If true, interesting insight into why Geno Smith fell in draft

Nope they only get cut

Sincerely,

Drew Brees

Only when you have another one in the wings.

Sincerely, Drew Bledsoe.

(Ps - Brees wasn't cut.

Sincerely, Brett Favre)

Edited by GG

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see why more people are not excited about EJ. Didn't we want a guy with Fitz's smarts, and VY's physical talents?

Have you read the thread on him? Many of us are excited.

Some people were excited about EJ since late January and have been banging the drum for him and touting him as the best QB prospect for months.

I read that too, and found it very interesting....These stories are all well and good, but let's not forget one major detail...This could be meaningless come Sundays. I just hope to see Manuel turn his great attitude and personality into success on the field...Of course I'd always love to watch the Jets struggle with another bad QB situation, but when it comes down to it they will be judged by what they do on Sundays.

I agree. If Smith turns out to be an amazing QB you are going to see people who complain about the pick. That said, if the Jets wound up picking a guy who turns out to be a less talented Prima Donna, we can all bask in the schadenfreude.

Very interesting read and thanks for posting. I'm with you turbo but you really can't help but think about how much of a mad house it has been on the Jets and he's probably just going to be another part of it.

While searching/reading other articles I stumbled upon this comic strip but it's not very PC so look at your own risk. http://nyc.barstools...-suicide-comic/

Hehe, yeah, I saw that one. It's part of a bi-weekly comic that's usually pretty good, even if it's written by a Giant's fan.

I have to say, I'm a fan of black humor, so I still have to laugh my ass off, bad taste or no.

I said something about him hanging his head low in loses and people told me it was because his defense sucked.

Haha. I loved that BS.

Geno Smith: Leader of men.

Disclaimer: I might be racist.

Rex should just quit now. This season is going to be a disaster. They have a shaky WR corp, with one malcontent, Santonio, any good, no TE at all, no running game unless you think Chris Ivory is going to be Curtis Martin, and one half of an OL, in a completely new system with a retread coach.

The sad thing is, I actually really like Rex. I hate the Jets, but that's a different story.

Got it. Yeah I would agree totally with that. RJ didn't have the mental makeup to be a leader or face of the franchise or any of that.

I have brought this up before but everyone should have known RJ was not going to be good. Here was a guy from a major program with good coaching, his dad was even a legendary HS coach, who was big, with a cannon, and could run. Those guys fly up the draft boards every single year. It's a scouts dream. Yet RJ went down on draft boards. Wasn't taken til the fourth. It wasnt like Barkley or Nassib that had severe question marks about their skills.

Even that famous game on Jax he wasn't all that good. He threw an int. got hurt in it. Didn't throw for an extraordinary amount of yards or Tds. He was just good in it. Fitz was far better in his first game.

Um, no. Johnson was 20-24 for 294 yards, 2 TDs, and no INTs against the Ravens in the opening week of 1997. His rating was 145.5, which is spectacular. He also had 4 carries for 31 yards, including a 25 yard TD run. The Jags won 28-27, with the last score a 28 yard TD pass from Johnson to Jimmy Smith.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199708310rav.htm

This precisely why it annoys me no end that people continue to insist as if fact, that E.J. Would have been no doubt available to us at 41 if not in the 3rd.

People look at grades assigned by Kiper and McShay and assume somehow this reflects the grade given by the people charged with actuall drafting them for their team, who spend countless hours not only watching game film, but interviewing and interacting with them.

While game performance is surely a huge consideration, you cannot underestimate the value of in person interviews, at the combine, personal workouts and team visits.

If you do not have a good feeling about how a guy performs in personal interviews, things such as interaction with others, the ability to learn quickly, the way a guy carries himself, that simply HAS to affect your willingness to risk a high draft pick, ESPECIALLy when talking about the QB position.

These quotes clearly illustrate that a teams perception of a player can significantly impact their place on the draft board, an activity that is NOT reflected in the typical scouting reports forming the basis for the "all-important" mock drafts that form the basis for the public's assessment of a player and where he "should" be drafted.

