Buying a hybrid to save money at the pump?

I do it all the time! I am so incredibly lazy... I just ditch the mower in the garage in the fall and fire it up in May... Just fired up the same gas in my 17 year old Craftsman (Briggs and Stratton engine) mower! I can't get the thing to blow up! I am looking for an excuse to get a new one! ;-) Same thing with my generator... That does have the stabilzer in though... I fire that up once a month... Never from fall to spring, unless needed...

Really...

Briggs and Stratton Fuel Stabilzer Plus IMO is better than Sta-Bil... That stuff is like "butter" for an engine!

EDIT: What helps with the generator is that it has a fuel shutoff valve. That way you can isolate the fuel line between the carb and tank... IMO...

I bought a generator after Tropical Storm Irene in 2011. Power was out for 3 days. Got home, set it up. Dumped gallons of gas into it and got it running. Went inside to run the cable to my fridge and the lights were back on :lol::doh:

Last summer I had finished mowing my lawn one afternoon and my riding mower ran out of gas, like literally on the ramp to my shed. Not quite to the top where I could push it over the hump and too far where it would gently slide back to Earth. There it sat on an angle, hoping the thing didn't tip over while I went to the gas station. Then I looked over at my other shed and remembered my generator full of gasoline. So I siphoned out gas into a red Solo cup :lol:

Rest of the summer I would fill up the mower with a gallon of fresh gas and the rest with stabilized

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry. I may buy one to shuttle around my palatial 500 acre estate out here in Blackhawk. Nice and quiet so I don't wake up anyone in the servants quarters for those late night activities.

Honestly though, my sis in law has one and she's alright. But when I'm out driving I always seem to run up behind them(and I don't drive fast) behind one of them in the fast lane and they are barely going the speed limit. My sense is they are trying to regulate traffic trying "heroically" to protect the enviorment by limiting my consumption of fossil fuels. When I finally do get by them they always seem to be(I am in the Bay Area) the middle aged grey haired hippy ladies and they almost always are proudly displaying their "Obama/Biden" bumper sticker. STILL!

I live in the Bay Area and the worst place for the Prius crowd...Berkeley adjacent and I do drive fast. I swear I'm going to kill one of those hippies one of these days. :censored:

Hey, I have a Prius, and I neither have bumper stickers nor am smug about it. I bought it because...neat toy.

Side note: I saw a Bentley yesterday with an Obama 2012 bumper sticker on it. My amusement at the masochistic support of Obama by someone who's rich enough to own a Bentley was significantly minor compared to the observation that someone out there is moronic enough to put a bumper sticker on a Bentley. I bet they by Monets at auction and scribble on them with crayon, too.

Can anybody post a pic of a gumpy old guy in a Prius with a bottle of Centrum Silver in his hand?

I need a visual for this post

Recently went car shopping and considered a hybrid - - the sales guy actually said that because of the hybrid's regenerative braking system, I would get the best gas mileage by braking as hard and often as possible. :doh:

Well no ****. You jam the brakes down full force the car won't move. MPG?? Infinite!!

I live in the Bay Area and the worst place for the Prius crowd...Berkeley adjacent and I do drive fast. I swear I'm going to kill one of those hippies one of these days. :censored:

My brother drives a lot and got a Prius about a year ago or so. I bust his chops all the time, calling him a tree hugger. When Sandy hit the NE and NY screwed up gas rations, the lines were ridiculous and he called me driving home in the worst of the gas lines yelling "I'm driving by all these poor saps standing in line at the gas stations. Who's a tree-hugger now, B word!" :lol:

My brother drives a lot and got a Prius about a year ago or so. I bust his chops all the time, calling him a tree hugger. When Sandy hit the NE and NY screwed up gas rations, the lines were ridiculous and he called me driving home in the worst of the gas lines yelling "I'm driving by all these poor saps standing in line at the gas stations. Who's a tree-hugger now, B word!" :lol:

Well if you are similar to me and my brother the answer to that question would have been "you are dickface!!" :D

Prius owners should pay more taxes because they drive too slow and are responsible for millions of lost man/woman hours every year as they cause others who are stuck behind them to be on the roads longer than necessary. One of these days I'm gonna buy a used Prius and convert it to V-8 power just to piss off all the lefties.

