Charles Woodson

This guy was on NFL Total Access a few days ago saying that he just wants to play some football and would be willing to come to a rebuilding team to do so if needed. Should we take a chance? I don't expect him to come too cheap and obviously he is older but if this guy would be willing to do a two year deal for a reasonable price I say we should try for him.

I see no reason for it. Log-jam at the safety position right now....especially with Aaron Williams converting. Love Woodson, but I don't see them spending for him when they're not willing to shell out cash for players at positions of need (i.e., Moore, Dansby). Save that money, develop these young players, and extend Byrd and Wood.

I would think Woodson would be a good insurance policy on Byrd.

If this was next year, yes. I don't see the need to rock the boat.

Cool story I have shared before about Woodson. He played at Freemont Ross in Ohio, in the GLL. This was the conference my high school was in at the time, same conference as Findlay where a few years later Roethlisberger made headlines. He was playing CB on one side of the field and the offense, my HS, ran an option sweep to the other side. Woodson back pedals to cover playing man up on the WR. He takes about 5 or 6 steps backward and comes across the field and tackles the RB for a loss of 3-5 yards. People stood still when Woodson ran.

I was thinking about this yesterday...

I don't think bringing in Woodson would have any effect on the Byrd situation at all, because at this point of CW's career he's not a 3-down DB anyway...What it would do is take away time from Duke Williams (I just noticed this as I was writing it...But another Williams on our D?...This has to be some kind of record!), and Ron Brooks...

That being said, Woodson is one of my favorite all time players (I'm a die-hard Michigan fan)...And I think, even at this stage of his career, it would be a HUGE upgrade to the Bills secondary as a whole...I would love to see the Bills bring in Woodson...But I know they won't... B-)

Why won't he be? He wants out or we aren't willing to pay up?

he's going to want out of Buffalo because we aren't willing to pay up.

Just don't see him playing another game as a Bill again. JMO.

The scenario is that he signs his franchise tender and plays under it with the Bills this season.

At some point during the season he becomes very enthused with the direction of the team overall under Marrone, his role in Pettine's defense, and the team's prospects for the playoffs.

Thus he and the Bills agree to a five-year deal for a bit less than what Goldson got from Tampa Bay and everyone's happy.

The scenario is that he signs his franchise tender and plays under it with the Bills this season.

At some point during the season he becomes very enthused with the direction of the team overall under Marrone, his role in Pettine's defense, and the team's prospects for the playoffs.

Thus he and the Bills agree to a five-year deal for a bit less than what Goldson got from Tampa Bay and everyone's happy.

i just don't see it happening. I see him threatening to hold out (just like Peters) because we are low balling him (just like Peters) and as it gets closer and closer to the season, we end up deciding to take whatever we can get for him. Which will either be a 1st or 2nd round pick with some additional picks in later rounds. 4th or later.

Don't get me wrong, I love your scenario. Hope it happens and honestly, with Buddies success with Stevie, Kyle, Fitz, Mario, etc... I can see us working out a deal with Byrd at some point. I just don't think it will happen this time.

i just don't see it happening. I see him threatening to hold out (just like Peters) because we are low balling him (just like Peters) and as it gets closer and closer to the season, we end up deciding to take whatever we can get for him. Which will either be a 1st or 2nd round pick with some additional picks in later rounds. 4th or later.

Don't get me wrong, I love your scenario. Hope it happens and honestly, with Buddies success with Stevie, Kyle, Fitz, Mario, etc... I can see us working out a deal with Byrd at some point. I just don't think it will happen this time.

I'm not convinced that a market exists for Byrd.

A lot of teams made moves at safety and this was a really good year for safeties.

I'm just not convinced that there's a team willing to send us a first rounder for the right to sign Byrd to a 5-year, $42 million contract.

Certainly as a non-exclusive franchise player there has been no interest in signing him to an offer sheet. Of course that would give the Bills 2 first rounders as compensation so obviously no one is gonna do that.

But even at the discounted price of 1 first rounder, I'm not seeing who the buyers are.

I dont understand whats so hard about this Byrd contract. There was a thing posted the other day about what the figures of his contract would look like and it came up with 5 years 45 million with 20 million guaranteed. I dont understand why that is so hard. Its like were making it out to be an 80 million dollar contract which i highly doubt its anything close to that high. He is a top 2 or 3 safety in this league just pay him

I dont understand whats so hard about this Byrd contract. There was a thing posted the other day about what the figures of his contract would look like and it came up with 5 years 45 million with 20 million guaranteed. I dont understand why that is so hard. Its like were making it out to be an 80 million dollar contract which i highly doubt its anything close to that high. He is a top 2 or 3 safety in this league just pay him

It takes two to tango. If Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league then he needs to reset his expectations.

I'm not convinced that a market exists for Byrd.

A lot of teams made moves at safety and this was a really good year for safeties.

I'm just not convinced that there's a team willing to send us a first rounder for the right to sign Byrd to a 5-year, $42 million contract.

Certainly as a non-exclusive franchise player there has been no interest in signing him to an offer sheet. Of course that would give the Bills 2 first rounders as compensation so obviously no one is gonna do that.

But even at the discounted price of 1 first rounder, I'm not seeing who the buyers are.

that right there is what scares me even more. Since the market might be "softer" then we only get a 2nd rounder out of the deal.

We have to remember, this isn't about what other teams are willing to give up for an all pro safety. This is about what the Bills are willing to sign him for. And personally I don't think they are willing to make Jairus one of the top 3 highest safeties in the league. Which means Jairus won't be willing to sign here or his franchise tag. Which means a holdout (just like his agents other problem child Peters) which means the Bills hand will be forced to deal him. And if the market isn't there for a stud FS, then we won't get as much as we should.

that right there is what scares me even more. Since the market might be "softer" then we only get a 2nd rounder out of the deal.

We have to remember, this isn't about what other teams are willing to give up for an all pro safety. This is about what the Bills are willing to sign him for. And personally I don't think they are willing to make Jairus one of the top 3 highest safeties in the league. Which means Jairus won't be willing to sign here or his franchise tag. Which means a holdout (just like his agents other problem child Peters) which means the Bills hand will be forced to deal him. And if the market isn't there for a stud FS, then we won't get as much as we should.

If he sits out a season, not only would he lose the money for the season. He'd have the same issue next season and it would significantly drop his value. He'll sign it. When would be the question.

I think another scenario could be like the one when we franchised Clements. He agrees to sign his franchise, provided we cannot franchise him again. He plays the year out, and then is gone.

I hope that's not it, but it's very plausible.

If he sits out a season, not only would he lose the money for the season. He'd have the same issue next season and it would significantly drop his value. He'll sign it. When would be the question.

Jason Peters defenately Didnt cause any problems. Why should we worry? Amiright?