Edited by BuffaloBob

Rex should just quit now. This season is going to be a disaster. They have a shaky WR corp, with one malcontent, Santonio, any good, no TE at all, no running game unless you think Chris Ivory is going to be Curtis Martin, and one half of an OL, in a completely new system with a retread coach.

Jets and Rex are stuck with each other: he has something like $4mm left on his deal for 2013.

The sad thing is, I actually really like Rex. I hate the Jets, but that's a different story.

Um, no. Johnson was 20-24 for 294 yards, 2 TDs, and no INTs against the Ravens in the opening week of 1997. His rating was 145.5, which is spectacular. He also had 4 carries for 31 yards, including a 25 yard TD run. The Jags won 28-27, with the last score a 28 yard TD pass from Johnson to Jimmy Smith.

http://www.pro-footb...99708310rav.htm

My memory failed me a bit as I just looked it up. I remembered that game was somewhat indicative of things to come despite his heroics. I forgot he had a TD run. I did think he had an INT which he didnt. My bad. Under 300 yards and 2 Tds is a good game not great game (although the late heroics does make it a great game I concede). He was, however, sacked three times and he was injured and knocked out of the game two different times. In fact, he couldnt even play the following week because he was hurt. That was the part that stuck out to me as a harbinger of things to come. Thanks for the stats correction though,

http://www.pro-footb...99708310rav.htm

I watched that game in absolute awe and was thrilled when the BILLS traded for him. That guy was tantalizingly talented.

I certainly hope the Jets crash and burn, and I don't think Geno will do much, but as a Bills' fan, before I go bagging on the Jets or any other team, I want the Bills to do something, you know, like make the playoffs for the first time in an eternity. Given Buddy's crappy drafting I'm going to hold my tongue and see how this crop of draftees perform before bashing anyone else's draft acumen.

That is the smartest thing anyone has said in this thread. If the last 13 years as Bills fans have taught us anything, it should be humility,especially regarding offseason moves, and especially vis a vis our AFC East "rivals".

Smith was not yet a pro in the eyes of the assessors. That was the bottom line in the article. Come on, if you want somebody to pick you in the first round, you don't go off with your electronic toys when in their presence. Lacking judgement and comprehension of the situation.

ESPN Science did testing on all the QB's and EJ came out the best. On one trowing drill he did better than any QB since they started this testing. Very impressive.

Yea but were those drills classified as normal game test drills or BIG game test drills? I'm sure his number would have been worse if they were big game test drills. :nana:

Yea but were those drills classified as normal game test drills or BIG game test drills? I'm sure his number would have been worse if they were big game test drills. :nana:

At this point im just hoping bills are actually in some big games. Been so long I don't remember what it feels like

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I've been one of Smith's biggest supporters since watching what he did against LSU in '11. And I really bought into the reports of his being a film rat that really strived to learn how DC's think and why. His on field performances seemed to bear that out. I didn't get too down on him during the late season swoon last year as I attributed that to losing confidence and being vicitmized by a very bad defense. And I never bought the bullschit about reading half the field and not going through his progressions, etc. I NEVER heard of a coach deliberately handcuffing himself by doing that and, again, the evidence on the field bore that out.

But I wasn't impressed with his body language at the draft and him constantly being on the phone. Granted, we weren't privy to his EVERY action that night, but that was the first time a red flag was raised in my mind. If he truly doesn't get it and understand the unique personality and character traits that being a good QB requires, then congratulations to the Bills for not making him the first QB picked in the draft.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

My memory failed me a bit as I just looked it up. I remembered that game was somewhat indicative of things to come despite his heroics. I forgot he had a TD run. I did think he had an INT which he didnt. My bad. Under 300 yards and 2 Tds is a good game not great game (although the late heroics does make it a great game I concede). He was, however, sacked three times and he was injured and knocked out of the game two different times. In fact, he couldnt even play the following week because he was hurt. That was the part that stuck out to me as a harbinger of things to come. Thanks for the stats correction though,

I do agree it was a harbinger, but total yardage is a very poor indicator of performance. As you know, the best measure is yards per attempt, and Johnson's that day was phenomonal: 12.25 ypa.