Saturday Night Short Track Racing

boyst

Tonight the season starts up for our small track and I'm going. Bowman Gray is about 20 minutes away in Winston, this time of year the short track season starts. This place is 20,000 capacity but will hold 25,000 tonight in standing room only. These modified racers get serious, it's not uncommon they do stuff like this below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8765TvWg1s

There are more videos of fights there. The small 1/4 mile track, no banking heats up action and these rednecks fight like no tomorrow. Fans are great, you can bring in coolers, too. It was the track featured on the show Mad House a couple years ago - it was stupid, though.

Stockton 99 speedway. Went there a lot in the 80's as a young child. My grandpa was a NASCAR official there. He'd let me carry his briefcase while he did post race inspections as my folks would be fighting in the stands with other fans. Wild, and as a child, scary times.

Boogity boogity boogity. Let's go racing. NASCAR's first paved track. 65 years running. The best attending Saturday track in the country. The longest running series track. 200 lap modified race.

Skid race next week. Front wheel drive car with no rear wheels.

Just watched the end And this is exactly Why i don't understand racing. Montoya is winning, Then on a caution with 3 laps left He pits, gets 4 New tires And drops to 6th??? He couldn't have made 3 measly laps without New tires???

He could have. Blame the crew chief.

Same thing happened last night, except the car was not rear end on the wall - it was the entire passenger side, it then flipped on the side behind the rail between stadium. Someone will eventually get killed. Never sit in turn two...

517c9c24bad8f.image.jpg