Per request, a "Bills most likely to be cap casualties" thread

http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13022419

Personally, I don't know how they cut Pears, even if Hairston is better. Somebody has to be the swing tackle backup. Is that Sanders? Or, is he the new LG? Also, much depends on what happens elsewhere...in KC, for example. They have extra O line, and the Dolphins arlready tried to trade for their LT. For my part, I am really interested in how the Bills approach the O line. I will reserve being concerned about it, until I see the solution, and see if it works.

Brad Smith had the veteran mini-camp of his life a few weeks ago, and that is a good plan for him regardless of what happens. I can see him as gone however, because why play him when we know what his ceiling is, when we have WRs who are already as polished, and they are rooks?

Kicker scares me. For no reason. :lol: It's not rational, It's purely emtional. I am scared of random irony when it comes to kicking. You can imagine why. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of them except Pears as well. He was a starter and played very well. Even if money is the reason, I just don't see it. He's a very solid starter, or at worst backup to Hairston or whoever else wins the RT. and that's if it's not Pears starting as it is.

I don't see Mark Anderson going anywhere, either.

Rian Lindell--buh bye.

Brad Smith--I don't know.

Pears--can't afford to lose him.

Tavaris Jackson--its his career to resuscitate at this point. We won't go into the season with him and Kolb on the roster. Odds aren't in his favor right now.

I don't see Mark Anderson going anywhere, either.

Rian Lindell--buh bye.

Brad Smith--I don't know.

Pears--can't afford to lose him.

Tavaris Jackson--its his career to resuscitate at this point. We won't go into the season with him and Kolb on the roster. Odds aren't in his favor right now.

and I would have said that he's safer than Kolb for the fact that he is similar in playing style as EJ. They can run the same offense. Kolb is more of a pocket passer. Therefore, of Kolb starts or EJ starts, and one of them is injured, now you must change the offense for the other QBs strengths. Jackson just seems to fit more with what they seem to be implementing.

and I would have said that he's safer than Kolb for the fact that he is similar in playing style as EJ. They can run the same offense. Kolb is more of a pocket passer. Therefore, of Kolb starts or EJ starts, and one of them is injured, now you must change the offense for the other QBs strengths. Jackson just seems to fit more with what they seem to be implementing.

I agree, I just can't imagine that Kolb's new contract is setup that he can be cut four months after he signed and the Bills won't get dinged.

It seems like Brad Smith is the most logical based on his salary vs. contribution.

Some of the old whippin' boys are gone like Kelsey and even George Wilson.

I would expect Lindell to be cut too.

I see Smith gone for sure and am not really the least bit concerned about it. It certainly soulds like Lindell is gone. This is the second year in a row that they have tried to replace him - soon or later that will happen. I like Pears and would like to see him stay. We need depth on the O-Line that we don't have so why cut some of the proven depth.

As far as Jackson vs. Kolb, I think it's Jackson that will go. I am guessing that when the Bills signed Kolb they knew they would be drafting Manuel. If they knew that and still signed Kolb, there must be a reason.

What about Choice being a cap casuality? -- Gailey is no longer there to protect him.

I agree, I just can't imagine that Kolb's new contract is setup that he can be cut four months after he signed and the Bills won't get dinged.

Actually, it is. He only gets $1 mil (can’t believe I just typed only $1 mil) of that contract if he doesn’t make it out of camp.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/9/4205198/kevin-kolb-contract-details-buffalo-bills-stopgap

What about Choice being a cap casuality? -- Gailey is no longer there to protect him.

Yeah in light of the personnel moves so far by the new regime, I was very surprised when they re-signed Choice.

I could see a scenario where all of the players mentioned by Joel B are retained by the Bills.

I disagree with Joel B in that I think the most likely casualties are TJax and possibly Lindell if the kid kicker shows he's up to the job. If the kid is equal to Lindell, the Bills will go with the savings.

I still believe that Brad Smith and Erik Pears are safe. So basically Joel B's most likely cuts are my most safe.

I could see Mark Anderson being a surprise cut, less of a surprise if he doesn't pass a physical or if they think he's not 100% fit.

