Pistol Pete Maravich (As cool as they came)

To me, Pete Mararvich had the greatest, most remarkable stat of anyone in any sport. Even greater than Gretzky. Consider this...

Maravich still holds the best career average ppg in Division 1, at 44.2

Maravich still holds the best season ever ppg in Division 1, at 44.5

What does that mean? His best year average, the best year anyone ever had, was one third of one point away from his career average.

Maravich, in three straight years, scored within one point of each other, and they were the 1st, 4th and 5th best seasons anyone ever had, at 43.8, 44.2 and 44.5

This was without a three point line.

People have gone back and looked at his games and concluded, because he was famous for long distance shots, that he would have averaged 57 points a game for his career.

And he was an absolutely great passer, averaging 5-6 assists a game so he wasn't always just gunning.

And this was when freshmen weren't allowed to play varsity.

How much did he score on the freshman team? Yep, you guessed it, 43.6

In only three years playing for his father at LSU, Maravich scored 3,667 points — 1,138 of those in 1968, 1,148 in 1969 and 1,381 in 1970 while averaging 43.8, 44.2 and 44.5 points per game. In his collegiate career, the 6' 5" (1.96 m) guard averaged an incredible 44.2 points per game in 83 contests and led the NCAA in scoring in each of his three seasons.
Edited by Kelly the Dog

Calvin murphy was crazy in college as well. Used to listen to his games on the radio at niagara

Calvin murphy was crazy in college as well. Used to listen to his games on the radio at niagara

he was a great one in that era. WNY had Calvin Murphy at Niagara, Lanier at Bonaventure, Randy Smith at Buff State, and Brockport had some good teams in that era as well. I was in Biloxi during Pete's days and he was considered the greatest then....and come to think of it those folks may have been right.

To me, Pete Mararvich had the greatest, most remarkable stat of anyone in any sport. Even greater than Gretzky. Consider this...

What does that mean? His best year average, the best year anyone ever had, was one third of one point away from his career average.

Maravich, in three straight years, scored within one point of each other, and they were the 1st, 4th and 5th best seasons anyone ever had, at 43.8, 44.2 and 44.5

People have gone back and looked at his games and concluded, because he was famous for long distance shots, that he would have averaged 57 points a game for his career.

And he was an absolutely great passer, averaging 5-6 assists a game so he wasn't always just gunning.

Not only was there no 3-point line, there was no shot clock in college then either

Pistol Pete is one of my nicknames. I wear that name proudly!

Hey, Pistol Pete, don't bogart that tofurkey!

Pistol Pete got his skull cracked open protesting the opening of the new Wal Mart.

Got any more of that wheat grass, Pistol Pete?

Welcome to Good Vibrations, my name is Pistol Pete and I'll be your server today.

After considering the likely uses above, I'm comfortable suggesting that no one has ever called you Pistol Pete.

One of the most compelling sports heroes of my youth. He had that ball on a string when he did some of his tricks. Amazing stuff. Great times for college hoops back then.

GO BILLS!!!

Saw a biopic when I was a kid about him. I became an instant fan. Then I researched his career and tragically his death. He stands out to me as the basketball player I wish I had gotten to see above all others. A little before my time unfortunately.

The game was definitely much more fun to watch, with all the scoring. Calvin Murphy, Rick Mount, etc. with 30+ point averages as well in those years.

I saw Pistol Pete against the Braves and he made this pass where he had the ball on a an odd man break. He never looked at his teammate, never broke stride, but threw the pass somehow between his legs as he's running for an easy layup. Everybody was like What just happened??

Hey, Pistol Pete, don't bogart that tofurkey!

Pistol Pete got his skull cracked open protesting the opening of the new Wal Mart.

Got any more of that wheat grass, Pistol Pete?

Welcome to Good Vibrations, my name is Pistol Pete and I'll be your server today.

After considering the likely uses above, I'm comfortable suggesting that no one has ever called you Pistol Pete.

:lol: