Chef Jim, some advice, if a panhandler wants money.....

Just Jack

When I was in Paris I had some Russian dude come up to me and take my picture with a Polaroid camera that spits out the picture. He got all mad at me when I wouldn't buy the picture for $20. I didn't ask him to take my picture.

I had a similar experience in Hawaii. Some dude took lais out of a garbage bag and threw them on my wife and her friends necks. These looked like flowers they throw out at the end if the day. He then asked for $20. I was floored and politely took the lais off them and chucked them back at this dude.

Why don't you go set up shop in the middle of a ramp on I-280... Tell me what people think of your business.

So we've gone from an intersection to a freeway on ramp? Actually I really don't care where they set up shop. If they're collection money for the local volunteer FD they're getting all the loose change I have. Beggars? Not a !@#$ing penny.

Socialized Europe is even worse.

There are the what i call the "Stationary" beggars, who have their same spot every day, the Gypsies, the Pick Pockets, the Mimes etc.etc. They even have their kids doing it! The Pick Pockets are worse around the photo-op tourist attractions. You can't let your guard down for a minute. It takes away some from the travel opportunity/experience.

That's been standard practice in NYC for years. Every day I walk down 42d street toward Grand Central and if it's rush hours you've got 1) the guy sitting on the flattened cardboard box shouting gibberish every few minutes, 2) the woman sitting on the milk crate, and 3) the little guy holding the cup with his head bowed. Same exact spot every time. After 7pm these "homeless" are always gone. Ditto during that really cold snap in January. Of course, guy on the same block who actually works selling newspapers is there every day, rain or shine.

I remember when I went to Chicago in high school in the 90s for a school trip. There would be some panhandling scheme where these guys would hand you some random (non-religious) pamphlet, walk and talk to you, and then expect and ask for money.

It was a really odd way of panhandling, but I remember at least 5 guys trying to do it. Some would get ticked and then demand the pamphlet back if you didn't give them money.

I've always wondered if that scheme is still used anywhere. I've been back to Chicago since then and never had that happen, so maybe it was a short-lived strategy.

The latest tourist scam in Times Square is similar; guys who dress up in giant Disney costumes (like you see at Disney World), offer to take a picture with passing tots and then harrass the parents for cash.

When it comes to street bums, I always think of my Dad's story. One morning on his way into a NYC deli some bum gave him the 'I'm hungry' line. My father offered to buy him a muffin and coffee and the guy just walked away. lol

So we've gone from an intersection to a freeway on ramp? Actually I really don't care where they set up shop. If they're collection money for the local volunteer FD they're getting all the loose change I have. Beggars? Not a !@#$ing penny.

Hey, you don't like cyclists clogging up the road... But you will tolerate legalized panhandling. Go figure... ;-)

Hey, you don't like cyclists clogging up the road... But you will tolerate legalized panhandling. Go figure... ;-)

People collecting for charity are there for a good cause while cyclists who nearly run me over serve no purpose whatsoever.