I'm ashamed to be a Republican tonight.

The bombings in Japan did little to change the course of the war?

I cant WAIT to hear the explanation on THIS one.

204446[/snapback]

The fundamental basis for the Japanese surrender was the severe economic dislocation caused by the blocade and the loss of Manchuria to the Soviets in about two weeks. The Japanese never feared the US...but they were scared shitless of the Russians, and felt reasonably secure as long as they had territory under their control in China. Once the Russians threatened that...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated. The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air. One good thing about the bomb is that its use impressed the Soviet Union and halted the war quickly enough that the USSR did not demand joint occupation of Japan.

I don't know if that accurately portrays the evolution of an idea or principle...but it pretty well encapsulates the evolution of your average thread here...  :D

216363[/snapback]

Only problem with the cartoon is it's naiive.

For anyone to think that freedom can't be defended with less than savory means, I offer the example of the OSS, or the US allying with the Mafia to remove Mussolini from Sicily, etc...etc...

Only problem with the cartoon is it's naiive.

For anyone to think that freedom can't be defended with less than savory means, I offer the example of the OSS, or the US allying with the Mafia to remove Mussolini from Sicily, etc...etc...

216609[/snapback]

Other problems: It's not funny, it's way over the top, and it makes use of a pair of strawmen to make it's point.

So it's par for the course for Tom Tomorrow.