Sabres announce Ron Rolston as Permanent HC

1. Keep your GM who should have never been extended and should have been canned with the coach.

2. Announce raising of ticket prices on the same day as #1.

3. Hire the interim coach as your full time coach, despite the fact he did very little (from my point of view) to change the culture or inspire the team down the stretch. They looked just as listless as ever under him.

4. Steal underpants

5. ???

6. Win Stanley Cup

I think that remains to be seen. The Sabres were 8pts over .500 with him at the helm...and as I have said, after listening to him quite a bit this past season, I don't think he is any Lindy Ruff clone...as the interim coach, with Ruffs' staff, taking over during a break-neck, condensed season, with very little practice time, I think you could make the argument (one which Pegula & Darcy buy apparently) that he did a decent job. Hearing him talk a lot, I get the feeling that he is a lot different than Lindy, has a lot of different ideas, and seems, at least, to be more comfortable with younger guys than Ruff was. If you take into account that when Rolston took over, it took the team a good 10 games or so to adjust...

Like everyone, I would have liked a more exciting pick, but there is reason to have hope with Rolston. The roster, I am sure, will be younger next season. As much as I liked Lindy, the idea of him bringing along a unique talent like Grigorenko made me nervous. I think the kids who have been coming up from Rochester over the last few seasons, who were coached by Rolston, look pretty good. By all accounts, Rolston puts a lot more emphasis on the basics, than Lindy, and other NHL coaches seem to. Rolston could be huge here. We have seen Tyler Myers regress year after year under Ruff... it could all be just BS, but Myers loved the individual attention he got from Rolston down the stretch, and his play did improve a bit as the season wore on.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15-11-5. Over 82 games that equates to about 92 points, which would typically get us into the playoffs as an 8th seed. So actually, the guy did a pretty good job considering the situation he was handed. I have no problem giving the guy a shot, but like most my beef is with Regier.

That's actually what I was going to to figure out so thanks for doing it for me!

Not sure the details of the Sabres/Wild deal, but I heard the same thing...I think (kind of guessing here) that the pick the Wild had two first round picks...the farther they went in the playoffs, with Pomminville, the higher the Sabres pick would become...the chances of the Wild beating the Blackhawks seemed pretty far-fetched to me, so I didn't give it a lot of thought.

I didn't think it was that far-fetched the way hockey goes. How many 7 and 8 seeds make very long runs it seems every year.

This doesn't show them having two picks, and definitely not in the top five, so it's really weird, but I guess I'll stop thinking about it now!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_Entry_Draft#cite_note-8