Out of the mouths of liberal lunatics

Dante

I agree with him, but I'm afraid he is pandering to the right; probably trying to sound fair and balanced like that buffoon O'Reilly...the spin stops here my ass. More media guys trying to sound intelligent and "connected" with the people. I get better news from you guys. A lot of intelligent guys on PPP...so thanks for posting this (even though I am not a fan of the media currently).

I agree with him, but I'm afraid he is pandering to the right; probably trying to sound fair and balanced like that buffoon O'Reilly...the spin stops here my ass. More media guys trying to sound intelligent and "connected" with the people. I get better news from you guys. A lot of intelligent guys on PPP...so thanks for posting this (even though I am not a fan of the media currently).

Personally I like Maher's show. It's a comedy show, light on policy and sometimes the panel is absolutely atrocious...but in any event say what you want about him but he is terribly unlikely to pander to the right under any circumstances.

And he is also right for the most part in what he says. While there are some fringe Christian groups in Africa that go nuts...they're fairly self contained on a continent nobody cares about. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find other examples. But the bottom line is Islam is the least tolerant of the major religions. That's all he's really saying imo, and that's the truth in 2013. That isn't to say that adding the caveat that there are a TON of muslims world wide who are not terrorists isn't important, particularly for public officials. Not just for political reasons...but b/c the muslim fringe is nuts...and it's better to speak softly and carry a big stick given the way in which they wage war.

Edited by SameOldBills

Personally I like Maher's show. It's a comedy show, light on policy and sometimes the panel is absolutely atrocious...but in any event say what you want about him but he is terribly unlikely to pander to the right under any circumstances.

And he is also right for the most part in what he says. While there are some fringe Christian groups in Africa that go nuts...they're fairly self contained on a continent nobody cares about. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find other examples. But the bottom line is Islam is the least tolerant of the major religions. That's all he's really saying imo, and that's the truth in 2013. That isn't to say that adding the caveat that there are a TON of muslims world wide who are not terrorists isn't important, particularly for public officials. Not just for political reasons...but b/c the muslim fringe is nuts...and it's better to speak softly and carry a big stick given the way in which they wage war.

bull ****. It is not the religion that is the least tolerant, it is the people who interpret it who become fanatical.

If you disagree, take a drive on Mea'shearim on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited by meazza

bull ****. It is not the religion that is the least tolerant, it is the people who interpret it who become fanatical.

If you disagree, take a drive on Mea'shearim on a Saturday afternoon.

splitting hairs...I have never once opened their book nor will I ever. I could care less if they're getting it right.

splitting hairs...I have never once opened their book nor will I ever. I could care less if they're getting it right.

It invalidates your argument. The religion isn't intolerant. You need to get out of your bubble.

if you would like I will modify my statement from the "religion" to the "muslim culture" in may areas of the world

To quote DCTom, I agree with him that it is related to tribalism. As i posted in another thread, I'm glad that some Muslim's went to the police to tip off radicalized members of their group.

To quote DCTom, I agree with him that it is related to tribalism. As i posted in another thread, I'm glad that some Muslim's went to the police to tip off radicalized members of their group.

It's also related to the fact the the Arabs and Persians never really recovered - materially, intellectually, or psychologically - from getting their asses kicked by the Mongols. Pre-Mongols, Islam was rather liberal (comparatively - Christian Europe was backwards as **** at the time) and wealthy, with strong merchant, intellectual, and artisan classes. Post-Mongols, the governing and productive classes were eliminated (as well as a huge chunk of physical infrastructure), the wealth looted, and the remaining population intensely reactive and xenophobic.

Between that and the Mongol re-opening of the traditional Silk Road (which replaced the sea-borne trade previously the domain of Arab/Muslim merchants), the Arabs and Persians never had a chance at anything like the Renaissance, Reformation, and Age of Enlightenment that Christian Europe had.

