Opinions needed - company relaxed dress code somewhat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK next question... I was told way back when that shoes match belt, socks match pants. Is that true of jeans also? If so, wouldn't I always wear blue socks?

I think having your socks match your pants is only in formal situations. I tend to wear blue socks with my jeans but that's just because I'm used to matching my socks to pants during the week.

Don't you have a wife?? :D

OK next question... I was told way back when that shoes match belt, socks match pants. Is that true of jeans also? If so, wouldn't I always wear blue socks?

Socks in this case can/should match or play off of your shirt. Jeans are so neutral they almost dont even count in the outfit. Work around the jeans, not with them.

Don't you have a wife?? :D

LOL, this!

shoes to belt - yup

socks to slacks - yup

socks to jeans - yup, but i tend to wear nice shoes and go for a nice look even in jeans

only time i wear athletic shoes is when im doing athletic activities - so jeans tend not to meet sneakers in my wardrobe.

shoes to belt - yup

socks to slacks - yup

socks to jeans - yup, but i tend to wear nice shoes and go for a nice look even in jeans

only time i wear athletic shoes is when im doing athletic activities - so jeans tend not to meet sneakers in my wardrobe.

You know I don't know if I'm getting old but sneakers just don't look right with jeans anymore.

Socks in this case can/should match or play off of your shirt. Jeans are so neutral they almost dont even count in the outfit. Work around the jeans, not with them.

I also accept this answer, and expand it in general beyond jeans. socks are becoming a more trendy accent in a wardrobe. so if your really bringing the A-game, primary color in the socks would match pants, with the secondary color playing off shirt/tie. this one i dont go out of my way for but if theres a set of socks handy that fit the bill, ill grab them before a different pair.

You know I don't know if I'm getting old but sneakers just don't look right with jeans anymore.

i do a lot of time on my feet so i make sure i get comfortable dress shoes, and they are broken in quick.

may as well look sharp if they are comfortable and wear them with jeans as well.

i wear whits socks all the time with jeans unless, as otherwise noted, i am wearing non-sneakers

pooj - if you are going to be hanging out with kids at these rock and roll shows we will have to work on the attire. as Dr D has noted, outside the gym, theres nearly no purpose for white socks.

Life ain't a dress rehearsal - - wear what YOU think looks good or is comfortable (depending on what is more important to YOU), and as long as your employer's dress code allows it, if others don't like it - - - screw 'em. Or you can just be a corporate suck-up, wait a couple of weeks to start wearing jeans, watch what your boss wears with jeans, and meekly match it. B-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a.

Then again, I may not be the best person to give advice on either sartorial splendor or fitting in to a corporate culture. But do you think most posters on a football message board are?

Generally, your socks should match your pants. I was told, when wearing jeans, your socks should match your shoes. So, white socks with sneakers, brown socks with brown shoes, and black socks with black shoes.

This was just confirmed by a gay man that I work with, so it must be true. Gay people are very fashionable...they have been that way ever since they came over here from France (Joking...Family Guy Quote) :D

No socks are a current trend?

I cannot go without socks, but I do wear rigs like this when wearing loafers or any shoe where I want the no sock look, which is quite often in the summer.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Show-Loafer-Liner-Sock/dp/B003YDI9QC

If I went no sock, would have to throw the damn shoes out after 1 use!

Edited by plenzmd1