If true, interesting insight into why Geno Smith fell in draft

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity. "Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said.

Good luck to the jets... NOT

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith will be possibly the biggest bust in this draft. He's the perfect mix of Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, and Jamarcus Russell all in one. He's a whining cry baby and not a leader at all. I will enjoy watching the Jets fumble around with him another 2-4 years.

Boom. This year really opened my eyes quite a bit about all the bs spewed by insiders. For all the guys saying we reached on Manuel and we are now seeing that he perhaps was at the top of the qb boards on teams really shows you something. Usually you can weed out the bs on mock drafts but this year it was pretty thick.

I read that too, and found it very interesting....These stories are all well and good, but let's not forget one major detail...This could be meaningless come Sundays. I just hope to see Manuel turn his great attitude and personality into success on the field...Of course I'd always love to watch the Jets struggle with another bad QB situation, but when it comes down to it they will be judged by what they do on Sundays.

I'm sorry but I just don't have it in me to ever feel sorry for the Jets (or Pats for that matter). I like what they say about Manuel, but I'm not looking for a prom date for my sister...I'm looking for a qb. Let's see how he does after training camp and after a few games. I'm optimistic. The fact that they took their time looking very seriously at all the qb's and picked him over the "obvious" choice of Nassib leads me to think they saw something special in the guy. I'm hopeful we'll see something special in the Fall.

Very interesting read and thanks for posting. I'm with you turbo but you really can't help but think about how much of a mad house it has been on the Jets and he's probably just going to be another part of it.

While searching/reading other articles I stumbled upon this comic strip but it's not very PC so look at your own risk. http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/geno-smith-suicide-comic/

Apart from Nawrocki's critique of Smiths mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith:

Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence ; does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor; no urgency. Not committed or focused; marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college; cannot handle hard coaching;

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smiths future. Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room; Nawrocki writes. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/01/nawrocki-provides-scathing-assessment-of-geno-smith/

Edited by papazoid

All you have to do is watch the videos that Bills & Jets put together of each draftee's introductions and visits to team's offices. They speak volumes.

That is the FIRST thing I thought about, particularly when you watch both of them on the pre-draft stage. Manuel looks confident and comfortable, while Smith looks aloof and out of it. This was BEFOREHAND...

I almost got my head bit off here questioning Smith's personality a couple months ago...lol

I started to question my own original "bad vibes" I got from the guy and was getting on the bandwagon. No one's hit the field yet, but I'm still so relieved that draft turned out the way it did and we got EJ!

Edited by 1billsfan

Apart from Nawrocki's critique of Smiths mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith:

Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence ; does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor; no urgency. Not committed or focused; marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college; cannot handle hard coaching;

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smiths future. Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room; Nawrocki writes. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.;

http://profootballta...-of-geno-smith/

Man, Nawrocki took a lot of heat for that assessment, and has since somewhat disappeared. I thought he seemed overboard when I read it myself. It looks pretty accurate from what has come out lately, although it's very tough to know this stuff with any certainty.

I did not want the Bills to draft Smith. I was extolling Manuel's strengths and wanted the Bills to take him for months. However just as I think Manuel's weaknesses are exaggerated, I feel the same about Smith.