HIGW, Democracy Style!

Is Bigfatbillsfan correct about global warming?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. So, is he?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • !@#$ you, Bigfatbillsfan... just, !@#$ you.

"I think the one thing we can all agree on is that there is a correlation between CO2 emissions and the greenhouse effect. While correlation is not proof of causation, it is very strong evidence that CO2 emissions have a causal relationship with the greenhouse effect. Therefore the greenhouse effect is man made and is responsible for Global Warming which is why the average temperature around the globe has declined. Also, there's an extremely high correlation between gun violence and car ownership. That much is indisputable. However, the correlation between gun violence and car ownership is in no way reflective of a causal relationship because everyone knows that correlation alone is NOT evidence of causation."

"I think the one thing we can all agree on is that there is a correlation between CO2 emissions and the greenhouse effect. While correlation is not proof of causation, it is very strong evidence that CO2 emissions have a causal relationship with the greenhouse effect. Therefore the greenhouse effect is man made and is responsible for Global Warming which is why the average temperature around the globe has declined. Also, there's an extremely high correlation between gun violence and car ownership. That much is indisputable. However, the correlation between gun violence and car ownership is in no way reflective of a causal relationship because everyone knows that correlation alone is NOT evidence of causation."

Its a tricky subject. While I agree with BFBF in theory, I will need to see the CCM model linking CO2 emissions to the Greenhouse effect, to man made global warming and the resulting falling global temperatures, regressed against a plot of gun violence as a function of car ownership before I'm comfortable drawing any conclusions.

So I would say that I agree with half of the above statement, but not that half. Not the half that you're thinking of. I only agree with the other half. The more I think about it, I'm not so sure I agree with the other half either.

In conclusion, !@#$ you, Bigfatbillsfan... just, !@#$ you!

Edited by Jauronimo

I wouldn't consider myself a sociologist, nor have I claimed that sociology is a hard science. It's just the overall study of social relationships and popular behavior. It's not like Physics or Biology.

This is not even my position on the matter. But anyways, just to muddy the waters I voted for !@#$ you BFBF just !@#$ you.

Aptitude in Sociology, couched in the false assumption that this is the only field in which advanced statistical methodology is used, being put forward as an "argument ender", on this board, of all places? :lol: Nice. The phrase: "thrown to the wolves" comes to mind.

I know that an experienced marketing(the only useful application of sociology) person would at least ensure that they knew the audience first, right?

Aptitude in Sociology, couched in the false assumption that this is the only field in which advanced statistical methodology is used, being put forward as an "argument ender", on this board, of all places? :lol: Nice. The phrase: "thrown to the wolves" comes to mind.

I know that an experienced marketing(the only useful application of sociology) person would at least ensure that they knew the audience first, right?

Statistics is used in almost every field of study. Nor did I claim it was an argument ender.

Statistics is used in almost every field of study. Nor did I claim it was an argument ender.

Right, that's what happened. You didn't haul out the " I have a masters degree and I've been doing advanced stats for 3 years". You didn't try to posit that as a "I know this and you don't" argument...on a board that is rife with know it alls, from all sorts of fields, all of whom use stats on a daily basis, and many of whom have been doing it for a lot more than 3 years.

None of that happened.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Right, that's what happened. You didn't haul out the " I have a masters degree and I've been doing advanced stats for 3 years". You didn't try to posit that as a "I know this and you don't" argument...on a board that is rife with know it alls, from all sorts of fields, all of whom use stats on a daily basis, and many of whom have been doing it for a lot more than 3 years.

None of that happened.

I said I've been running statistics, not advanced stats. I did not however claim that my knowledge of stats is an argument ender.

None of that happened.

Don't forget the part where he hauled out "I have a master's degree," then bitched about other people bragging about their pedigrees.

BF-squared's posting patterns only make sense if you assume he has some physical infirmary that inhibits remembering anything beyond three minutes ago. Dumbass doesn't even know what he's posting on a post-to-post basis.

Don't forget the part where he hauled out "I have a master's degree," then bitched about other people bragging about their pedigrees.

BF-squared's posting patterns only make sense if you assume he has some physical infirmary that inhibits remembering anything beyond three minutes ago. Dumbass doesn't even know what he's posting on a post-to-post basis.

First off, I just received my masters. It's not like I'm some sort of mover and shaker in the world of sociology. I don't even work in the field at the moment. I'm just letting you my argument has some weight behind it due to knowledge of statistics and data management. You're the only bitching that at some degrees aren't "real degrees".

Does your brain produce some sort of chemical that confuses you when it comes to what someone else said verses what you said?

You're and idiot, and a !@#$ing moron.

Oh... and I almost forgot. You're also Captain Straw Man!!

I'm just letting you my argument has some weight behind it due to knowledge of statistics and data management. You're the only bitching that at some degrees aren't "real degrees".

Maybe you should head back to whatever paper mill gave you your diploma and ask for a class or two in "proof reading".

Maybe you should head back to whatever paper mill gave you your diploma and ask for a class or two in "proof reading".

If this were a paper for school I would agree with you. But this is a football message board. It's really not that important. So no, I'm not going to waste my time proof reading posts. If you can't deduce that the work "one" should have been in there you're as big a moron as Tom.