Happy Cinco de Mayo

My grandmother was born and raised in Mexico and I never once heard of Cinco de Mayo until about 15 years ago.

What region was she born and raised in? Cinco de Mayo (Battle of Puebla) is a regional holiday and gained prominance with the American west portion that once was Mexico... Unlike the 16th of September (Mexican Independence Day). I suppose it can be like Dyngus Day... Ask Polish people right from Poland and they probably never heard of it. Now, ask a guy on the East Side of BFLO... LoL... Or in of all places: South Bend, Indiana and you will get a whole another reaction.

What region was she born and raised in? Cinco de Mayo (Battle of Puebla) is a regional holiday and gained prominance with the American west portion that once was Mexico... Unlike the 16th of September (Mexican Independence Day). I suppose it can be like Dyngus Day... Ask Polish people right from Poland and they probably never heard of it. Now, ask a guy on the East Side of BFLO... LoL... Or in of all places: South Bend, Indiana and you will get a whole another reaction.

She was born and raised in Mexico City. I don't know what region that is considered.

She was born and raised in Mexico City. I don't know what region that is considered.

Interesting... My sister inlaw is from Mexico (not Mexico City)... BUT I do sense a cultural divide between say the Mexico City "culture" region and say the border areas... I guess kinda like any country... Cinco de Mayo does have to do with the French, not Spanish.

I honestly don't think it was such a big deal until Americans needed a reason to party in early May.

From what I've heard, St. Pat's Day is more of a religious day, like Christmas, in Ireland. Dyngus Day - I don't even know if anybody in Poland knows what that is!