Good news for Torell Troupe and Marcus Easley??

Dopey

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be shocked but he would have to beat out Brad Smith and Kevin Elliot based on the assumption they keep 6 WR's. His other opportunity is if Da'Rick Rogers isn't locked into a roster spot. I'd also have to challenge that all of them definitely have "more skills" than Easley. He can't stay healthy but he has talent.

No way that the Bills will expose Da'Rick Rogers to the practice squad, especially if he has a solid camp. Someone else would definately sign him (especially if he stays clean and has a respectable camp). He is the wild card for a couple other of the WR's. His play during camp will directly effect Easley, and Smith.

Easley was healthy and "ready to go" last season. Yet he couldn't beat out guys like Ruvell Martin and 3rd string QB Smith for a WR spot on a team starving for WRs.

I think his free ride/Bills gym membership is about to expire..

I have no idea what Easley can do and I am not defending him. However I have zero faith in any personnel decisions made by the previous coaching staff. This staff immediately cut two of last years season opening starting WR.

I would be shocked if Easley makes the roster. The Bills brought in 3 rookies to complete, al of which have more skills than Easley. Marcus is going to have to do somethign amazing in camp to make this team.

Troupe -- I keep forgetting he is still around -- he'll be cut after he hurts himself in camp - it's inevitable.

I don't know that he will get hurt in camp but i would love to see the Bills get something out of the investment that they have made in him !

I agree with Stevie, Woods, Rogers, Kaufman, Graham, & Goodwin i think it will be near impossible odds given a new coaching staff that he makes the team but it would be nice if they could trade him for a late round pick or something ...

They do have 3 years invested in the guy after all :wallbash:

You must have missed this during the offseason almost "every receiver on the roster in 2012" is no longer on the roster in 2013.

(This is a good thing BTW)

You must have missed the point that he couldn't beat out even the guys cut from last year's roster.

I have no idea what Easley can do and I am not defending him. However I have zero faith in any personnel decisions made by the previous coaching staff. This staff immediately cut two of last years season opening starting WR.

My post was refuting at least 3 "if Easley is healthy/ready to go" posts. He has been healthy since at least the 2012 offseason. Even former "Megamind" Chan Gailey would have been able to figure out if Easley was better than Ruvell Martin.

You must have missed the point that he couldn't beat out even the guys cut from last year's roster.

My post was refuting at least 3 "if Easley is healthy/ready to go" posts. He has been healthy since at least the 2012 offseason. Even former "Megamind" Chan Gailey would have been able to figure out if Easley was better than Ruvell Martin.

Apparently not, Easley is currently on the rooster and Martin is not.

Graham is a lock

No way, 50/50 at best....

locks

-Stevie

-woods

-Goodwin

The rest:

Da'rick (might be the most talented of the bunch. A steal if drugs and attitude are behind him)

Smith (if he focuses on WR he might be good, certainly has size and speed, never caught on in old offense as wr)

Graham (great straight line speed, didn't do much, remember drops and issues with routes and offense, if fixed a good shot, if not, ciao)

Dickerson(stuck as small h back and TE was a waste, but nice highlight reel from college showing wr hands and speed, might make most of last shot)

Easley (probably a hardy like fizzle but again, could make most of last shot in new offense)

Kaufman ( could just be the new Nelson tall and off to a good start..)

---------

Graham is not so clearly better than all of these maybes. He does not have the promising rookie tag anymore like woods and Goodwin have, and drafting goodwin might have been a clear indication they dont think Graham's is going to make it.

Easley was not used as a WR. Special teams. Doesn't count in this discussion. In fact, that's the point.

Martin was used as a gunner, and I'm pretty sure Chan himself said something along the lines of his special teams ability was the deciding factor regarding his roster spot.

I think Chan had a problem trusting younger players and erred on the side of experience when it came to a lot of personnel and lineup decisions. Basically, his way of playing it safe, for better or worse.

Graham is not so clearly better than all of these maybes. He does not have the promising rookie tag anymore like woods and Goodwin have, and drafting goodwin might have been a clear indication they dont think Graham's is going to make it.

To the bolded I think it's more a case of the strong need to increase the talent and competition level at that position.

May the best man (men) win.

I think Chan had a problem trusting younger players and erred on the side of experience when it came to a lot of personnel and lineup decisions. Basically, his way of playing it safe, for better or worse.

Agreed.

Chan didn't really seem that motivated to develop talent. Possibly he and his staff placed a greater premium on being able to avoid mental errors?

No way, 50/50 at best....

locks

-Stevie

-woods

-Goodwin

The rest:

Da'rick (might be the most talented of the bunch. A steal if drugs and attitude are behind him)

Smith (if he focuses on WR he might be good, certainly has size and speed, never caught on in old offense as wr)

Graham (great straight line speed, didn't do much, remember drops and issues with routes and offense, if fixed a good shot, if not, ciao)

Dickerson(stuck as small h back and TE was a waste, but nice highlight reel from college showing wr hands and speed, might make most of last shot)

Easley (probably a hardy like fizzle but again, could make most of last shot in new offense)

Kaufman ( could just be the new Nelson tall and off to a good start..)

---------

Graham is a lock for the roster. No way the team cuts a 3rd rounder going into his second season, especially when they've been raving about him the past month. Goodwin was drafted to add speed to the roster, not to replace graham. You can have multiple small world-class speed WRs. Its not a "one or the other" situation. If they didn;t like Graham, he would have been cut with Nelson and Jones.The fact that the coaching staff gutted the entire WR corps and kept Graham and Stevie as the only 2 WRs with experiences tells you that they think highly of him.

Graham is a lock for the roster. No way the team cuts a 3rd rounder going into his second season, especially when they've been raving about him the past month. Goodwin was drafted to add speed to the roster, not to replace graham. You can have multiple small world-class speed WRs. Its not a "one or the other" situation. If they didn;t like Graham, he would have been cut with Nelson and Jones.The fact that the coaching staff gutted the entire WR corps and kept Graham and Stevie as the only 2 WRs with experiences tells you that they think highly of him.

They also chose to retain Brad Smith in spite of his hefty price tag.

I'll throw this in here seeing as I haven't propped up Brad Smith in awhile but the guy has elite measurables… all of them including size are Adrian Peterson measurements except he's a bit slower in the 40.

The guy hasn't developed as a wideout because no team has committed to making him a wideout. He's always had to divvy his time up.

The guy is an amazing athlete and I think if he commits to one position that he can be excellent and clearly the new regime feels the same way or else he'd be gone.

I still vividly recall the great leaping TD reception Smith had against the Jets…. one of the best TD catches in recent Bills memory.

I'm not writing off Brad Smith and I could easily see the Bills retaining 6 wideouts and keeping only two QBs with Tuel on the practice squad.

Easley on the other hand is an extreme longshot to make the team in my book.

He's not a lock. He showed nothing last year outside of straight-line speed. It's clear they don't just want speed, they want versatility. For example, Goodwinn isn't just really fast, he's also a good blocker, a good route runner, and catches the ball well. Those areas were all question marks for Graham coming out of school, and continue to be. He had 7 drops and 31 catches last year so he dropped over 20% of catchable passes.

He was acquired without this coaching staff's seal of approval so we don't know how high they are on him. Nelson and Jones weren't released, their contracts expired and the Bills let them go. Dickerson and Easley still being here certainly doesn't make them locks to make the roster.

Easley has no chance of making this team. There are 3 (potentially 4) rookies that were brought in to replace the guys AHEAD of him on the depth chart.

On the roster:

Stevie

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

Fighting for 2 spots:

Rogers (Undrafted)

Easley

Kaufman (Undrafted)

Brad Smith

Dickerson

They may even keep 7, but looking at those top candidates for final 2, Easley has a great shot. Only problem I see is if they keep 6 only, Brad Smith is so good on special teams he maye be kept even with the salary.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

WRs- we took this position form being a weak area to a strength

I could see us keeping 6 -7 of these guys.

You can't call anything a strength when it's a bunch of guys who have never played a down in the NFL