Per request, a "Bills most likely to be cap casualties" thread

4th and 5th receivers are expected to play on special teams... Which all these new guys have little experience doing. I'd keep Smith around instead of a 3rd qb

Brad Smith is mediocre at everything he does. Not a good receiver, not much of a return man and certainly not a QB. Smith is never going to be anything more than what he is, and you would like to keep him rather than a rookie with potential?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier in the offseason I was down on Brad Smith but now I think he can be a useful 3rd or 4th WR. He was the better receiver than Graham last year. Gailey had Smith practicing as a quarterback-- allowing him to focus solely on being a WR will help him. And in an offense that'll have west coast elements, his ability to run with the ball will create yards after catch.

I could see the WRs being Stevie, Woods, Smith, Goodwin and Rogers (if he doesn't raise more character concerns), with Graham potentially getting the axe.

I see no way that TJ gets cut. They are obviously building the WR group based on speed and TJ has that to spare. Plus he did well for a rookie last year and I expect that with another camp under his belt he is going to really show what he has this year. If it came down to either TJ or Smith I believe that Smith loses that battle 100 out of 100 times.

I went to pro-football-reference.com and looked up some stats. Just as I expected, Lindell's field goal percentages drop off significantly for FGs beyond 40 yards. Obviously every kicker's statistics drop off for longer ranges, but it seems as though Lindell's dropped off a little more than most. His touchback percentage is also dropping fast. I don't want to trash the guy, I just think it's time to move on.

I hope this coaching staff has no intention of running the wildcat. I just think that Smith is a good all around contributor and a voice of experience which may make it worth keeping him. I don't know anything about his contract (other than he is paid a lot more than most people think he should be), and I don't know how much cap room would be saved by cutting him. If cutting him saves enough cap room to sign somebody else that fills a bigger need, then I would be all for it.

As important as the cap space is the rooster spot. We know who Smith is.

Could one of the numbers guys figure out how much cap space is saved by cutting Smith?

Sorry,found it $3.8 million.

Please please get rid of Brad Smith !! trade him back to the Jets for a future pick !!

If they keep him & let one of these new WR go that will rank up there with bringing in Rob Johnson any way you want to look at it !!

Cheaper but the same out come !! :oops:

Brad Smith is a very very good football player. Any coach would love to have him.

But with the youth and weapons on our roster now, he's a luxury for us.

I'd love to see what a team like Chicago, who could and would use him, would be willing to trade for his services.

Brad Smith is a very very good football player. Any coach would love to have him.

But with the youth and weapons on our roster now, he's a luxury for us.

I'd love to see what a team like Chicago, who could and would use him, would be willing to trade for his services.

Any coach would love to have him? For what? Does he make a fabulous taco dip? Several coaches have had him for 7 seasons, but none can find much for him to do.

My experience with the Bills is Buddy will pay the going price for an average offensive linemen but he won't pay for the best.

So, in reality we need players that play consistently but don't reach the top level. If so................see ya .

Also, the Bills have a bad habit of dumping players at the end of their rookie contract. Not good Buddy.... :thumbdown:

At this rate the Bills will be rebuilding forever........maybe longer.

Edited by HOUSE

Could one of the numbers guys figure out how much cap space is saved by cutting Smith?

Sorry,found it $3.8 million.

$3.8M aint chump change. You're starting to make a believer out of me when you say cut him. I doubt they could trade him for that much money.

$3.8M aint chump change. You're starting to make a believer out of me when you say cut him. I doubt they could trade him for that much money.

The actual cap savings number is $2.75M. Brad Smith isn't going anywhere. Just because Gailey misused him doesn't mean he's getting cut.

I do think Lindell is gone unless this new kicker absolutely falls on his face. I loved Lindell, but he just can't hit the long ones anymore nor reach the endzone, and there's no way I want to carry 2 kickers again.

My experience with the Bills is Buddy will pay the going price for an average offensive linemen but he won't pay for the best.

So, in reality we need players that play consistently but don't reach the top level. If so................see ya .

