Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

This was a swap of semi-underachieving young players who appear to be a better fit for the opposite teams scheme. The Colts need depth at a pure MLB spot. Sheppard is just that a pure 4-3 MLB a mediocre one but a guy who can hold down a back up spot there.

I like this move but lets not pretend like we got a steal here, Hughes is not very highly regarded.

Seems like Buddy listens to his coaches. Got and kept the players Gailey liked and seems to be doing the same for this staff.

Now that we've had two coaching staffs under Nix, it's pretty obvious, isn't it.

What also makes it odd is that the Bills didn't address that inside spot in the draft, unless that's where they're gonna put Kiko? So now we've just created a post-draft roster hole. And I don't think this has anything to do with Dansby - Dansby's leverage just went UP. If this were about him, they would've signed him before making this trade.

I wouldn't call the loss of Shep "creating a hole." He was the hole.

I agree with you about Dansby though. Unlike many in this topic, I don't see Dansby happening. And like you wrote, this only increases Dansby's leverage.

Isn't Pettine the guy who managed to get some production out of Aaron Maybin?

According to the "realists," it had nothing to do with Pettine and everything to do with Rex.

Just - again, this one bothers me. I guess kudos to Nix for realizing he made a mistake but let's not forget how we got here. They let Poz walk in part because they were switching schemes and in part because they were fairly confident they could replace him with a draft pick. Then they burn a 3rd round pick on Shephard after Gailey spent the Senior Bowl with him, and we were told amazing tales of his leadership, instincts, and fit. Two years later we're dealing him for a bust, and we have no replacement for him on the roster. I get it that they've changed schemes (again), but that doesn't fully answer the question to me, esp. because Pettine prefers a hybrid front. How many mistakes is this group of talent evaluators going to be allowed to make? They keep "fixing" the problems that they created and the result is the perpetual running in place that we've all seen.

I just don't get why anyone is happy about this move. The same group of clowns who drafted this guy is now sending him packing.

I don't understand where you're coming from. Sheppard sucked. Everyone knows that. He was a bust. That is indisputable.

Would you feel better if the Bills pretended he was competent and just held onto him?

Isn't it better for any person or organization to concede the mistake, cut losses, and try to salvage the situation?

Are you calling for Buddy's head?

Personally I'd have been happy just to cut Shep. That alone is a statement that this is not business as usual, that past mistakes won't be glossed over to protect egos.

To get a former first rounder who had 4 sacks in 6 starts last year sounds like a win to me… a win that Bills fans should be happy about.

This trade has Whaley's hands all over it, right? Isn't one of his responsibilities pro scouting?

Yes, and Tom Gibbons, Director of Pro Personnel.

With both Kelsey and Shep gone, who will be the new favorite whipping boys of TSW? I like what this coaching staff are doing with purging players that do not fit either scheme or culture or both. Very encouraging.

Currently the favorite whipping boy, besides Buddy, seems to be Brad Smith.

Perfect example of addition by subtraction - Doesn't matter how Hughes pans out - at least Shep is gone..

Exactly.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Alright, anyone spoken to Luke Russerts mom on this yet?

In all seriousness, addition by subtraction is a silly premise because we do not know what the formula is that Pettine plans to use we must have blind faith that it was a good move because shirley, all of us roads scholars know Sheppard sucked.

Not a Rhodes scholar and have not played one on TV.

Shep was not a bust. Perhaps misused or did not skill for scheme he was required to play but not a bust. He was not cut when new coaching staff came in and they cut unceremoniously players which new coaching staff had no use for even if other teams did and signed them. It appears that he was going to compete in training camp. Either they kept him thinking he was useful, even if just for depth or special teams, or they saw his combination of skills/contract would be appealing to another team to trade picks/player for.

I'd be interested in when the talks started.

Edited by BillsWatch

Not a Rhodes scholar and have not played one on TV.

Shep was not a bust. Perhaps misused or did not skill for scheme he was required to play but not a bust. He was not cut when new coaching staff came in and they cut unceremoniously players which new coaching staff had no use for even if other teams did and signed them. It appears that he was going to compete in training camp. Either they kept him thinking he was useful, even if just for depth or special teams, or they saw his combination of skills/contract would be appealing to another team to trade picks/player for.

I'd be interested in when the talks started.

Put it this way, judging by the way Sheppard played before this season, it was addition by subtraction.

Is Arthur Moats the new Keith Ellision? He continues to survive house cleanings and new regimes and somehow finds the field during the season.

Moats flashes enough ability and has been at a position were there has been absolutely little to no talent for years now.

This was a swap of semi-underachieving young players who appear to be a better fit for the opposite teams scheme. The Colts need depth at a pure MLB spot. Sheppard is just that a pure 4-3 MLB a mediocre one but a guy who can hold down a back up spot there.

I like this move but lets not pretend like we got a steal here, Hughes is not very highly regarded.

Aren't they running a 34 based off former ravens coaches kind of like us?

I don't know if they have any former Ravens D coaches but I know they converted Mathis and Freeney to OLBs last year so they're definitely more of a 3-4 team.

Yep- they've been criticized for drafting Bjoern Werner, as some scouts have said he's a weak fit for a 3-4 rush LB.

That's right.

You know, I have been biting my tongue to say the same thing for the last few years. I never got the "Shep is the answer" crowd (who included Wanny). The guy seemed slow and took bad angles.

No hard feelings against him, but fare thee well!!

I think everyone part of the LB were horrible: Barnett, Moats, Sheppard all were caught playing out of position....Hopefully Nigel will be different.

I know it's awful early, but who's with me on expecting a bit of a downturn for the Colts this season? I think they had a huge boost last year with the influx of new blood, but they also got extremely lucky (pun intended). Their QB will be a long term fixture, so they should never be "horrible," but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them miss the playoffs.

Mmmkay, let's break the sumbitch down...

First, from OTA's we saw Mario at OLB. Not saying he'll be there all the time, but looking at Pettine's time with the Ravens they would use someone as a pure rusher, only not keeping his hand on the ground and there is no one we have more dominant at the role than MW. He is likely backed up by Anderson and Hughes.

Two, Alonso seems likely to start at Mike unless they pick up Dansby

Three, DL is likely to be K Williams, Dareus, Branch, in some order. Backed up by Troup and Carrington.

Fourth, Sam LB is Lawson, but Buddy has said he thinks that Hughes could back him up there as well as his role as the Hybrid DE/OLB

I would be surprised to see Mario playing standup LB except in obvious passing situations. Mario's strength is his strength not his quickness off the edge. Plus he's way too good a run defending DL not to use there, IMO. Also, there would be some serious growing pains starting a rookie like Alonso as the mike but I agree that he does seem like the most likely candidate.