 previous drafts for comparison, with their specific players, and our specific needs, I guess trading down was a bit different. But an equally valid argument would be "Nix trades down in the 1st round 25% of the time". Wonder how that compares to other teams?

I get the sample size argument but we only have a few years of data here and we were talking about the "feel" of events.

Interesting that Buddy's comments in the press release don't specifically mention Whaley. I guess they're going to announce that and give Doug his own press conference; probably sometime this week?

I think PFT said something about a press conference this afternoon although I haven't seen anything from the Bills.

No, I'd prefer the present organization although Billsvet points out correctly that the 2008 regime is a known failure while the 2013 team is an unknown quantity.

Funny that Nix now becomes a special assistant. It would be like getting a promotion at work when your boss retires and he remains as a consultant. Talk about uncomfortable.

Not aware of another team who keeps their retired GM around in an emeritus type role with the team. It's truly bizarre, but the Bills are adept at going counter to what other teams do without setting the pace anywhere.

Well, first of all, neither you nor any of us know what Buddy's "role" is going to be, so you're making an assumption he's going to be sitting right outside Whaley's office or something.

A reasonable assumption is that Buddy will maintain some type of scouting presence, and I don't know why that would be uncomfortable in the slightest.

It's remarkable how you continue to take shots at every opportunity, even when the organization seems to be moving forward progressively. I guess when the Lombardi is hoisted by Brandon you'll finally manage a crusty, "yeah, they did ok?"

To me, this makes it more clear than ever that Nix has been a face man for the FO since the last game in week 17 ended. I'm convinced Russ told Buddy to dump Chan. After that, Whaley and Russ picked Marrone. The draft this year was nothing like Buddy's drafts in the past. Marrone (and Whaley) made the picks, Buddy dialed the phone.

And I'm not sure what the "competitive advantage" was of not letting on what I'm sure the rest of the league figured out after Buddy dumped Chan (that Buddy was himself walking the green mile).

Just wanted to say that all of you who believed that the writing was on the wall all this time, and that Nix was all but a goner after the Draft...Well...You were right! Good job!!! :thumbsup:

There...I said it.. ;)

I don't remember the Bills disclosing a detailed timeline for public consumption.

As far as being surprised based on the other thread (Promo's) I would say more people were predicting this to happen. I was not one of them, I thought he'd stay the year but there seems to be less surprise and more "just as I thought."

I get the sample size argument but we only have a few years of data here and we were talking about the "feel" of events.

I think PFT said something about a press conference this afternoon although I haven't seen anything from the Bills.

No, I'd prefer the present organization although Billsvet points out correctly that the 2008 regime is a known failure while the 2013 team is an unknown quantity.

Ill take a stab at why even feel is tough....

Lets say harbaugh accepted the interview or perhaps marrone declined and we ended up with whisenhunt? What if Arizona took ej?

What if cam was available at 3?

If the opportunity existed I think harbaugh and cam would've easily been our guys but it takes both sides for that to work, and opportunities to present themselves. This year we got our hot name coach and charismatic athletic qb but I don't doubt we wanted them before.

To me, this makes it more clear than ever that Nix has been a face man for the FO since the last game in week 17 ended. I'm convinced Russ told Buddy to dump Chan. After that, Whaley and Russ picked Marrone. The draft this year was nothing like Buddy's drafts in the past. Marrone (and Whaley) made the picks, Buddy dialed the phone.

And I'm not sure what the "competitive advantage" was of not letting on what I'm sure the rest of the league figured out after Buddy dumped Chan (that Buddy was himself walking the green mile).

I agree with your post except I would say that confidentiality as a policy is always to a team's benefit. The "competitive advantage" might not be clear to outsiders and it might in fact be negligible.

On the other hand there would be zero benefit to telling the whole world that your GM is a lame duck.

Agreed.

I like Buddy and wanted to view some of the recent events as "an old dog learning new tricks."

In retrospect I ignored the strong feelings and clues that others in the organization were the ones making major decisions.

Yeah maybe. He also had the old man over his head calling shots - unlike now. Buddy did a good job amassing some talent. I think we are the better for having him as a bridge to where we are now. I too am surprised he didn't finish the season. But this is Brandon's team now and I like the direction we're heading. But I don't think we would have gotten here without Buddy.

Russ Brandon a few weeks ago: Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time.

Why does folks want the Bills to tell 100% the truth in press conferences? What benefit does that bring? Listen to Belichick's press conferences before they play the Bills. You swear the Bills were the 85 Bears with how he praises him.

Fans put way too much stock in press conferences.

Russ Brandon a few weeks ago: Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time.

I believe with the serious departure (trading down and drafting players with character questions) that this draft represented from the "business as usual" manner of the past drafts under Buddy, Whaley was already functioning as the GM.

Nix was most likely the nominal GM with Whaley and Marrone running the draft.

Ill take a stab at why even feel is tough....

Lets say harbaugh accepted the interview or perhaps marrone declined and we ended up with whisenhunt? What if Arizona took ej?

What if cam was available at 3?

If the opportunity existed I think harbaugh and cam would've easily been our guys but it takes both sides for that to work, and opportunities to present themselves. This year we got our hot name coach and charismatic athletic qb but I don't doubt we wanted them before.

I understand the point you're making about circumstances beyond the team's control but that whole week in Glendale the Bills spent interviewing head coaching candidates was a very different process than the clandestine and ineffectual actions the team took leading up to the Gailey hiring.

By all accounts Kelly and Marrone were the most coveted HCing candidates and the Bills were very aggressive and proactive in pursuing them.

They also interviewed numerous other candidates who were interested in coaching the Bills. There's no question Lovie or Whiz would have leapt at the opportunity to become Bills Head Coach. Same with Ray Horton.

Why does folks want the Bills to tell 100% the truth in press conferences? What benefit does that bring? Listen to Belichick's press conferences before they play the Bills. You swear the Bills were the 85 Bears with how he praises him.

Fans put way too much stock in press conferences.

I don't get why they had to be so emphatic about it. The draft was over. There was no competitive advantage to saying he's going to be here a long time.