Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

On the open market, he could get $8M/year. But no team will give him $8M/year plus trade even a 2nd rounder for him, much less a 1st. I hope I'm wrong and someone does.

I tend to strongly agree. The only thing that prevents me from being in 100% agreement with the above was the idiotic trade that Tampa made with the Jets. Make no mistake, I am not likening Byrd to Revis in terms of overall talent at his position, but Revis IS coming off of a very serious injury, and the Bucs coughed up a 1st and a 3rd (in 2014) for him. It only takes one willing trade partner to complete a deal as stupid as the above.

The new CBA has made a dramatic change upon the game, as have the rule changes. Defensive backs no longer own the middle, thus giving QBs a HUGE advantage. It also has decreased the value of running backs. Passing is the way to go, and this is why good (not great) QBs such as Romo and Flacco were rewarded with mega-millions. Wait until QBs such as Luck, Wilson, RG III, and Newton are UFAs. Can you even imagine their contracts? Players such as Schaub and Rivers will demand and receive millions upon millions. I for one would not want my cap space tied up with a good safety, but that's me. That said, Manuel just signed for chump change, so the Bills do have room to keep Byrd.

The way to go in terms of building a team is QB, pass rushers, and blockers. Truthfully this was always the case but now it is that much more pronounced. And the cap appears to be flat when looking on the horizon. The big bucks have been taken from early draft picks, and handed to QBs.

Sorry to ramble, but usually I am ready to commit wrt most Bills topics. This one is a tough call.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to strongly agree. The only thing that prevents me from being in 100% agreement with the above was the idiotic trade that Tampa made with the Jets. Make no mistake, I am not likening Byrd to Revis in terms of overall talent at his position, but Revis IS coming off of a very serious injury, and the Bucs coughed up a 1st and a 3rd (in 2014) for him. It only takes one willing trade partner to complete a deal as stupid as the above.

The new CBA has made a dramatic change upon the game, as have the rule changes. Defensive backs no longer own the middle, thus giving QBs a HUGE advantage. It also has decreased the value of running backs. Passing is the way to go, and this is why good (not great) QBs such as Romo and Flacco were rewarded with mega-millions. Wait until QBs such as Luck, Wilson, RG III, and Newton are UFAs. Can you even imagine their contracts? Players such as Schaub and Rivers will demand and receive millions upon millions. I for one would not want my cap space tied up with a good safety, but that's me. That said, Manuel just signed for chump change, so the Bills do have room to keep Byrd.

The way to go in terms of building a team is QB, pass rushers, and blockers. Truthfully this was always the case but now it is that much more pronounced. And the cap appears to be flat when looking on the horizon. The big bucks have been taken from early draft picks, and handed to QBs.

Sorry to ramble, but usually I am ready to commit wrt most Bills topics. This one is a tough call.

Excellent post top to bottom.