Our Defensive Front - Pick from the GRAB BAG!

Having no idea what type of Front 7 (or 6) Pettine is crafting up (43, 34, 33, 52, 51), I decided to make a list of the talent we do have in "general areas" and see what different combos we could come up with.

So according to the current roster, pick your favorite 6 or 7 and come up with a scheme:

Pure DLine:

K. Williams

Dareus

Branch

Carrington

Gilbert

Troup

DL/LB:

M. Williams

Anderson

Hughes

Lawson

Pure LB:

Alonso

Bradham

Moats

Scott

White

I'm going with:

M. Williams, Dareus, K. Williams, Lawson

Alonso, Bradham

A 33/43Nickel Hybrid I call "The Dr's D"!

I like Kyle, branch, Dareus on the line with Mario at OLB. Lawson, Anderson and Hughes rotating at the other OLB spot (and with Mario). Kiko and Bradham inside. 3-4 scheme. Kiko and Bradham will be in coverage, but when's Lawson's in there, one of them (or w our safety's/CBs) are free to blitz due to Lawson being ok in coverage. Lots of options as we now have 3 LBs that don't completely suck in coverage. Can't wait to see what Pettine has in store and how our DL plays given the fact that we won't be rushing 3 or 4 guys every play.

I like the idea of a jumbo package - Mario, Branch, Kyle Williams, and Dareus lined up with their hands down.

Then Kiko on the edge, Bradham in the middle, and Manny Lawson on the other edge. Blitz one of our linebackers every play and let the other guys pick up whatever they need to in coverage.

We'd sure as hell get a push. No more gashing runs up the gut. And this puts our best front 7 personnel on the field.

expect it will be : LE K. Williams/NT Dareus/RE Branch w/ LOLB Ma. Williams/ILB Bradham/ILB Alonzo/ROLB Lawson w/ CB Gilmore/SS A. Williams/FS Byrd/CB McKelvin. Add Dansby to the mix at ILB and a vet CB to either start ahead of McKevin or as the nickel CB and the Bills will really have something on D.

expect it will be : LE K. Williams/NT Dareus/RE Branch w/ LOLB Ma. Williams/ILB Bradham/ILB Alonzo/ROLB Lawson w/ CB Gilmore/SS A. Williams/FS Byrd/CB McKelvin. Add Dansby to the mix at ILB and a vet CB to either start ahead of McKevin or as the nickel CB and the Bills will really have something on D.

nope. i see Branch as the nose guard to start and then they can rotate kyle in on second down and Dareus the third.

But whatevers. right? Multi... The possibilties are nothing short of wonderful. as i mentioned a couple whiles ago. The stars are starting to align for Bills and Bills fans.

Gonna be a riot in cell block # 9.

ps edit thanks Dr for getting us thinking of the potential !

Edited by 3rdand12

nope. i see Branch as the nose guard to start and then they can rotate kyle in on second down and Dareus the third.

But whatevers. right? Multi... The possibilties are nothing short of wonderful. as i mentioned a couple whiles ago. The stars are starting to align for Bills and Bills fans.

Thanks dude!

How about this for a 51?!?...

Mario-Kyle-Branch-Dareus-Hughes

Alonso

And we still have 5 DBs out there!

I know it's a little ridiculous, but Im just trying to put myself in Pettine's shoes. Man, I really hope Alonso pans out. Kid could be a real killer and a huge piece of our Defense.

Dr you forgit the 1-5. Give me the nose and LBs with that. Mike did run it. i thought. a couple times.

i hope Troup has fully recovered but Branch might serve.

Ah yes, thats a good one too! Like this?...

Branch

Mario-Bradham-Alonso-Lawson-Hughes

Edit: trying to format in any way, sucks

Edited by DrDareustein

Thanks dude!

How about this for a 51?!?...

Mario-Kyle-Branch-Dareus-Hughes

Alonso

And we still have 5 DBs out there!

I know it's a little ridiculous, but Im just trying to put myself in Pettine's shoes. Man, I really hope Alonso pans out. Kid could be a real killer and a huge piece of our Defense.

And i am thinking we might have enough DBs on hand to pull that crazy poop off. After this draft and udfa pick ups.

Polish some stones and we might be be as versatile as the playbook will allow.

Alonso for sure is a key. Some of us wanted Minter (gone ) or A Brown , but the edge/attitude that Kilamanjoro Alonso brings should be damned good fun

It will take a year for everybody to learn Pettine's system. I don't hopes for early success. I remember being 4-3, the 3-4, then 4-3, now 3-4 again. Nobody doing what they did last year. That spells mistakes and poor results. I hope I am surprised, but franchise stability is required to have top notch offensive and defensive systems. Rookie mistakes from everybody next year.

Having no idea what type of Front 7 (or 6) Pettine is crafting up (43, 34, 33, 52, 51), I decided to make a list of the talent we do have in "general areas" and see what different combos we could come up with.

