The Beatles - Live Washington Coliseum 1964 (Washington D.C)

TSNBDSC

Always loved how raw these live recordings sound...both Lennon and McCartney could really belt out a rocker....

Going to see McCartney next week...from what I understand, a show he did in Brazil a week or two ago, he is doing a lot of Beatles stuff that was never performed live by the Beatles, or him. Things like "Lovely Rita".... Also, "Juniors Farm" and "Girls School".... as long as he doesn't perform "Ebony & Ivory" I think I will be pleased...

Edited by Buftex

Always loved how raw these live recordings sound...both Lennon and McCartney could really belt out a rocker....

Going to see McCartney next week...from what I understand, a show he did in Brazil a week or two ago, he is doing a lot of Beatles stuff that was never performed live by the Beatles, or him. Things like "Lovely Rita".... Also, "Juniors Farm" and "Girls School".... as long as he doesn't perform "Ebony & Ivory" I think I will be pleased...

You will be. We had this discussion before. I think he's still one of -if not the greatest music legends in my life and his shows are fantastic! Mostly because everyone knows every word of every song..

Enjoy!

You will be. We had this discussion before. I think he's still one of -if not the greatest music legends in my life and his shows are fantastic! Mostly because everyone knows every word of every song..

Enjoy!

Yeah, saw him in 1989. I enjoyed it quite a bit...he opened up with "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and, swear to god, every hair on my body (I was a lot harrier then!) stood on edge...but then he started doing some (much) lesser solo stuff, including "Ebony and Ivory" (just an awful song) which made me wish I had left early... as I recall, though, this was one of the very first live shows he had done in about a decade, and honeslty, I just don't think he was very in touch, at that time, with what his fans wanted to hear. As you said, he is likely the greatest living legend in pop music, so I can forgive him a misfire like "Ebony & Ivory"...but he has so many great songs...the set list I saw from Brazil has my mouth watering... he has been touring and doing live shows pretty steadily over the last decade or so, and I just think he "gets it" a bit more now. Every time I see him on some television special, I am blown away by how good he still sounds. Certainly one of the greatest rock 'N' roll writers of all time, and just as equally impressive a singer.

Why the hell did they have Ringo's drum set up facing the wrong way? :doh:

It was before "rotating" stage technology would change the face of music forever! :lol:

From what I have read, the set up for those shows, back in those days, was really sort of ramshackle...not a lot of soundcheck time...when they played at Shea Stadium, I believe, they ony had little speakers wired throughout the basball stadium, no big wall of sound speakers to get the sound out there...so many little girls screaming, nobody (fans or band) could hear anything.

Edited by Buftex

Yeah, saw him in 1989. I enjoyed it quite a bit...he opened up with "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and, swear to god, every hair on my body (I was a lot harrier then!) stood on edge...but then he started doing some (much) lesser solo stuff, including "Ebony and Ivory" (just an awful song) which made me wish I had left early... as I recall, though, this was one of the very first live shows he had done in about a decade, and honeslty, I just don't think he was very in touch, at that time, with what his fans wanted to hear. As you said, he is likely the greatest living legend in pop music, so I can forgive him a misfire like "Ebony & Ivory"...but he has so many great songs...the set list I saw from Brazil has my mouth watering... he has been touring and doing live shows pretty steadily over the last decade or so, and I just think he "gets it" a bit more now. Every time I see him on some television special, I am blown away by how good he still sounds. Certainly one of the greatest rock 'N' roll writers of all time, and just as equally impressive a singer.

I saw that 1989 show in Oakland Ca. I had field seats close up. I remember thinking how good Paul was on a Les Paul, his bass playing was always top notch but that dude can rock with a six string if he wants too. Ebony & Ivory was painful. Maybe it was just a favor to Stevie Wonder who co wrote it (I think). For all McCartney fans everyone should and probably does know he is a accomplished artist and his paintings are worth checking out,even his coffee table book of paintings is cool. an extremely talented man who by coincidence happened to meet three like souls early on in life.

It was before "rotating" stage technology would change the face of music forever! :lol:

From what I have read, the set up for those shows, back in those days, was really sort of ramshackle...not a lot of soundcheck time...when they played at Shea Stadium, I believe, they ony had little speakers wired throughout the basball stadium, no big wall of sound speakers to get the sound out there...so many little girls screaming, nobody (fans or band) could hear anything.

I noticed that drums weren't mic'd either. Hell when I played in a band only 11 years later when I was 14 we mic'd my set. Damn we were cool.

Oh and we also almost burnt down the school auditorium with our pyrotechnics. :lol: