Is a Fork Lift Heavy Machinery ?

TSNBDSC

Standard pallet forklift (the type one would find in a warehouse situation)?

In spite of their ridiculous mass per volume, NO.

When you get into Gradall's which are used at construction site to move materials (including pallets) YES.

Also there are forklifts that are used to move shipping containers which are built on heavy machinery platforms.

... standard pallet fork lift ... thanks ... tom

Yes. They are. Of course, they are not a Cat dozer or front end loader or anything, or even a skidsteer. I've driven a lot of heavier equipment, but still consider forklifts to be heavy equipment. The fact that more people drive them with much less experience means they are more dangerous, in my opinion.

Yes.

Don't believe me? Let someone drive it over your foot.

I was trying to chase a forklift and turn its gas off. He turned to get away, and ran over my foot slowing down knowing he would nearly hit me. I yelled stop, my foot. Bastard literally managed to stop on my foot. Luckily, I was wearing steel to. Unfortunately, it was on my foot, not my toes. Other then a few aches for a few days it did not hurt. I imagine the boots I was wearing helped hold the foot together otherwise it would have been a mess. It also recently happened at a factory associated with the place I work and the woman just had some minor bruising.

Have you had it happen to you?

Yes. They are. Of course, they are not a Cat dozer or front end loader or anything, or even a skidsteer. I've driven a lot of heavier equipment, but still consider forklifts to be heavy equipment. The fact that more people drive them with much less experience means they are more dangerous, in my opinion.

I was trying to chase a forklift and turn its gas off. He turned to get away, and ran over my foot slowing down knowing he would nearly hit me. I yelled stop, my foot. Bastard literally managed to stop on my foot. Luckily, I was wearing steel to. Unfortunately, it was on my foot, not my toes. Other then a few aches for a few days it did not hurt. I imagine the boots I was wearing helped hold the foot together otherwise it would have been a mess. It also recently happened at a factory associated with the place I work and the woman just had some minor bruising.

Have you had it happen to you?

You should have been wearing a shoe with a metatarsal guard... That is where your foot is exposed dropping and rolling hazards.

I have to wear steel toes @ work... They have nice saftey shoes with internal metatarsal guards, like in a nice welding shoe. If you have a high instep, I suppose the internal guards are a pain. The ones I have, you can't even tell they have the guard. The ones with the external guards do off more protection.

Here are the one's I wear:

http://www.hytest.com/Shop/detail.aspx?pid=24229&sid=&stid=M

For wider and higher insteps... FWIW, the American lasts will give you a better fit... The Hytest Footrests are a very nice line!

Funny as those last couple of accidents are, granted the forklift ran into them, but the pallet racks need to be supported so that they do not collapse.

I wonder if they were not bolted into the floor. I've bumped the posts on pallet racks before and it would give a little quiver, but never dropped one like in the video.

I've also gotten a fork lift up on two wheels going around a corner, but that's a story for another time.

I wonder if they were not bolted into the floor. I've bumped the posts on pallet racks before and it would give a little quiver, but never dropped one like in the video.

Not only should they be bolted to the floor they need to be restrained up top. Ours are cabled to the roof trusses.