Also, the Bills have a bad habit of dumping players at the end of their rookie contract. Not good Buddy.... :thumbdown:

Habit? With whom has this been the case under Nix aside from Levitre?

I see no way that TJ gets cut. They are obviously building the WR group based on speed and TJ has that to spare. Plus he did well for a rookie last year and I expect that with another camp under his belt he is going to really show what he has this year. If it came down to either TJ or Smith I believe that Smith loses that battle 100 out of 100 times.

No, he played poorly even for a rookie. Dropped passes, failed to memorize the playbook and where to line up, route running is still a concern as it was coming out of school. And playing for a coaching staff that emphasizes versatility he needs to show he can run precise routes and be useful in more ways than just fly patterns. He has a lot to prove and a lot of talented, versatile players to compete with.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Habit? With whom has this been the case under Nix aside from Levitre?

For the record, in Nix's time here, he made a strong attempt to retain Poz and failed, and failed to retain Whitner even though he ultimately offered Whitner more than Whitner ended up signing for with the Niners.

This year he let Levitre walk.

Those are the three situations you would judge Nix on in terms of player retention.

edit: And every team has players whom they couldn't retain so it becomes a question of judging each specific situation.

Is Nix 3-0 in these situations?

2-1?

1-2?

0-3?

I'm really not sure why we would need to get rid of anyone due to the cap. Yes, you could save money, but why would you think we need cap space this year. If you gave Byrd 8 Million a year that would only be an extra 2 million cap hit this year. It is not like we signed Dansby or any FA to a big contract this year. And it does not look like the Bills plan on signing any more free agents to big contracts. We already have plenty of cap room, and if Lindell is replaced we have his cap room. We will have even more room when we cut down to possibly 6 WR. It seems it would be more about Roster space than cap space this year. Just cutting B Smith would take care of any additional cap space required for a reasonable contract for Byrd for this year. As it is already we have plenty of available cap space after our draft signings.

Edited by simpleman

I'm really not sure why we would need to get rid of anyone due to the cap.

We don't, you're correct.

This regime wants to win as many games out of the gates as possible I believe.

Therefore I think they will make decisions based on who gives them the best chance to win.

I think the only scenario where salary will come into play (personnel wise) is if two players are equal and one costs multiple times as much as the other.

I understand about getting rid of players that don't fit the team's current schemes, or players that don't justify in performance and benefit what they cost. But,since we don't have any worry about cap issues this year, shouldn't we call them potential money saving casualties or roster slot casualties, not cap casualties?

Edited by simpleman

I don't think we're done yet with looking at who is a salary cap casualty who meets what we are trying to do in scheme in a 3-4 defense and this up tempo offense. We haven't signed everyone yet, and we also if saves money can do some things with contracts to have more money next year. If they are really forward thinking they'll use some of this money to sign Wood early, as well as Spiller.

I'm in agreement with several we lose Lindell, and possibly Brad Smith. If they pulled off resigning the above mentioned guys, we are set for improvment for next year. As far as Graham, I think they give him a short leash to learn and execute in the playbook (still kills me if he runs the right route we beat the Patriots two years in a row). With Goodwin, Graham is expendable. He better study and execute or I can see them cutting him in camp this summer.

Any coach would love to have him? For what? Does he make a fabulous taco dip? Several coaches have had him for 7 seasons, but none can find much for him to do.

Hey, something you and I agree on.

The actual cap savings number is $2.75M. Brad Smith isn't going anywhere. Just because Gailey misused him doesn't mean he's getting cut.

I do think Lindell is gone unless this new kicker absolutely falls on his face. I loved Lindell, but he just can't hit the long ones anymore nor reach the endzone, and there's no way I want to carry 2 kickers again.

Where did you come up with $2.7m? The WGR article that started this thread says $3.8m.

Where did you come up with $2.7m? The WGR article that started this thread says $3.8m.

That WGR figure of $3.75M is correct, but it includes bonuses already paid. If we cut him today, we only save $2.75M this year. Here's a few sources more authoritative than our local reporters. Link1 Link 2