Buying a hybrid to save money at the pump?

The government will find a way to take that savings.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/28/hybrid-taxes-gas-tax-highway-funding/2110297/

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, a Republican, signed a new law last month that lowers the gas tax for everyone, but slaps a $64-per-year fee on hybrid and electric car owners to help make up for what those drivers aren't paying at the pump.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Gas taxes do more than just pay for roads," he says. "Gas taxes also discourage gas consumption, which means less traffic, more use of public transit, and less demand for new roads."

People still have to get from point A to point B and most will drive. The money will come in for roads, bridges, and lighting... What drop off in driving will put less strain on the roads, say less potholes.

Does a sort of "Tragedy of Commons" apply here? It is okay when a few can game the system and benefit. But what happens to the system when the majority games it?

I know a Prius driver that wasn't too happy about that :lol:

At least he bought his Prius because he like shiny new things and not to save the environment by getting better MPG in a new car that literally takes tons of steel, plastic, and petroleum products to produce

We do. It's called Obamacare.

The various levels of government have always used "sin taxes" (smokes, liquor, gas, etc.) to ostensibly try and regulate what people do. In reality it's just a money grab. When it starts working (reducing sin) they have to replace that income somehow. Nevermind their original claim that if people would reduce their bad habits it would reduce costs overall. They promote hybrids and electric cars with subsidies and then government turns around and throws an extra tax on them. It's really laughable because they're actually probably right in doing so, and wrong in giving the subsidies in the first place.

So in other words: If we all drive gas guzzlers, we'd have shiny new roads and bridges and the enviro suffers. Yet, if we drive the new hybrids, bike it, what not... Roads get crappier, bridges crumble AND the enviro is done a favor. Big problem we have here with "the commons." How do we judge "wear and tear," upkeep, etc... Maybe tie it into "miles used?" There has to be a way to solve this "use" condundrum. Of course everbody wants to graze their cows on the commons and get ahead as an individual. ;-) Screw those batteries made in stinking China... ;-) ;-)

So in other words: If we all drive gas guzzlers, we'd have shiny new roads and bridges and the enviro suffers. Yet, if we drive the new hybrids, bike it, what not... Roads get crappier, bridges crumble AND the enviro is done a favor. Big problem we have here with "the commons." How do we judge "wear and tear," upkeep, etc... Maybe tie it into "miles used?" There has to be a way to solve this "use" condundrum. Of course everbody wants to graze their cows on the commons and get ahead as an individual. ;-) Screw those batteries made in stinking China... ;-) ;-)

You are a simpleton.

You are a simpleton.

So be it then. If vehicles keep on getting better gas milelage... Where is the revenue going to come from to maintain the infrastructure that the vehicles use to operate on? People still have to get from point A to point B. Who's going to foot the bill especially if the economy must grow? It costs a lot for concrete and asphalt.

Maybe certify your odometer @ tax time? Go back to dirt roads and water trucks?

Yeah, I am a simpleton... What's the end game in maintaing our transportation infastructure in relation to the environment? Economy and environment seem to always diverge away from each other's interests.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Also, $65 a year fee for driving a hybrid is stupid and clearly political imo.

How so?

Justification for the gas tax is to upkeep on the roads and building new roads. Hybrid drivers use the same roads but pay less tax.

Shouldn't they pay their fair share? :rolleyes:

Prius owners should pay more taxes because they drive too slow and are responsible for millions of lost man/woman hours every year as they cause others who are stuck behind them to be on the roads longer than necessary. One of these days I'm gonna buy a used Prius and convert it to V-8 power just to piss off all the lefties.

Stop calling the environment the enviro. I find it bothersome.

I think it's hysterical. A tax that hits mostly the libs. Love it. Can't wait to hear them complain.

Stop calling the environment the enviro. I find it bothersome.

Explain. Why is it bothersome? I use it not to disparage... In post #8 and the whole word in post #10... What is your beef. Should I just call it "E." Should I say: "Eviron?" :-P

Like Miner said... I am a simpleton. What is your alternative to fixing pot holes & bridges? My 15 mpg 2006 Jeep is just as heavy and does just as much damage as new hybrid... Where is the money going to come from when infrastructure crumbles. Should there be a trust fund established like they have on the inland waterways? That comes from diesel surcharge that COMMERCIAL cargo vessels pay... about $.19 a gallon that the company burns. With that surcharge, pleasure craft can utilize the infastructure all they want with out paying a service fee... Should something happen like that on the roads between personal vehicles and commercial (trucks) vehicles?

Prius owners should pay more taxes because they drive too slow and are responsible for millions of lost man/woman hours every year as they cause others who are stuck behind them to be on the roads longer than necessary. One of these days I'm gonna buy a used Prius and convert it to V-8 power just to piss off all the lefties.

I think it's hysterical. A tax that hits mostly the libs. Love it. Can't wait to hear them complain.

I love it! They are doing damage, just as my gas guzzler is! If not more! Again, these libs literally want to graze on the commons (roads) until there are worn raw...

Again... Maybe certify everybody's odometer on 4/15? Boy that would go over like a lead balloon! LoL

So be it then. If vehicles keep on getting better gas milelage... Where is the revenue going to come from to maintain the infrastructure that the vehicles use to operate on? People still have to get from point A to point B. Who's going to foot the bill especially if the economy must grow? It costs a lot for concrete and asphalt.

Maybe certify your odometer @ tax time? Go back to dirt roads and water trucks?

Yeah, I am a simpleton... What's the end game in maintaing our transportation infastructure in relation to the environment? Economy and environment seem to always diverge away from each other's interests.

a tax based on miles driven and the weight of the vehicle with the mileage recorded as part of your yearly safety inspection would make the most sense

a tax based on miles driven and the weight of the vehicle with the mileage recorded as part of your yearly safety inspection would make the most sense

Assuming people do not drive their vehicle out of state

How would you account for somebody that lives in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and commutes to work in Hampton Roads?

Assuming people do not drive their vehicle out of state

How would you account for somebody that lives in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and commutes to work in Hampton Roads?

people in the south don't have paved roads so it's not a problem................................................................!@#$ing dunce