Fred Jackson offers some words on new staff, scheme

Beerball

#2 in all purpose yards in 2011, till he got hurt. Yet posters here seem anxious to dump him for pennies. To me Fred IS the Bills.

Right. But then he got hurt. In 2011, the Bills were the best team in the AFCE through four weeks...till they started losing.

And then Fred got hurt again in 2012. And then again.

Look, I love me some Fred, but you gotta be a little more realistic about what the 32 year old guy can and can't do.

Unless you think it should be Fred's turn more often. :bag:

Fred played hurt in 2012. He did look old and a bit slower, so we'll see what a full off season of healing has brought. I agree with most that he should see spot duty and is no longer a featured back. Still think he can contribute though.

Right. But then he got hurt. In 2011, the Bills were the best team in the AFCE through four weeks...till they started losing.

And then Fred got hurt again in 2012. And then again.

Look, I love me some Fred, but you gotta be a little more realistic about what the 32 year old guy can and can't do.

Unless you think it should be Fred's turn more often. :bag:

Basically where I sit. Fred is great, love him. But he's also been injured the past couple of years. He's also 32 years old. And he also has a case of the fumbles sometimes. I hope being the secondary back works out for him and us. Give him a little less wear and tear, and give us two productive backs. :)

Basically where I sit. Fred is great, love him. But he's also been injured the past couple of years. He's also 32 years old. And he also has a case of the fumbles sometimes. I hope being the secondary back works out for him and us. Give him a little less wear and tear, and give us two productive backs. :)

We've been doing some housework lately, and I've fired up some 2012 games to have on in the background using ye olde iPad and NFL game rewind. It's always nice to watch games with a more objective set of eyes, particularly when you already know the outcome. And make no mistake, Fred is !@#$ing good. Real !@#$ing good. I just love watching the guy play.

Unfortunately, his consistency has absolutely plummeted, the injuries, the fumbles--I wouldn't say he's 'lost a step,' but he hasn't showed he can handle the load. And Occam's Razor would suggest it's due to age. I'd like to believe that's not the case since Old Father Time is a one way street. Here's hoping...

Edited by taC giB ehT

Fred played hurt in 2012. He did look old and a bit slower, so we'll see what a full off season of healing has brought. I agree with most that he should see spot duty and is no longer a featured back. Still think he can contribute though.

To your point he is likely to be a solid role player for a few seasons if he is lucky. It all depends on whether he stays healthy.

While I'm a big fan of Fred Jackson, it's time for him to be a role player. CJ Spiller is the clear cut most talented offensive player on the field. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. The split should be 60-40 or even 75-25. That's not to suggest that Fred shouldn't get opportunities as well, but he's just not the home run threat that the team needs to win ball games. Regardless of my opinion, his attitude is great. Just do what's needed to help his quarterback. Classy attitude.

While I'm a big fan of Fred Jackson, it's time for him to be a role player. CJ Spiller is the clear cut most talented offensive player on the field. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. The split should be 60-40 or even 75-25. That's not to suggest that Fred shouldn't get opportunities as well, but he's just not the home run threat that the team needs to win ball games. Regardless of my opinion, his attitude is great. Just do what's needed to help his quarterback. Classy attitude.

70-30, 75-25 if CJ can handle it.

He's such a good football player. Does everything the position demands and does it all well.

Having said that if he falls a lot because of injury I'd like the Bills to draft Lattimore. Same type of back as Fred.

Lattimore is an ideal heir-apparent for Fred, who has 1-2 years max left in the tank, IMO. One more big injury and he may be done for good. We are in a great position to pick up Lattimore and take our time preparing him to be healthy and ready to spell CJ. Those two would give us the undisputed top RB pair in the league for years (especially if we develop some semblance of a passing threat). And he can be had late, considering his talent. We can't let this opportunity for a top player slip away.

Lattimore is an ideal heir-apparent for Fred, who has 1-2 years max left in the tank, IMO. One more big injury and he may be done for good. We are in a great position to pick up Lattimore and take our time preparing him to be healthy and ready to spell CJ. Those two would give us the undisputed top RB pair in the league for years (especially if we develop some semblance of a passing threat). And he can be had late, considering his talent. We can't let this opportunity for a top player slip away.

I hope you're not probably wrong. Well you know what I mean.

He's such a good football player. Does everything the position demands and does it all well.

Having said that if he falls a lot because of injury I'd like the Bills to draft Lattimore. Same type of back as Fred.

Except that Lattimore has to broken knees.

Except that Lattimore has to broken knees.

Which is why I wouldn't say we should pick him until 5 or 6.

There is a real risk that he will never be the player he might have been.

On the other hand after APs rehab he might be a five + year starter.

You will need to spend a pick. Lots of teams would be all over him as a UFA.

The guy had 4 fumbles in 10 games in 2012. That is simple not excusable.

I read through the post until I saw a stat I wanted to stand up for and this is the first. I like Fred. He's a tough guy who I would trust with my sister. I just hate the memories of him fumbling at the goal line. I will root for him to retire a Bill and show he and Spiller can carry the team. I just can't get past the feeling of if he fumbles again, especially at the end zone, that I will lose start losing my interest in him. I don't want to but there it is. No matter how he plays in the future it won't diminish my respect for him or his effort to succeed.

Edited by Drewgetz

I agree with many of the posters here. Lattimore would be a great pick in the 5th or 6th. He is a big gamble, but the payoff could be huge. Given a year to heal and work himself back in the game and next year to get up to speed, he would be a perfect replacement for Jackson, since the timing would be perfect for Jackson's retirement. We can dream!