Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't been mentioned yet so it needs to be mentioned.

Nolan Nawrocki was criticized for doing a hatchet job on Cam Newton after never speaking to Newton but consider a few things:

1) Nawrocki doesn't typically talk to the players. He talks to scouts and personnel guys. Think about that for a second…

2) The jury is still out on Cam Newton. He's show flashes of greatness and also moments that support the criticisms of him.

3) Nawrocki's overall track record is as good as anyone's and he's long had an outstanding reputation for his player analysis.

It's a bit silly that people are viewing this issue in black and white terms (double entendre intended).

Agreed. Cam aint a franchise qb and neither is Geno. Compare Cam to Luck and Griffen and there is no comparison. All three played on teams with about the same talent level yet very different results.

Yea cam newton is terrible, only threw for 4,000 yards as a rookie. You posters that naysay Cam are funny to me, he's got all the arm in the world and routinely runs defenders over. Can't wait til the panthers get a D. IMO cam doubters will look pretty foolish.

Cam is the prototype...........keep telling us the trooth about nassib and kolb while ignoring real talented qb's

How can anyone not be a bit freaked out by these comments? I can deal with physical limitations, but work ethic and leadership issues in a high QB pick can set back a franchise for years. It's terrifying. I can't think of a worse description than a combination of Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks... even if the source is imperfect, can the Bills afford to take the risk?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

It hasn't been mentioned yet so it needs to be mentioned.

Nolan Nawrocki was criticized for doing a hatchet job on Cam Newton after never speaking to Newton but consider a few things:

1) Nawrocki doesn't typically talk to the players. He talks to scouts and personnel guys. Think about that for a second…

This was my first thought. It is in EVERYONE's best interest to send the top QBs spiralling down the charts and recoup a bit of value from what have become inflated-value picks. So, if lots of scouts are not so much lying as deliberately letting slip the things they don't like about a player, to make other teams believe the player will be available later... well, I wouldn't be surprised.

How can anyone not be a bit freaked out by these comments? I can deal with physical limitations, but work ethic and leadership issues in a high QB pick can set back a franchise for years. It's terrifying. I can't think of a worse description than a combination of Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks... even if the source is imperfect, can the Bills afford to take the risk?

see earlier response.

Clearly, you're a racist for comparing players of different races. For shame.

Btw, good comparison though I think Newton is working on his Cutler qualities. For some reason, I think Culter loves being a douche.

Newton may change, but it is the case that his post Florida recruiting "bidding" was disgusting, and he was also a thief, stealing laptops despite being a pampered top recruit. It got him kicked out of Florida even though he was a blue chip player. And God knows what Auburn paid to get him. We'll probably never find out. The guy sounds like a complete d--k to me. I'm not saying he's not talented or that he won't succeed. But he's unlikable, at least in my opinion.

Edited by dave mcbride

Found this comment on Geno today. Reading this are you still wanting him to come to the Bills??

This is just a small sample of Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on Geno Smith, in their NFL Draft Preview book: Average field vision, Nonchalant field presense, has pin legs and bad pocket posture, does not command respect from his teammates, cannot inspire, Mild practice demeanor - no urgency, Interviewed poorly at the combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board, needed to be coddled in college, cannot handle hard coaching, overhyped product of the system, could drain energy from a QB room. -Nolan Nawrocki, Pro Football Weekly

This makes me NOT want him.

Thoughts?

Nolan is spot on. They had to coddle him and he always got down this last season. He isn't a leader and we don't need that in Buffalo. We need someone with some balls to grab the team and lead it to the playoffs. And I agree with Cosell who was on NFLN he has 'slow eyes'. He reads defenses way too slow and on top of that he misses wide open WR's.

I pass on him

Yea cam newton is terrible, only threw for 4,000 yards as a rookie. You posters that naysay Cam are funny to me, he's got all the arm in the world and routinely runs defenders over. Can't wait til the panthers get a D. IMO cam doubters will look pretty foolish.

Cam is the prototype...........keep telling us the trooth about nassib and kolb while ignoring real talented qb's

SCAM newton is nothing but a POS. He is over hyped and once teams figured him out they kicked his ass. He is a one read then run QB. He is a liar, a thief and just a general POS.

Cam could be great, we'll see. He does have that plaster fake-ass smile and a diva streak but who cares if he wins. He just has to learn not to lose the locker room and he'll be outstanding.

As for Geno, not buying. The better and more sophisticated a defense he played the worse his production and the outcome. He was abysmal in the Liberty Bowl against a so-so defense.

Edited by Green Lightning

Newton was a great pick and is not a flash in the pan and in time you haters will see that.

Newton is not Geno Smith.

If we ended up taking Geno SMith in the 1st everyone here would be excited and nobody can say with certainty ahead of time it wouldn't be teh best QB we took a shot on in a long time. And last I checked...yes...we are in that mode...grasp mode from now until we get a QB

Edited by SameOldBills

SCAM newton is nothing but a POS. He is over hyped and once teams figured him out they kicked his ass. He is a one read then run QB. He is a liar, a thief and just a general POS.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

This was my first thought, leadership issues.

WV tanked during the last half of the season, that concerns me quite a bit.

I am disappointed reading some of the posts, it turned into a black and white issue with some of you guys, I thought yall was bigger than that....

My question was would you still want him as a Bill ?

I don't think he will be there at 8 anyway, the Jags are the team that might grab him.

Matt Scott is the guy I want now that they got Kolb.

Exactly, because the Panthers line was beast and he had a top defense and more than 1 good WR to throw to. They were going to go 16-0 until he started lying and thieving? He owes me 5 bucks and he punched a baby.

FWIW, Same guy was killing Cam Newton

He was a BIG fan of the Maybin-ator as well.

I used to be a big fan of PFW's draft coverage but without Buschbaum their existence is pretty much pointless. You can get the same quality of evaluation a dozen other places.

Let's also remember that the teams that are spending the most time evaluating these QB prospects are also the teams that are the WORST at evaluating QB prospects.

That is why they are at the top of the draft in the first place.

In a year without a consensus top pick......they are like chickens with their heads cut-off and that's what we are seeing this year.

As evidenced by the fact that 3 of the last 5 SB winning QB's were NOT can't miss prospects (Brees, Rodgers, Flacco) it is possible to find a decent QB in a class without a Manning in it.