Florida Legislature refuses giving aid to Dolphins...

for refurbishing their stadium....

Fla. Legislature refuses to aid Miami Dolphins

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida's oldest professional sports franchise - the Miami Dolphins - was dealt a crushing blow Friday when the Florida Legislature ended its session without passing any funding plan that would assist the team's quest to refurbish its stadium. The refusal of the GOP-controlled Legislature to aid the team wasn't just a defeat for the Dolphins - it could also sack South Florida's efforts to lure another Super Bowl to the region in the next few years.

Others who lost out include the city of Orlando, which was hoping for help to lure a Major League Soccer team, as well as the Jacksonville Jaguars and Daytona International Speedway. The professional sports teams were all backing a Florida Senate proposal that would have allowed each of them to compete for a share of state tax dollars. The measure would have created a process for pro teams to vie for $13 million a year in state incentives.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise at all after the Marlins debacle. What are the taxpayers of Miami-Dade on the hook for with the new stadium? 1.2 billion if not more? It will be a fun 20 years in that white elephant of a stadium with crowds of 500 people. Loria ruined it for all the other fat cats.

Now if the 49 other states would follow suit we might be getting somewhere.

Expecting tax payers to fund NFL stadiums is ludicrous. The NFL makes over 9 billion a year collectively and people without the slightest interest in football are forced to pay the bill? Its fascist and its criminal.

If you think you can pursued senior citizens on a fixed income and a largely Cuban population to pay more taxes for pro sports, its not going to happen.

Edited by HOUSE

Why can't they have future SB's in Miami as a result of this defeat?

They can but its typical they are awarded with a major city/stadium improvement plan in place. It will make it up hill fighting to secure the bids. Especially when other stadiums are receiving renovations and cities are willing to commit big bucks in order to secure.

For instance, New Orleans, for its 2018 bid (presumably) will be fully renovating the airport, river front, and likely moderate stadium upgrades.

Edited by NoSaint

The NFL along with the owners of the team should be the ones footing the bill for these stadiums.

They should have a rule in place giving the team with the oldest stadium the most help financially every 2 years to build a brand new stadium .

Something like a 70/30 split NFL 70% Team owners 30% and the city pays for the up keep from the revenue as their piece of the puzzle .

Award a team this every 2 years . Seeing as they make a annual $9 Billion a year annually $1.2 to $1.6 billion every 2 years (which would be out of $18 billion over that time) isn't going to hurt there over all profit to keep team buildings state of the art .

After 32 teams every 2 years by the time you would get to the 32nd team it would be 64 years at $1.6 billion that would be $51.2 billion spent out of $288 billion made over that time period .

Which if it was a 70/30 split these numbers would be less for all involved...

The cities & teams could then have the responsibility of the up keep from the revenues that the building would bring in b/c in the Bills situation it would create a water front stadium & sports museum for the entire region to enjoy in the off season .

Edited by T master

The old "Well, we just might have to move to LA" ploy. I'm glad they are using that same old threat. If they use it in enough cities, maybe it will lose it's effectiveness. Crying wolf again, the bastards.

The whole stadium blackmail tactics are a complete disgrace, right up there with Wall St. bailouts. It's sickens me. I have not directly given the Bills a dollar since 1991.

The old "Well, we just might have to move to LA" ploy. I'm glad they are using that same old threat. If they use it in enough cities, maybe it will lose it's effectiveness. Crying wolf again, the bastards.

The whole stadium blackmail tactics are a complete disgrace, right up there with Wall St. bailouts. It's sickens me. I have not directly given the Bills a dollar since 1991.

It's a simple script as long as LA is open.

Hold the warm weather cities hostage with Super Bowl bids, then use relocation on everyone and anyone.

The nfl has made more by keeping LA open than a successful franchise in the city would make them. A situation would have to be pretty ugly to have the nfl cash in that chip.

They can but its typical they are awarded with a major city/stadium improvement plan in place. It will make it up hill fighting to secure the bids. Especially when other stadiums are receiving renovations and cities are willing to commit big bucks in order to secure.

For instance, New Orleans, for its 2018 bid (presumably) will be fully renovating the airport, river front, and likely moderate stadium upgrades.

No offense, but visitors to NO don't care about the condition of the airport or the riverfront!

If you think you can pursued senior citizens on a fixed income and a largely Cuban population to pay more taxes for pro sports, its not going to happen.

You forgot about the haitians.

A rare victory for common sense. Bravo FL legislature.

I was beginning to think that no one would ever be able to use "common sense" and "legislature" together.

I can see NY stiffing the Bills, but I can't imagine them not throwing money at any NYC teams.

Probably in an attempt to get money, the Dolphins are now saying without $$$ help for upgrades, they may move....

http://sports.yahoo....25434--nfl.html

I hear Toronto wants a team.

Edited by CodeMonkey

A rare victory for common sense. Bravo FL legislature.

Agreed...

There are now mountains of evidence showing that professional sports and stadiums are not the economic engines they were once thought to be. It is also becoming less likely that owners can hold cities hostage.

I realize these thoughts could one day put the Bills presence in Buffalo at risk. However, the idea of governments writing huge checks for stadiums in light of all the other fiscal challenges faced by governments is a distasteful one.

Agreed...

There are now mountains of evidence showing that professional sports and stadiums are not the economic engines they were once thought to be. It is also becoming less likely that owners can hold cities hostage.

I realize these thoughts could one day put the Bills presence in Buffalo at risk. However, the idea of governments writing huge checks for stadiums in light of all the other fiscal challenges faced by governments is a distasteful one.

I agree and also have a lot of ambivalence as it relates to the Bills.

It would be an interesting poll question to ask whether people would be good with NYS/Erie County kicking in $1 billion towards a stadium to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

edit: Full disclosure is that I'd hate to see the Bills leave Buffalo and also living out here I wouldn't pay any of the economic cost of the $1 billion so I would favor government subsidy.

Ultimately it's a question for New Yorkers, particularly Western New Yorkers.

It would be an interesting poll question to ask whether people would be good with NYS/Erie County kicking in $1 billion towards a stadium to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Erie County ..no problem at all.

NYS ... no !@#$ing way.

I live in Rochester so Erie county can do what they want but I don't want any of my money going to a stadium, ANY stadium.