Our Defensive Front - Pick from the GRAB BAG!

Another question would be: Looking at these groups, which one needs a player added to it the most?

I dont think it'll be much of an argument that the Pure LB group could use at least 1 more player of starting caliber. Dansby obviously comes to mind. Anyone have any idea on who else could be available?

ILB

Larry Grant, formerly SF. Youngest of the bunch @ 28.

Dansby - 31 years old

Scott - 33 years old

Spikes - 36 years old

Bradie James - 32 years old

Of those, Grant is not worth signing unless he came so cheap he'd buy his own ticket here. We'd be better off signing a cap-casualty or training camp guy.

OLB

Daryl Smith is someone I have been high on, at 31 years old he is up there but the guy is solid and could provide depth should Lawson and Dowtin struggle. He had an injury last year and plays well in the 43, which are two downsides.

Bryan Thomas of the Jets is still out there. At 34 years old he may be on his last bit of pasture.

Leroy Hill of the Hawks - 30 year old two down backer is not what we need.

Thomas Howard from the Bengals went down after 1 game with an ACL injury but he has been solid but at 30 years old he is probably not worth the money he'd want.

Nick Barnett is still out there...his birthday is next month, and like me he will be 32 soon. So, I am not going to say he is old.

There really are not many options out there at the LB position, which is why I think the Colts and Nix used this trade to make things happen. Neither team happy with the draft at that position made up for it now.

Ya know.. That's where Dareus played most of his career at Alabama. That could be our Base 34 we're looking at. And I like it!

Thinking more on it. Move out KWilliams move in Mark Anderson. Bring out Branch put in Troup. Bring out Troup, slide over Dareus bring in Carrington. Bring out Dareus move MWilliams down, bring in Moats.

Needless to say there are two things that will happen in 2013:

• Teams will run no huddle on us as often as they can without substituting their own players. If they sub a player, per rules, the defense must be given a chance to sub their own players, thus stopping the no huddle.
  • We are going to find out if the problem has been Dareus and KWilliams up the middle or if it has been poor linebackers over the past 3 years. Because teams are going to run first, ask questions second, then pass long over us because I do not see the defensive speed to stop the deep balls.

• Teams will run no huddle on us as often as they can without substituting their own players. If they sub a player, per rules, the defense must be given a chance to sub their own players, thus stopping the no huddle.
  • We are going to find out if the problem has been Dareus and KWilliams up the middle or if it has been poor linebackers over the past 3 years. Because teams are going to run first, ask questions second, then pass long over us because I do not see the defensive speed to stop the deep balls.

I think that's exactly what they brought Branch in here for...Because I agree...Teams will run right at us with Dareus or KW in the middle...No question about it...And chances are they will have success running it just like the past two years...IMHO neither is an NFL NT, and until they can anchor a D-Line that is at least average in stopping the run I'm not going to back off that assessment...I realize better LB play will help...But as a pure NT I think both Dareus and KW are playing out-of-position...And that's just not good... B-)

ILB

Larry Grant, formerly SF. Youngest of the bunch @ 28.

Dansby - 31 years old

Scott - 33 years old

Spikes - 36 years old

Bradie James - 32 years old

Of those, Grant is not worth signing unless he came so cheap he'd buy his own ticket here. We'd be better off signing a cap-casualty or training camp guy.

OLB

Daryl Smith is someone I have been high on, at 31 years old he is up there but the guy is solid and could provide depth should Lawson and Dowtin struggle. He had an injury last year and plays well in the 43, which are two downsides.

Bryan Thomas of the Jets is still out there. At 34 years old he may be on his last bit of pasture.

Leroy Hill of the Hawks - 30 year old two down backer is not what we need.

Thomas Howard from the Bengals went down after 1 game with an ACL injury but he has been solid but at 30 years old he is probably not worth the money he'd want.

Nick Barnett is still out there...his birthday is next month, and like me he will be 32 soon. So, I am not going to say he is old.

There really are not many options out there at the LB position, which is why I think the Colts and Nix used this trade to make things happen. Neither team happy with the draft at that position made up for it now.

Thinking more on it. Move out KWilliams move in Mark Anderson. Bring out Branch put in Troup. Bring out Troup, slide over Dareus bring in Carrington. Bring out Dareus move MWilliams down, bring in Moats.

You don't see the team speed to stop the deep balls? Gilmore, mckelvin and brooks are all fast. Byrd has good speed and duke Williams does too. Searcy doesn't and if he's the starting SS, he's our biggest target deep. At LB, Bradham and Lawson both have good speed and Alonso is good in coverage. I don't see how we don't have the defensive speed. Wilson, Barnett, A. Williams and Scott won't be out there anymore.

You don't see the team speed to stop the deep balls? Gilmore, mckelvin and brooks are all fast. Byrd has good speed and duke Williams does too. Searcy doesn't and if he's the starting SS, he's our biggest target deep. At LB, Bradham and Lawson both have good speed and Alonso is good in coverage. I don't see how we don't have the defensive speed. Wilson, Barnett, A. Williams and Scott won't be out there anymore.

Byrd is slow for a FS. He is the the guy we need over the top on the long ball and due tobPettines planning I do not see him letting Byrd go deep. He will put a lot of 1 on 1's and zone out the rest of the field.

Our defense is nor that fast even if they are a little above average. mcKelvin may be quick but hrs gets lost on the ball. Especially deep. Gilmore is still new. I think we have a lot to wait on

We will see how much coaching can change how a D performs... the only additions are Lawson, Branch and rookies Alonso/2 safeties.. is that enough to turn around a terrible D unit from a year ago?? I hope Pettine can get the most out of these guys. They may not have Byrd either..

Mario Williams was on the brink of 300 pounds last year. Does anyone see him wanting to cut weight to get back to being an outside linebacker? I say he bites his tongue and takes the Bruce Smith role in the 3-4. We'll find ways to get him in space, like the Texans do with Watt, but I just don't see him taking his hand outta the dirt. That ship has sailed. He's too damn big.

That's why I say we run a lotta 4-3 this year. Standing Mario up makes it too obvious where he blitz is coming from.