It's also related to the fact the the Arabs and Persians never really recovered - materially, intellectually, or psychologically - from getting their asses kicked by the Mongols. Pre-Mongols, Islam was rather liberal (comparatively - Christian Europe was backwards as **** at the time) and wealthy, with strong merchant, intellectual, and artisan classes. Post-Mongols, the governing and productive classes were eliminated (as well as a huge chunk of physical infrastructure), the wealth looted, and the remaining population intensely reactive and xenophobic.

Between that and the Mongol re-opening of the traditional Silk Road (which replaced the sea-borne trade previously the domain of Arab/Muslim merchants), the Arabs and Persians never had a chance at anything like the Renaissance, Reformation, and Age of Enlightenment that Christian Europe had.

For the purposes of this discussion...hardly see how this is dispositive....or even relevant to debate over whether or not current realities are realities.

It invalidates your argument. The religion isn't intolerant. You need to get out of your bubble.

No? Just one of many-

YUSUFALI: Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

PICKTHAL: When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

SHAKIR: When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

For the purposes of this discussion...hardly see how this is dispositive....or even relevant to debate over whether or not current realities are realities.

Yes, current realities are realities. Thanks for clarifying that. I was wondering if realities could be like unreal.

Just informational. When comparing Islam and Christianity, it's valuable to remember that Islam is basically Christianity stuck back around 1350, with a good dash of historical xenophobia thrown in.

Although your statement modifying "religion" to "Muslim culture" is still somewhat inaccurate. It's far more Arab and Persian Islamic culture - the Arab-Berbers, Turks, Bengali, Egyptians, etc., don't have the same cultural memory that the Arabs and Persians do.

Yes, current realities are realities.

The Obama Administration begs to disagree with you.

As would have the Bush Administration, back in 2003.

No? Just one of many-

YUSUFALI: Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

PICKTHAL: When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

SHAKIR: When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

Now start posting **** from the Old Testament.

Why? I was responding to a post that stated Islam is not intolerant. Other religions are irrelevant to my point.

Ok well to clarify, Islam is just as intolerant as any other religious text from the three big religions.

Ok well to clarify, Islam is just as intolerant as any other religious text from the three big religions.

:rolleyes: Edit: 3 different ways to go with this drivel, take your pick, as any of them alone is the "short post" that you covet, and any of them sufficiently refute this nonsense.

It's the behavior of radical Muslims that defines them, and not some label that bigots attach to them or their religion...sure. Of course.

But, it's also what is literally written in the books. You are telling us ignore the words that are written...when so many Muslims, in various degrees from militant to mostly harmless, don't ignore the words. :blink: Why the double standard? Or is the reason we should ignore the words: by some wild interpretation, you can extrapolate a similar meaning from another religion, and call that "the same" when all you have to do is read the words, literally, in the Koran?

The other thing to keep in mind: Islam has instructions for how to deal with Big Religion, because Big Religion already existed. That the other religions don't have "how to deal with the competition" sections....should tell you something. :rolleyes: Yeah, if you are 100% about uplifting humanity and bringing them closer to God, you don't care, and don't spend any time on "feature comparison". Islam does. Islam is unique in that it's founder is the only one that ran around conquering people.

Coincidence? How is that "the same"?

How about this: we treat everybody based 100% on how likely they are to take the Koran(or their subsequent prophecies), the Bible, etc., literally, and ensure that, for those that adhere strictly, their choice of behavior isn't allowed to infringe on anyone's human rights, and, that we keep that group of people on a very short leash?

It is their choice, but, their right to their choices doesn't mean we lose our right to make our choices, based on theirs.

Given that, who will we end up having the hardest time with? But, shouldn't it be "the same"?

Radical Islam is about political gain. When I say political gain, I'm not referring to "using gay marriage to raise money from Hollywood". No, I mean old-school political gain, as in "taking territory and enslaving people under a despotic Caliphate".

Radical Christianity is about abortion, and "No Adam and Steve". :rolleyes:

Radical Islam is about war and genocide for political gain. :o

But they are the same, for no other reason than: because you say so?

Edited by OCinBuffalo