Chef Jim, some advice, if a panhandler wants money.....

Just Jack

I usually say no to panhandlers asking for money because I don't know if the money is going to be used for alcohol or drugs. It is natural to have a tinge of guilt refusing people who are in such difficult situations. What I do instead is regularly contribute money to reputable organizations that run homeless shelters and tend to that segment of society. In that way I know that the money I am donating is going directly for the purpose it was intended.

I usually say no to panhandlers asking for money because I don't know if the money is going to be used for alcohol or drugs. It is natural to have a tinge of guilt refusing people who are in such difficult situations. What I do instead is regularly contribute money to reputable organizations that run homeless shelters and tend to that segment of society. In that way I know that the money I am donating is going directly for the purpose it was intended.

I don't often give, but if I do.... I'm not torn up at night if the guy buys a beer instead of an apple. I'm not going to change his life, so if the beer makes him happy - have at it.

If a panhandler asks you for money, you should be legally be allowed to take one free shot at them, be it fists, 2x4, tire iron, etc. !@#$ing scum of the earth.

What if you had an Iraqui or Afgan War Vet brother who had mental health and adjustment issues and he lived on the street? How would you feel if others exhibited the behavior and attitude toward him that you stated in your post?

What if you had an Iraqui or Afgan War Vet brother who had mental health and adjustment issues and he lived on the street? How would you feel if others exhibited the behavior and attitude toward him that you stated in your post?

There are plenty of places he can get help instead of begging.

Socialized Europe is even worse.

There are the what i call the "Stationary" beggars, who have their same spot every day, the Gypsies, the Pick Pockets, the Mimes etc.etc. They even have their kids doing it! The Pick Pockets are worse around the photo-op tourist attractions. You can't let your guard down for a minute. It takes away some from the travel opportunity/experience.

In Ireland, many of the Church Parking Lots have horizontal bars installed anout 7' above the entry drives, to keep the Gypsies "camper" type trucks out. If they could enter, they wouldn't leave!

There are the what i call the "Stationary" beggars, who have their same spot every day, the Gypsies, the Pick Pockets, the Mimes etc.etc. They even have their kids doing it! The Pick Pockets are worse around the photo-op tourist attractions. You can't let your guard down for a minute. It takes away some from the travel opportunity/experience.

When I was in Hobart, Tasmania, coming out of a store I noticed someone seemed to be following me and the ex. We turned a few corners and sure enough he kept right with us. So remembering what I had read somewhere, I whisper to the ex that we're going to stop and look in the windows of the next store. We stop, turn, and look, and so does the guy behind us. Except he stopped between two stores, and was staring at a blank wall. I gave him a look and he knew I was onto him, so turned and went away.

If a panhandler asks you for money, you should be legally be allowed to take one free shot at them, be it fists, 2x4, tire iron, etc. !@#$ing scum of the earth.

Seems a lot are getting into the act of panhandling. Must be all scum of the earth wanting pennies from people???

What do they call organizations like the firefighters that stand in the middle of an intersection with a boot collecting coins from drivers... Besides being ridculously dangerous, I guess they call that okay?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Seems a lot are getting into the act of panhandling. Must be all scum of the earth wanting pennies from people???

What do they call organizations like the firefighters that stand in the middle of an intersection with a boot collecting coins from drivers... Besides being ridculously dangerous, I guess they call that okay?

Really, really?!?!? You're equating charity to panhandling. WTF dude.

So you think this

salvation-army-donation-station.jpg

Is the same as this

300px-Panhandler.jpg

So you hate firefighters?

So you hate firefighters?

No.. Not at all, I just hate when they stand in the middle of the road and panhandle. It isn't charity when they are in the middle of an intersection WHERE you don't expect people to be standing. Collect for charity in front of a store, NOT the middle of a road where somebody can get hit!

Really, really?!?!? You're equating charity to panhandling. WTF dude.

So you think this

salvation-army-donation-station.jpg

Do either pictures look like the people are panhandling in the middle of road/intersection? Find me better pictures and I will give you the answer you are looking for.

Is the same as this

300px-Panhandler.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

No.. Not at all, I just hate when they stand in the middle of the road and panhandle. It isn't charity when they are in the middle of an intersection WHERE you don't expect people to be standing. Collect for charity in front of a store, NOT the middle of a road where somebody can get hit!

So where they stand determines whether it's charity or panhandling. Oooookay. :rolleyes:

In Ireland, many of the Church Parking Lots have horizontal bars installed anout 7' above the entry drives, to keep the Gypsies "camper" type trucks out. If they could enter, they wouldn't leave!

The Trevi fountain in Rome is notorious for pickpockets. The older ones wave scarves in front of your face while they swarm you like flies. The younger ones try to get behind you and grab your wallet. Been there. Saw that.

I remember when I went to Chicago in high school in the 90s for a school trip. There would be some panhandling scheme where these guys would hand you some random (non-religious) pamphlet, walk and talk to you, and then expect and ask for money.

It was a really odd way of panhandling, but I remember at least 5 guys trying to do it. Some would get ticked and then demand the pamphlet back if you didn't give them money.

I've always wondered if that scheme is still used anywhere. I've been back to Chicago since then and never had that happen, so maybe it was a short-lived strategy.

I remember when I went to Chicago in high school in the 90s for a school trip. There would be some panhandling scheme where these guys would hand you some random (non-religious) pamphlet, walk and talk to you, and then expect and ask for money.

It was a really odd way of panhandling, but I remember at least 5 guys trying to do it. Some would get ticked and then demand the pamphlet back if you didn't give them money.

I've always wondered if that scheme is still used anywhere. I've been back to Chicago since then and never had that happen, so maybe it was a short-lived strategy.

When I was in Paris I had some Russian dude come up to me and take my picture with a Polaroid camera that spits out the picture. He got all mad at me when I wouldn't buy the picture for $20. I didn't ask him to take my picture.