Hollywood is out of ideas : Example #36

Just Jack

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the public would stop flocking to remakes the Scumbags that be would not make them. A remake is probably the safest way to make money on a movie. Blame it on the movieygoing public not the moviemakers. There are thousands of new ideas out there, and most executives would love to make them. The studios are scared to make them because ticket-buyers have repeatedly proven to go to remakes over original ideas.

If the public would stop flocking to remakes the Scumbags that be would not make them. A remake is probably the safest way to make money on a movie. Blame it on the movieygoing public not the moviemakers. There are thousands of new ideas out there, and most executives would love to make them. The studios are scared to make them because ticket-buyers have repeatedly proven to go to remakes over original ideas.

I agree with your first statement. There are lots of ideas out there and books that could be adapted for the big screen, but very little happens.

I will somewhat disagree on your statement about the studios, and give you this example. Peter Jackson was all set to make "Halo" into a movie. He was ready to give it an epic treatment, he had two studios on board. The game has a huge following, so the potential for a blockbuster was there. Then when his budget for the movie was released, the studios said "no". The studios are driven by money, that's obvious, but despite Jackson's proven success with "The Lord of the Rings", which was a huge gamble as well, the studios were afraid because video game movies are not big money makers. They had a chance to take a serious approach to a video game movie and make it a success, but instead they chickened out. I think a lot of studio execs are out of touch with what moviegoers want to see.

Edited by Mark Vader

I agree with your first statement. There are lots of ideas out there and books that could be adapted for the big screen, but very little happens.

I will somewhat disagree on your statement about the studios, and give you this example. Peter Jackson was all set to make "Halo" into a movie. He was ready to give it an epic treatment, he had two studios on board. The game has a huge following, so the potential for a blockbuster was there. Then when his budget for the movie was released, the studios said "no". The studios are driven by money, that's obvious, but despite Jackson's proven success with "The Lord of the Rings", which was a huge gamble as well, the studios were afraid because video game movies are not big money makers. They had a chance to take a serious approach to a video game movie and make it a success, but instead they chickened out. I think a lot of studio execs are out of touch with what moviegoers want to see.

I think you just supported my point. First, how is a video game movie an original idea or something new? Second, they will give the public whatever the public is willing to spend their money on. Sure, there are single exceptions, but you said it yourself, videogame movies don't do well. The public doesn't want them. The studios didnt even think Peter Jackson could draw them in. How did that not support what I was saying? You may think that a movie version of Halo would be extremely cool, but I don't. And there is a good chance the general public wouldn't given the history of such endeavors.

Kelly - Do you consider remakes and cartoon/real life portrayals the same?? I do - kind of sick of Hollywood making movies about The Hulk, Captain America, Green Hornet, Scooby Doo . What's next? The real life movie of "Charlie Brown"?...if so, who plays Charlie Brown...Zack Galafanikas (sp?)

+1

The public's taste is movies is embarassing.

I think you just supported my point. First, how is a video game movie an original idea or something new? Second, they will give the public whatever the public is willing to spend their money on. Sure, there are single exceptions, but you said it yourself, videogame movies don't do well. The public doesn't want them. The studios didnt even think Peter Jackson could draw them in. How did that not support what I was saying? You may think that a movie version of Halo would be extremely cool, but I don't. And there is a good chance the general public wouldn't given the history of such endeavors.

While it's true that video game movies are not a fresh idea, they also aren't all the same either.

I think the public would be open to seeing video game movies if they were made with a more serious tone.

The studios were all in with Peter Jackson's plans to make Halo, until they saw the budget. It was a money decision, not a creative differences decision.

The studios were all in with Peter Jackson's plans to make Halo, until they saw the budget. It was a money decision, not a creative differences decision.

It's the same thing. Pretty much every studio movie made is a money decision unless they really want to work with someone. They didn't think they could make money on Halo because the budget was too high and they couldn't count on the public buying enough tickets, DVDs, pay-per-views, foreign sales, downloads, etc.

It's all the same, and the same thing I originally said. I have met a lot of producers and agents and executives over the years. Most of them would love to make cool, interesting, adventurous, original movies. But they have proven not to make money. Remakes have proven to make money. Videogame movies haven't. It's a business like pro sports is a business. If the choices they make do not make money they lose their jobs. If moviegoers would just not flock to remakes, remakes would go away.

Kelly - Do you consider remakes and cartoon/real life portrayals the same?? I do - kind of sick of Hollywood making movies about The Hulk, Captain America, Green Hornet, Scooby Doo . What's next? The real life movie of "Charlie Brown"?...if so, who plays Charlie Brown...Zack Galafanikas (sp?)

No. Not at all. I think comic book movies are its own cool thing the way a novel turned into a film is its own cool thing. And there are some really good comic book movies.

No. Not at all. I think comic book movies are its own cool thing the way a novel turned into a film is its own cool thing. And there are some really good comic book movies.

Hmmmm, gotta disagree...the originality of the concept is lacking. I admit Spiderman was a great movie initially, but 2, 3, etc not as good. They hooked the audience though. Same with Superman, Batman...the originals are always better.

Hmmmm, gotta disagree...the originality of the concept is lacking. I admit Spiderman was a great movie initially, but 2, 3, etc not as good. They hooked the audience though. Same with Superman, Batman...the originals are always better.

Oh, my bad. I thought you meant comic book movies as a whole.

My answer then is twofold, no I don't think it is the same thing. A sequel is not at all a remake. That said, I think almost all sequels in all genres suck. I understand why they make them I just don't think they are any good. There are of course a few exceptions but not all that many. And I understand why the Star Wars ones and those of that ilk are popular. They're just not for me.

How'd Red Dawn do again?

I just read that they're doing a remake of The Seven Samurai. Which was already remade as The Magnificent Seven. Which they're also making a remake of. Which may be out before the the remake of The Magnificent Seven.

So they're remaking a remake that will be out before the remake of the movie they're remaking a remake of...or something... :wacko:

How'd Red Dawn do again?

I just read that they're doing a remake of The Seven Samurai. Which was already remade as The Magnificent Seven. Which they're also making a remake of. Which may be out before the the remake of The Magnificent Seven.

So they're remaking a remake that will be out before the remake of the movie they're remaking a remake of...or something... :wacko:

I'm hearing they're making a completely new and original version called The Magnificent Samurai.

Since when have you started paying attention to the dark side of the biz? :flirt: