Can someone copy and paste this article

RVJ

Given time to look back and reflect upon the Buffalo Bills 2004 season, there is one word that can be said about it that hasn’t been used to describe a season of theirs in quite some time.

2004 was exciting.

But that’s looking at it as a whole, one piece. Living through the season was another thing. It was a hellish roller-coaster ride with agonizing dips and exhilarating rises. The ending might have been a torturous and painful one for Bills fans everywhere, but I have to say that despite the finale, the ride was worth it.

Not unlike the 1998 season, which saw the Bills rebound from 0-3 to make the playoffs at 10-6 thanks to the emergence of Doug Flutie, the 2004 season saw the Bills start off at 0-4 and end at 9-7 thanks to the emergence of a new star. Willis McGahee burst onto the scene to replace an ineffective Travis Henry and led the Bills to a 9-2 record in games he started. Unfortunately for McGahee and the rest of the Bills, in the end they would need a 10-1 record to qualify for the playoffs.

Every Bills fan knew that the last-second loss against the Jacksonville Jaguars in the season opener would come back to haunt Buffalo. And it certainly did.

But now 2004 is over, the chapter complete, with the ink still a little damp.

2005 is distant on the horizon, but it is coming. August and preseason will be here before you know it. These days are tough for Bills fans in having to watch the Broncos get decimated by the Colts in the first round of the playoffs all the while thinking that the Bills certainly would have done better.

But let’s be honest. They, too, probably would have lost to the Colts and we would all be extremely upset right now. At least we got the heartbreak over with, although I will always take a playoff loss over not making the playoffs. You get my point though.

I, for one, am extremely hopeful about the 2005 season. Coach Mike Mularkey and company have one year under their belts, and really impressed me in their first season in Buffalo. Now we get to see what they can do with a blank slate and a little experience. There are many things to get excited about in 2005. McGahee’s first full season as a starter, the gelling of a mean and lean defensive team, an emerging elite special teams unit, a better version of Peerless Price in Lee Evans and so much more.

The thing is however, I just can’t see this team making it past the divisional playoff round because of one, huge, glaring question mark.

The quarterback position.

Drew Bledsoe will never lead them to the promised land, that is for sure. As much as I like the guy as a person, with him at quarterback the Bills will always disappoint their fans. With that being said, I fully expect Bledsoe to begin the 2005 season as the starting quarterback for the Bills. If that is the case, the Bills go 10-6 tops. At the most, Bledsoe will personally win the Bills two games. Not good. What’s worse is that the elite teams will take him apart in the playoffs and eliminate the Bills from contention.

This is why we must hope and pray that J.P. Losman, somehow, someway, steps it up in training camp and preseason, avoids injury and becomes a legit contender for Buffalo’s No. 1 quarterback status. Make no bones about it, this guy is the future of this team. But with the way the NFL is structured, teams only have a short window with the rosters they assemble. This is a talented Bills team, but the quarterback position is a murky one. Buffalo cannot afford another 9-7 year with all the talent that they have. If Losman can have half the season that Ben Roethlisberger had this year, the Bills will be in good shape.

But he must win the job of starting quarterback and do at least the job that Bledsoe did. If he can do that, the Bills will be in good shape, but that is a very big if.

The future of the Buffalo Bills is on the line.

Hopefully, Losman is a quick learner.