Mingo versus Jordan Analysis (with clips)

It's like choosing between ice cream and bacon...what I'd really like is both at the same time.

I was thinking something similar.

I will skip appetizers cocktails and dessert and have each of the two main courses !

Great article and thanks for the post brother!!

i pick Mingo

Just say no to Mingo!! Can't get off blocks, way more athletic ability than production, disappears for long stretches and is nonexistent vs. the run. He is Maybin 2.0 and I have seen every college game that he has ever played. I would be more surprised if he was good than a complete bust.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just say no to Mingo!! Can't get off blocks, way more athletic ability than production, disappears for long stretches and is nonexistent vs. the run. He is Maybin 2.0 and I have seen every college game that he has ever played. I would be more surprised if he was good than a complete bust.

Did you read the article

Agreed 100% and likewise have seen just about every snap as well

I did and get LSU shoved in my face all fall. There is nothing that appeals to me about him. I wouldn't take Mingo at 41.

I only skimmed the article, but his lack of production, his huge questions on work ethic.... It's all around unappealing. I get the feeling he's used to getting by on natural gifts (and even then, not dominating but being good enough for the praise he wants)... And the nfl is about to smack him hard.

The opening of the piece is poorly written in that it casts the players as Player A vs Player B.

It's not clear to me that the lens used by the writer is relevant to the actual discussion.

They are both physical freaks though.

I only skimmed the article, but his lack of production, his huge questions on work ethic.... It's all around unappealing. I get the feeling he's used to getting by on natural gifts (and even then, not dominating but being good enough for the praise he wants)... And the nfl is about to smack him hard.

I thought it was Mingo's partner in crime, Sam Montgomery who said that the two didn't always try their hardest.

BTW, what a stupid thing to say… and to say it for someone else is even stupider.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The opening of the piece is poorly written in that it casts the players as Player A vs Player B.

It's not clear to me that the lens used by the writer is relevant to the actual discussion.

They are both physical freaks though.

I thought it was Mingo's partner in crime, Sam Montgomery who said that the two didn't always try their hardest.

BTW, what a stupid thing to say… and to say it about someone else is even stupider.

Yup. It was him. It was stupid.

If you can't get motivated in what amounted to a contract year for them, what will he do with a top ten contract telling him it was good enough.

Edited by NoSaint

Jordan reminds me of the ghost of Maybin.Sticklike and gets ate up when tackles get their hands on him. This is what I`ve seen on sports shows.

I don't care too much for him either but certainly over Mingo. That may not be saying much because I dislike Mingo because I have seen a lot of him. I don't dislike Jordan as much but I am not as familiar with him.

I actually prefer Jarvis Jones because I think that production translates to a certain extent. He was a GREAT pass rusher in the SEC. That makes me think that he will be at least a good pass rusher in the NFL. Who knows some people live up to their potential others don't. I would be really, really surprised Mingo is a good NFL player.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't care too much for him either but certainly over Mingo. That may not be saying much because I dislike Mingo because I have seen a lot of him. I don't dislike Jordan as much but I am not as familiar with him.

I actually prefer Jarvis Jones because I think that production translates to a certain extent. He was a GREAT pass rusher in the SEC. That makes me think that he will be at least a good pass rusher in the NFL. Who knows some people live up to their potential others don't. I would be really, really surprised Mingo is a good NFL player.

Of the 3 I likewise vote jones but he worries me a lot too. I didnt see near as much of Jordan though so my opinion on him is likewise questionable

I understand the concerns about both of these players.

The thing about both of them goes back to a theme that I've been reading a lot about the approach to player evaluation this draft season:

Scouts are looking at a player's positives and figuring out what he can do and what he brings to the table.

It's kind of like saying that you're ignoring the player's negatives. This "philosophy" has been expressed quite a bit in the QB debate. I don't necessarily agree with it but I understand it. You look at a player and see how he fits into your system or what you would like to do.

Both of these guys are a bit unconventional in that neither of them have a power aspect to their game like DeMarcus Ware or JPP or players like that.

But both of them are truly freakish athletes (unlike Maybin who was slow when he gained weight, and weak whether he was heavy or light). Teams look at these guys as weapons to be unleashed upon offenses.

While neither of them have quite the nice balance of speed, quickness, and power evidenced in the play of guys like Von Miller and Aldon Smith, they are still phenomenal athletes that if used correctly could make huge impacts. Jordan in particular has the potential to be a completely unique defender, sacking Brady on one play and blanketing Gronkowski on the next one.

Both of these guys are a bit low floor/high ceiling players.

Perhaps neither of them should be judged as one would conventionally judge a player.

Jordan most definitely over mingo. If his name was Larry Williams instead of Barkevious Mingo, no one here would want him in the 1st. He's a physical specimen for sure, but worth #8? Please say no. I might rather have Jaimie Collins over Mingo. I want production, not stopwatch time.

I'd be happy with Jordan.