Charles Barkley wins an Emmy. Huh???

major

I saw last night that Charles Barkley won an Emmy for his work on inside the nba on TNT. Honestly I think 99% of you on this board could do the job chuck does. To me he comes across as ignorant when he talks sports. He doesn't give expert analysis, he only gives his opinions in brash and sarcastic tones. I guess that means each of us deserves an Emmy as well.

Sir Charles is just about the only thing I like about the NBA. He's knowledgeable, funny, and will say anything. The only other sports commentator I can think of who does all 3 of those is Keith Hernandez (who can actually make watching the Mets entertaining, and that's no small feat).

Barkley is a fantastic in-studio commentator. Besides the NBA, he was also very good during CBS' coverage of the NCAA tourney.

It's really "turrible" of you to say otherwise.

Edited by eball

Sir Charles is just about the only thing I like about the NBA. He's knowledgeable, funny, and will say anything. The only other sports commentator I can think of who does all 3 of those is Keith Hernandez (who can actually make watching the Mets entertaining, and that's no small feat).

How could you not like him? His image may be a bit brash but he is a very nice guy and doesn't carry that heir of horseshit like Michael Jordan does ...

All of this. I dont follow basketball, but if Im flipping around and see their studio show is on, I'll stop and see what he has to say.

I've met Sir Charles twice, and he was surprisingly nice, genuine, and down to hang out. I also ran into Shaq the other day and he was even nicer. Of course, given their stations in life, they should be that happy and nice, but it's good to see.

I am a big NBA fan and LOVE Sir Charles. A couple of years ago he told people to turn the channel at halftime because the game was boring. He said if he didnt have to watch it he wouldnt. He is so brutally honest that it is refreshing. I will take Charles telling ti like it is any day of the week over the 10,000 some odd other talking heads that try to say as little as possible to not offend anyone. Barkley does not care who he offends.

How could you not like him? His image may be a bit brash but he is a very nice guy and doesn't carry that heir of horseshit like Michael Jordan does ...

True dat.

There has to be a few more commentators out there like that, but none are coming to mind right now. I'm kicking myself right now since I can't think of more.

Charles was golfing at a pro am. We lived across the street from the Jaime Farr LPGA course being used. A stray ball went and hit a little girl, my neighbor Sadah , age 9. It made her ankle purple and sore but not too bad. He took her entire family to dinner and gave them a bunch of stuff as well as tickets to the events etc as personal guests.

for all those questioning...this is a sports broadcasters emmy award, not your typical emmy that goes to serial, sit-com, drama actors...this isn't even associated with the broadcasters emmy...this is a separate award and ceremony shared only by the name emmy. There are at least 10 separate emmy award categories

Barkley is the man. He is great at his job IMO.....pooj I gotta disagree with you on shaq though...IMO the show was better with just the three Kenny/chuck/Ernie.

I watch a ton of nba and the bulls/heat series is AWESOME...was thinking about starting a thread about it (my Lebron hate is back, what a wuss).

But Charles deserves all accolades IMO.

don't start a thread about it unless you want to get a bunch of BS about how much the nba and its players suck. i love the nba, i find it incredibly entertaining and they are the best players in the world, so much fun to see that kind of talent in almost non-stop action. I can't hate on lebron, he's just too damn good!

Barkley is the man. He is great at his job IMO.....pooj I gotta disagree with you on shaq though...IMO the show was better with just the three Kenny/chuck/Ernie.

I watch a ton of nba and the bulls/heat series is AWESOME...was thinking about starting a thread about it (my Lebron hate is back, what a wuss).

But Charles deserves all accolades IMO.

for all those questioning...this is a sports broadcasters emmy award, not your typical emmy that goes to serial, sit-com, drama actors...this isn't even associated with the broadcasters emmy...this is a separate award and ceremony shared only by the name emmy. There are at least 10 separate emmy award categories

Thanks for the clarity.