Heres the way i see it:

Mark Anderson isn't going anywhere. My bet is he has a great year.

Rian Lindell--buh bye. No need to spend 3 mil on a kicker who dominates from 30 yds and under.

Brad Smith-- Nice guy but really doesnt fit what it looks like they are gonna do. Too much young talent at that position for him to hang around at his cap numbers.

Pears-- Give me a break, he isn't going anywhere. He's one of our top 4 lineman right now.

Tavaris Jackson-- Goodbye, thx for the memories (oh thats right there are none) good luck at your next stop.

I don't believe that Hopkins was drafted to compete with Lindell he was drafted to replace him. The kid was one of the beat kickers in the nation and had a huge leg. The Bills punted from the 32 last year!! They cannot leave points out there like that anymore. Lindell may hang through camp to keep Hopkins leg fresh but he won't be on the roster this year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Earlier in the offseason I was down on Brad Smith but now I think he can be a useful 3rd or 4th WR. He was the better receiver than Graham last year. Gailey had Smith practicing as a quarterback-- allowing him to focus solely on being a WR will help him. And in an offense that'll have west coast elements, his ability to run with the ball will create yards after catch.

I could see the WRs being Stevie, Woods, Smith, Goodwin and Rogers (if he doesn't raise more character concerns), with Graham potentially getting the axe.

I billieve Smith to be as good as gone. He has shown that he has absolutely nothing to offer that a rookie couldn't, IMHO.

TJax's days are numbered as well. Kolb, Like Kelly was, is not mobile and still perfectly capable of running a fast paced, hurry up, offense. Manuel, who will start, adds an extra dimention.

Pears is not going anywhere. So one of our 2 right tackles makes starter money and the other doesn't. Who cares which one is the actual starter, given that he wins the job due to superior performance. Either would prove to be a back up with little drop off.

Mark Anderson...shows up healthy and ready to go...no way he gets cut. Otherwise, he's in danger.

Lindel and Potter will both get axed if the f'nug out kicks them in camp.

Choice may be a prime candidate. With the addition of a couple of UDFA pounders and the presence of Dickerson and Gragg as HB's, I wouldn't be surprised. Also, don't we still have White?

Kyle Williams could be a surprise cut if he's not healthy.

He would have to be broken. Do you not recall who KW is? The guy has been a 2 time pro bowler and is fantastically effective when healthy. I understand your comment to a point, but I would be more than shocked were this to happen. Let's all hope for a big year from KW.

Earlier in the offseason I was down on Brad Smith but now I think he can be a useful 3rd or 4th WR. He was the better receiver than Graham last year. Gailey had Smith practicing as a quarterback-- allowing him to focus solely on being a WR will help him. And in an offense that'll have west coast elements, his ability to run with the ball will create yards after catch.

I could see the WRs being Stevie, Woods, Smith, Goodwin and Rogers (if he doesn't raise more character concerns), with Graham potentially getting the axe.

I completely agree with everything you said about Brad Smith but I believe that his contact will ultimately cause him to get cut. This is assuming the rookie WRs show that they can contribute right away. If they struggle, BS has a shot.

I disagree with your statement that Graham could potentially get cut, I think he is basically a lock to make the team. He was impressive in the voluntary workouts (I know playing in shorts doesn’t mean a lot) and I don’t think there is any way we cut ties with our 3rd round pick from last season if he shows even a tiny bit of improvement. WRs typically take a few years to develop and you can’t teach speed.

Lindel and Potter will both get axed if the f'nug out kicks them in camp.

Choice may be a prime candidate. With the addition of a couple of UDFA pounders and the presence of Dickerson and Gragg as HB's, I wouldn't be surprised. Also, don't we still have White?

Potter got the axe last season. The Packers signed White off our practice squad. He ended up on IR and was released with an injury settlement. I believe that both are currently FAs.

Choice should be gone as well. I was surprised that we resigned him. He is mediocre at best with no upside. I’d have to think there is someone better than him that we can bring in…and maybe we did with the UDFAs. Camp is going to be interesting.

Edited by cnico