Peter King on the Bills

Really excellent stuff from Mr. King -- and I can't always say that. It makes me feel good about Marrone as a person that he cared so much about Nassib that the decision pained him, but it makes me feel even better about him as a coach that he knew Manuel was better.

Agree with you about King, But certainly a great read!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, lets not forget if you go back and read the posts from say December/January.... Nassib was a player that was discussed as a midround talent that you might have to get in the 3rd just to be sure you got him.

in the end, if you forget all the mock guys trying to play him up to buffalo in the first for a story line... it seems the nfl generally stood by that early opinion and not what the media swayed towards.

During the college season, I thought Nassib would be a 5-6th round pick. Givent he inflation of QB's in the draft, I think he went right where I would have expected him to go back then. I too got up in the pre draft buzz and expected him to go higher.

In hindsight, the only QB that suprised me was Barkley. I've said it before, but I think Barkely's draft position was destroyed by a horrible college coach. I think Barkley should have gone in the second, and Philly got great value. Of course, I still don't understand how they will ever use him in that offensive system, but that's another story.

Good article. Nassib is the big loser in all of this. I feel it's always better for a young guy with promise to be drafted by a team that needs him NOW. It was horrible for Nassib to be drafted and now sitting behind a sure fire starter in Eli. It's terrible for Mallett to be sitting behind Brady. Ask those guys now and they would rather be free agents to sign with anyone.

well, lets not forget if you go back and read the posts from say December/January.... Nassib was a player that was discussed as a midround talent that you might have to get in the 3rd just to be sure you got him.

in the end, if you forget all the mock guys trying to play him up to buffalo in the first for a story line... it seems the nfl generally stood by that early opinion and not what the media swayed towards.

That's true. I wasn't a Nassib fan because he just makes playing QB look difficult. But I think ultimately QB's got passed because the need wasn't felt as strongly as in past years. I believe that 9 rookie QB's started games last year. That's better than 1/4 of the entire league. Most of those teams are probably at least hopeful that those young QB's are their answer and they were inclined to fill other positions.

But a good quarterback has a potentially much larger impact on a franchise than a great player at any other position. That being the case.....the top prospects in every draft are the QB's with the most potential to be great to good. After that point, everyone else falls into place.

For that reason I don't think slotting QB's by a round works the way it does at other positions. At QB you are either going to being great, good, just a reserve or you stink. That is more of a four round draft. I think a guy like Nassib 3 years from now may end up going even later in the draft because there are so many capable quarterbacks entering the league each year now that the demand for "good" QB's will continue to decline while the demand for elite ones will remain constant.