10 yards for Holding is way too harsh!

OnTheRocks

This has been on my mind for a long time. I meant to bring it up a few weeks ago.

The NFL keeps shooting itself in the foot. A team like the Baltimore Ravens for example spends years building a powerful defense, and the NFL comes along with one swipe and screws them with enforcing this 5 yard no contact rule on defenses.

Yeah...sure, it's been on the books, but they decide to enforce it this year?

The NFL did this to open up the game a bit for offenses. But why would they screw a few good teams who have spent time building quality defenses?

If they are looking to find a place in the game to help offenses...how about cutting the Offensive holding penalty to 5 yards. The 10 yarder is SUCH a DRIVE KILLER!

This has been on my mind for a long time.  I meant to bring it up a few weeks ago.

The NFL keeps shooting itself in the foot.  A team like the Baltimore Ravens for example spends years building a powerful defense, and the NFL comes along with one swipe and screws them with enforcing this 5 yard no contact rule on defenses.

The NFL did this to open up the game a bit for offenses.  But why would they screw a few good teams who have spent time building quality defenses?

If they are looking to find a place in the game to help offenses...how about cutting the Offensive holding penalty to 5 yards.  The 10 yarder is SUCH a DRIVE KILLER!

200435[/snapback]

Or they could actually call it when it's merited instead of when it's convenient. The number of ignored holds that affect plays is stupifying when compared to the ones that are actually called.

Props to the officials in yesterday's Colts' game who actually called a couple of meaningful holding penalties against the Broncos when they were tackling Dwight Freeney on virtually every passing play.

This has been on my mind for a long time.  I meant to bring it up a few weeks ago.

The NFL keeps shooting itself in the foot.  A team like the Baltimore Ravens for example spends years building a powerful defense, and the NFL comes along with one swipe and screws them with enforcing this 5 yard no contact rule on defenses.

The NFL did this to open up the game a bit for offenses.  But why would they screw a few good teams who have spent time building quality defenses?

If they are looking to find a place in the game to help offenses...how about cutting the Offensive holding penalty to 5 yards.  The 10 yarder is SUCH a DRIVE KILLER!

200435[/snapback]

Well, there was a time when Holding was 15 yards !!!!

Or they could actually call it when it's merited instead of when it's convenient.  The number of ignored holds that affect plays is stupifying when compared to the ones that are actually called.

Props to the officials in yesterday's Colts' game who actually called a couple of meaningful holding penalties against the Broncos when they were tackling Dwight Freeney on virtually every passing play.

200443[/snapback]

i suppose that's true too, but it has been said, that if the officials called holding everytime there actually was holding, there would be a flag on virtually every play.

its simple. holding by the O-Line should be 10 yards. basicaly they think if there was no holding the QB would have been sacked. or teh RB would have been tackled for a loss. a sack is usually 8-10 yards.

also, anytime you sack the QB there is a good chance for a fumble. so 10 yards is not that bad, since you were going to loose 8 yards and a posable fumble.

atleast you get to have the down back. 1st and 20 is alot better than 2nd and 20.

Guest BackInDaDay

200435[/snapback]

Let's get back to OTR's point - Defensive holding.

You're absolutely right. As one analyst expressed, there will be no such thing as a 'shut-down corner' in the NFL's future. How'ld you like to spend a fortune on a Champ Bailey, and then find he'll have to change the techniques that brought him his All-Pro, best-in-the-business status.

I don't think the league will take this 'holding' off the books, but I do see them refining the penalty to equal an offisides - 5yds, repeat the down if accepted.

They cannot continue to reward an O with automatic first-downs when a CB barely touches a receiver as he's passed off to a S. There's more contact in the NBA, and they don't wear pads :D

At first, I read your title as "10 years for holding is way too harsh!"

So in a way, 10 penalty yards for holding isn't that bad. It could be MUCH worse.

200602[/snapback]

10 years for "holding" would be a bit harsh too.

Unless is was with intent to distribute.