George Sauer dies at 69. Didn't realize he was anti-football

bbb

RIP. Personally, I thought he was a little more vanilla...

http://www.cfsauer.com/company/

Interesting.

Almost like a small, regional version of Durkee or McCormick.

That makes him spicy in my book.

Seriously though, people who don't want to click on the link and read the article should at least read this quote:

“He didn’t want to be anything but a poet and a writer,” John Dockery, a former Jets teammate and roommate during road games, recalled in a 2008 interview, “but he was given skills he didn’t want. He wanted something else. He walked away from the money, from everything, because it was too painful for him.”

Sauer expressed his misgivings about the football life in an article in The Times in 1983.

“My passion for the game was not sufficient,” he wrote. “Football is an ambiguous sport, depending both on grace and violence. It both glorifies and destroys bodies.

At the time, I could not reconcile the apparent inconsistency. I care even less about being a public person. You stick out too much, the world enlarges around you to dangerous proportions, and you are too evident to too many others. There is a vulnerability in this and, oddly enough, some guilt involved in standing out.

Some "guilt involved in standing out?"

Okily dokily.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

[quote name='San Jose Bills Fan' timestamp='1368335858' post='

Seriously though, people who don't want to click on the link and read the article should at least read this quote:

“He didn’t want to be anything but a poet and a writer,” John Dockery, a former Jets teammate and roommate during road games, recalled in a 2008 interview, “but he was given skills he didn’t want. He wanted something else. He walked away from the money, from everything, because it was too painful for him.”

Sauer expressed his misgivings about the football life in an article in The Times in 1983.

“My passion for the game was not sufficient,” he wrote. “Football is an ambiguous sport, depending both on grace and violence. It both glorifies and destroys bodies.

At the time, I could not reconcile the apparent inconsistency. I care even less about being a public person. You stick out too much, the world enlarges around you to dangerous proportions, and you are too evident to too many others. There is a vulnerability in this and, oddly enough, some guilt involved in standing out.

Some "guilt involved in standing out?"

Deeper thinker than most. I always liked him. Little guy wide receiver who played great! Kinda like.. Well, you know..

RIP GS Jr. Thanks for the memories!

i didnt realize he hated the game either. i certainly remember him , thought he was maybe different in the sense people were in the rebellious stage of the 60's but not to that degree. hope he died with peace of mind.. shame he could not have reconciled his feelings with his corresponding natural ability.