So according to the current roster, pick your favorite 6 or 7 and come up with a scheme:

Pure DLine:

K. Williams

Dareus

Branch

Carrington

Gilbert

Troup

DL/LB:

M. Williams

Anderson

Hughes

Lawson

Pure LB:

Alonso

Bradham

Moats

Scott

White

I'm going with:

M. Williams, Dareus, K. Williams, Lawson

Alonso, Bradham

A 33/43Nickel Hybrid I call "The Dr's D"!

Well, if you then move Bryan Scott to Monster, or whoever at dime or nickel then we have a package. I've had this very same idea, though I do not know if Bradham can hold up in the middle and have seen Alonso listed at OLB for us - though not officially.

44 (left being strong side)

MWiliams - KWilliams - MDareus - MAnderson

Lawson - Bradham - Alonso - Scott

Gilmore - Byrd - McKelvin

You can also look at different themes of each package.

34 Can't move'm - left is strong side

KWiliams - Branch - Dareus

MWilliams - Alonso - Bradham - Lawson

KWilliams is not a space filler but he is an agitator, put Williams behind him as the mop. Lawson behind big Dareus protects him enough and Bradham and Alonso in the middle ...who knows

34 Blitz

Carrington- MDareus - KWilliams

MWilliams - Bradham - Alonso - MAnderson

Yeah, I could go on and on...

44 (left being strong side)

Yeah, I could go on and on...

HAHA Yes, there it is! I knew that first little blurb wasnt going to be it from you! :thumbsup:

34 Can't move'm - left is strong side

KWiliams - Branch - Dareus

MWilliams - Alonso - Bradham - Lawson

KWilliams is not a space filler but he is an agitator, put Williams behind him as the mop. Lawson behind big Dareus protects him enough and Bradham and Alonso in the middle ...who knows

Ya know.. That's where Dareus played most of his career at Alabama. That could be our Base 34 we're looking at. And I like it!

The cool thing is we have some talent (yes, there are weak spots) but we also have a mad doctor at the helm of the D, a guy with a history of thinking outside the box in order to put his players in a position to succeed.

kj

Another question would be: Looking at these groups, which one needs a player added to it the most?

Pure DLine:

K. Williams

Dareus

Branch

Carrington

Gilbert

Troup

DL/LB:

M. Williams

Anderson

Hughes

Lawson

Pure LB:

Alonso

Bradham

Moats

Scott

White

I dont think it'll be much of an argument that the Pure LB group could use at least 1 more player of starting caliber. Dansby obviously comes to mind. Anyone have any idea on who else could be available?

My defense, call it whatever you want.

It would be built like a pyramid. Byrd would be the top, or in reality, the bottom. All plays happen in front of him, he is 12 yards deep, he plays where he needs to and has free reign.

o

We put Gilmore and McKelvin out there at CB, we use two "strong safeties that half the field. If Alonso projects to become a average starting quality you should have no trouble putting him at Mike. I have been a big fan of putting Mario on the weakside, especially when the weakside is the defensive right. That leaves the Jack between the Will (MWilliams) and the Mike (Alonso) and the 3rd safety at Sam. Yes, a safety at Sam is a bit of a concern but when you need him to cover and be physical enough to move the player inside you can look at Aaron Williams, Bryan Scott or perhaps even Lawson to play a position like this. Bradham will fill the roll of Jack. The 3 DL's Dareus to the weakside, Anderson/KWilliams to the strong, with Branch/KWilliams/Troup in the middle. If Troup is in 15% of the D snaps that would be impressive. If Branch can make 20% of the defensive snaps that'd be impressive. When bumping KWilliams to the DE type position this would be done to force teams to run around them or to keep a blocker back. I am not saying it is because they can rush the passer with just those three. It is because any of the "LB's" can come in...BUT... Anderson on the weakside or sneaking to strong side could just as easily bounce back in to coverage leaving Williams to blitz.

Alright, so if you're still with me it is

Gilmore - Dareus - Branch - KWilliams/Anderson - McKelvin

MWilliams - Bradham - Alonso - Lawson/Scott/AWilliams

Searcy/AWilliams/Scott

Byrd

Chances are slimmer then not that they want to run to Dareus and Mario Williams. With Gilmore there, they are not passing to that side of the field. It is not often that teams put their #1 WR on the strong side. The action is either going to go KWilliams and Bryan Scott on that side if they get caught in together or it is going to go between Branch Bradham and Alonso.

You would want Anderson there on passing downs and KWilliams there on a rotational basis. There is no need to put these agile DT's between the OG's and waste their blitzing capability.

I agree...Branch and Troup are the only pure NT's the Bills have...And Dareus should be a beast as a DE in the 3-4...Like he was at Alabama...I think we may see the base front 3 as Dareus, Branch, and KW...I think Mario will be outside in that Demarcus Ware-type position, with Anderson at the other OLB spot...But they are going to be cycling in front 7 players like crazy I imagine...It should be very interesting to see what Pettine can do with this bunch... B-)