Any suicide bombings since Arafat died?

Pete

I don't know but there have been shootings in which several Israelis, at least a civilian or two among them, have been killed. With the tsunami those haven't gotten too much press.

Hopefully this new guy, Abbas, will prove to be the one who can finally move the peace process forward.

I don't know but there have been shootings in which several Israelis, at least a civilian or two among them, have been killed.  With the tsunami those haven't gotten too much press.

Hopefully this new guy, Abbas, will prove to be the one who can finally move the peace process forward.

199772[/snapback]

Abbas is not 'new.'

Actually you're both right and both wrong.

In March 2003, [Abbas] was named the first Prime Minister of the Palestinian Authority, but never was given full authority as Yasser Arafat insisted that all decision be cleared with him. More important, Arafat maintained control over several security services, which further undermined Abbas's authority. When Abbas explicitly refused to dismantle the terrorist infrastructure in the PA, as required by the road map, the peace process faltered.

Let's see what he can do w/o being under President-For-Life-Arafat. That last sentence doesn't exactly warm any cockles.

Actually you're both right and both wrong.

Let's see what he can do w/o being under President-For-Life-Arafat. That last sentence doesn't exactly warm any cockles.

200212[/snapback]

Actually, that was a nice cut and paste job. Got anything on Qureia?

Ya see, blowhard thinks she knows everything and her 'new' label of Abbas was comical to say the least.

So then in that respect he is the NEW leader.  Which is what I was talking about. And I hope he's got the guts to work for peace instead of same-old same-old.

200171[/snapback]

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that was what you were talking about. How foolish of me.

Actually, that was a nice cut and paste job.  Got anything on Qureia?

Ya see, blowhard thinks she knows everything and her 'new' label of Abbas was comical to say the least.

200234[/snapback]

I wasn't purporting to be an expert. I made a statement about Abbas being the new guy, meaning that he'd just been elected to replace Arafat, which is what the original thread started with.

You elected to attack, for whatever reason I don't know. I was just expressing the hope that under new leadership peace might stand a chance. Perhaps you have something against peace.

I love how you neocon simpletons always try to nail me personally for even the most innocuous statement. That is, I realize, a measure of your fear and how threatened you feel. so, in the same spirit as your unnecessary and unprovoked attack: Why don't you eat my shorts you pathetic little twit?

Oh, my bad.  I didn't realize that was what you were talking about. How foolish of me.

200236[/snapback]

Boom, somebody's holding some kind of meal for Ya!

Why don't you eat my shorts you pathetic little twit?

Make sure you get some fries with that. :lol::D

Actually, that was a nice cut and paste job.  Got anything on Qureia?

200234[/snapback]

I understand how someone could put the "new" label on Abbas. B/c while he was PM, he also resigned b/c Arafat was still basically running the entire show. As I said, let's see how he does w/o Arafat's henchmen standing behind his back w/ knives at the ready and if he can lessen the influence of Hamas and do something serious about the suicide bombers/attacks on settlements.

And yes, hope that Israel will play ball as well.

I understand how someone could put the "new" label on Abbas. B/c while he was PM, he also resigned b/c Arafat was still basically running the entire show. As I said, let's see how he does w/o Arafat's henchmen standing behind his back w/ knives at the ready and if he can lessen the influence of Hamas and do something serious about the suicide bombers/attacks on settlements.

And yes, hope that Israel will play ball as well.

200756[/snapback]

Amen to that - Abbas appears to want to make overtures to the Israelis, but it could all be PR. You just never know. I saw a number of interviews with citizens and they stated to a person that they were sick and tired of the deaths and they wanted peace. So, let's hope it can happen.