LAMP-Running a marathon tomorrow

Stl Bills

Tomorrow will be my 30th B day and somehow my 62 year old mom (she runs one about every 5-6 weeks) convinced me to run the Big Sur Marathon out here in Cali. I'll be running it with my Mom, Dad and oldest sister. There is a huge group out here from Boston as there was a big group of runners doing "Boston 2 Big Sur" where they run both marathons in 2 weeks. Met a guy tonight whose wife finished about 15 minutes prior to the bomb going off and he and his daughter had been standing really close by. kind of crazy to hear some of the stories and I'll be keeping those people in my thoughts during the race. Pretty fuggin nervous but hopefully i do alright, wish me luck!

I did great....hell, I'm just happy i finished. Big Sur is supposed to be the most beautiful/scenic marathon in the USA and it didnt dissapoint (I even saw a whale out in the pacific). It's a great course, but it's insanely hilly. I'm glad i can say I did it but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to half marathons...I like that distance a lot better.

I did great....hell, I'm just happy i finished. Big Sur is supposed to be the most beautiful/scenic marathon in the USA and it didnt dissapoint (I even saw a whale out in the pacific). It's a great course, but it's insanely hilly. I'm glad i can say I did it but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to half marathons...I like that distance a lot better.

Congrats! I have done three, none of them very fast, but always feel great coming across the line.The hilly part would be hard..do they do this run on the PCH? That would be nuggin futs..even more kudos if that was the case.

Congrats! As someone who is pretty new to distance running i have a great respect for people that have it in them to run a marathon. Have done 2 Halfs, just signed up for third this fall. My wife has always been a runner and she got me into it a couple years ago. I mean I did some running for soccer and hockey but never any real distance running. It sure is a lot about the mental aspect especially once you have been training for a while and are pretty much in shape. My wife wants to do a marathon and I may try it sometime but it would obviously be a much more strict and serious training schedule than for a half. For this fall hoping to crack 2 hrs or be close to it. For me, the 1/2 is a perfect distance.

I will drink wine and cheer you on.

http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/

This is the 1/2 we just signed up for. Nothing like running 13.1 then following it up with some vino! :)

Congrats! I have done three, none of them very fast, but always feel great coming across the line.The hilly part would be hard..do they do this run on the PCH? That would be nuggin futs..even more kudos if that was the case.

I'm not sure what the PCH is (not too familiar with the area, was my first time there)....it's on HWY 1 from Big Sur to Carmel right along the coast. There was a 2 mile hill at one point at pretty steep grade from mile 11-13 but the scenery the whole time was awesome. Here's the link for the marathon.....

EDIT: OH Duh....Pacific Coast Highway...yes it sure was.

http://www.bsim.org/site3.aspx

Again, it wasn't the easiest marathon to do but I think the views kind of make up for the hills....or at least they seam to now that it is over. It was awesome.

Congrats! As someone who is pretty new to distance running i have a great respect for people that have it in them to run a marathon. Have done 2 Halfs, just signed up for third this fall. My wife has always been a runner and she got me into it a couple years ago. I mean I did some running for soccer and hockey but never any real distance running. It sure is a lot about the mental aspect especially once you have been training for a while and are pretty much in shape. My wife wants to do a marathon and I may try it sometime but it would obviously be a much more strict and serious training schedule than for a half. For this fall hoping to crack 2 hrs or be close to it. For me, the 1/2 is a perfect distance.

http://www.rundisney...-half-marathon/

This is the 1/2 we just signed up for. Nothing like running 13.1 then following it up with some vino! :)

My whole family and a bunch of family friends ran Disney this year. My mom did the Goofy Challenge where you run the half on Saturday and the full on Sunday but she's nuts. The rest of just did the half. The half was a lot of fun, the only thing I would tell you though is it is really really crowded and you literally have to get up at like 2:30am to get on the bus the morning of the race. I think over 25k people were in the half this year. It was a great time though and I would highly recommend it.

Edited by Stl Bills

My whole family and a bunch of family friends ran Disney this year. My mom did the Goofy Challenge where you run the half on Saturday and the full on Sunday but she's nuts. The rest of just did the half. The half was a lot of fun, the only thing I would tell you though is it is really really crowded and you literally have to get up at like 2:30am to get on the bus the morning of the race. I think over 25k people were in the half this year. It was a great time though and I would highly recommend it.

We actually ran the half there in January also. I was the guy in the Bills shirt :) Pretty humid wasn't it? A lot different than our training runs outside in November and December in Ohio! Congrats to your family and especially for your mom doing the goofy. I'm pretty much in awe of all the people that do it. I think I prefer the half followed by drinking around the world at Epcot! We completed both. Have you heard about the Dopey challenge for next year? If not google it. It's a step up from goofy. Pretty intense!

We actually ran the half there in January also. I was the guy in the Bills shirt :) Pretty humid wasn't it? A lot different than our training runs outside in November and December in Ohio! Congrats to your family and especially for your mom doing the goofy. I'm pretty much in awe of all the people that do it. I think I prefer the half followed by drinking around the world at Epcot! We completed both. Have you heard about the Dopey challenge for next year? If not google it. It's a step up from goofy. Pretty intense!

I'm one of the dopes doing Dopey. I planned on doing Goofy for over a year. The day I went to register I had a dumb thought "what's another 9 miles"

Wish me luck

• 4 months later...

So just finished the Rock and Roll half in Va Beach. Did it in 1.49.46 which i was really pleased with.For a 50 yr old fat guy not so bad!

I am actually training for a half iron that is on the 22nd, so have been been hitting it pretty hard lately , including yesterday. Decided to do this yesterday and bought a bib off Craigslist, cheaper than face!!! But damn, all I could think of in mile 12 was think how much worse this will be after a 50 mile bike ride....ahh, but ain't the beer cold on the beach today( for you Chuck Thompson fans out there).

So just finished the Rock and Roll half in Va Beach. Did it in 1.49.46 which i was really pleased with.For a 50 yr old fat guy not so bad!

I am actually training for a half iron that is on the 22nd, so have been been hitting it pretty hard lately , including yesterday. Decided to do this yesterday and bought a bib off Craigslist, cheaper than face!!! But damn, all I could think of in mile 12 was think how much worse this will be after a 50 mile bike ride....ahh, but ain't the beer cold on the beach today( for you Chuck Thompson fans out there).

Inspiring!