I think it's hysterical. A tax that hits mostly the libs. Love it. Can't wait to hear them complain.

i like fast, powerful cars...it's a weakness from a liberal perspective i call it fun.. what can i say. i've never considered a hybrid (for one, you can't get them with a manual transmission but very few cars are available in that now- that sucks too). that said, THIS SUCKS!!! ok, you got what you wanted gloat away. mcdonald is a flaming assh**e. terrible governor. find me a dem gov who likes fast cars and tolerates hybrids and i'm good.

i like fast, powerful cars...it's a weakness from a liberal perspective i call it fun.. what can i say. i've never considered a hybrid (for one, you can't get them with a manual transmission but very few cars are available in that now- that sucks too). that said, THIS SUCKS!!! ok, you got what you wanted gloat away. mcdonald is a flaming assh**e. terrible governor. find me a dem gov who likes fast cars and tolerates hybrids and i'm good.

Speaking of Virginia governors and hybrid cars, what's your take on McAuliffe's ties to Green Energy scams and pay for visa cons?

The very worst of them can be spotted at stop lights smelling their own farts.

Speaking of Virginia governors and hybrid cars, what's your take on McAuliffe's ties to Green Energy scams and pay for visa cons?

don't know anything about it. enlighten me. i'm ripe for more disillusion.

Sorry. I may buy one to shuttle around my palatial 500 acre estate out here in Blackhawk. Nice and quiet so I don't wake up anyone in the servants quarters for those late night activities.

Honestly though, my sis in law has one and she's alright. But when I'm out driving I always seem to run up behind them(and I don't drive fast) behind one of them in the fast lane and they are barely going the speed limit. My sense is they are trying to regulate traffic trying "heroically" to protect the enviorment by limiting my consumption of fossil fuels. When I finally do get by them they always seem to be(I am in the Bay Area) the middle aged grey haired hippy ladies and they almost always are proudly displaying their "Obama/Biden" bumper sticker. STILL!

I get that sense from CRV and RAV-4 drivers. I have an inviolable law when driving: NEVER pick the lane that puts you behind RAV-4 or CRV.

I can hit 99.9 mpg in my Rav4. I put it in neutral when coming to a stop.

It's YOU! Not enough that you have to moderate the board, you have to !@#$in' moderate !@#$in' traffic, too...

I get that sense from CRV and RAV-4 drivers. I have an inviolable law when driving: NEVER pick the lane that puts you behind RAV-4 or CRV.

It's YOU! Not enough that you have to moderate the board, you have to !@#$in' moderate !@#$in' traffic, too...

Where I'm living now it's the f'n Ohio drivers. They'll cruise in the left lane at exactly 65 mph and when they finally pass the person next to them that was driving 64.99 mph and I get to go on my way they cruise at 70-75 mph in the right lane. I curse them, all the time.

Oh no, trust me, my commute is a 2-lane country road. I get behind sunday drivers going 10 under the speed limit and can't pass them because of all the curves in the road. So as soon as I see an opening, even if it's a double yellow, I'm off to the races to get around them.

Where I'm living now it's the f'n Ohio drivers. They'll cruise in the left lane at exactly 65 mph and when they finally pass the person next to them that was driving 64.99 mph and I get to go on my way they cruise at 70-75 mph in the right lane. I curse them, all the time.

I've noticed that too, no idea why all Ohio drivers seem to do that.

<p>

<br />

Oh no, trust me, my commute is a 2-lane country road. I get behind sunday drivers going 10 under the speed limit and can't pass them because of all the curves in the road. So as soon as I see an opening, even if it's a double yellow, I'm off to the races to get around them.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

I've noticed that too, no idea why all Ohio drivers seem to do that.<br />

<br />

<br />

Well, let me help you out here, they are idiots.</p>

don't know anything about it. enlighten me. i'm ripe for more disillusion.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323741004578416821313987276.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/us/in-virginia-governors-race-electric-cars-could-backfire-for-terry-mcauliffe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Plus he hasn't released his tax returns yet and Offshore accounts are bad too. But those rules only apply to Republicans

http://watchdog.org/81836/mcauliffe-car-co-parent-in-off-shore-tax-shelter/