Any excel gurus?

The Big Cat

I could probably take to googles for this, but I don't know if my language is precise enough.

I want to set up some conditional formulas in excel that relate column to column so that:

IF column a = THEN column b =

Is this possible text to number, and can it be done visa versa?

Here's the application:

For billing, we have client codes and client abbreviations for our time sheets, each in their own side-by-side columns. Rather consult ye-olde code guide very Friday while I'm finalizing my sheet, I'd love to be able to type in the code and have the abbreviation populate or visa versa.

Possible?

I could probably take to googles for this, but I don't know if my language is precise enough.

I want to set up some conditional formulas in excel that relate column to column so that:

Here's the application:

For billing, we have client codes and client abbreviations for our time sheets, each in their own side-by-side columns. Rather consult ye-olde code guide very Friday while I'm finalizing my sheet, I'd love to be able to type in the code and have the abbreviation populate or visa versa.

Possible?

Sounds like you could use the vlookup function. This function would search a specified table for a specified value and return data from another column. You would just need to copy the mapping (client code to abbreviation and vice versa) to another sheet in the workbook, or I think you can actually look up data in another workbook.

Here's the application:

Possible?

im pretty certain its possible if im understanding it correctly, but its been long enough since ive done similar that i couldnt guide the way confidently. i know thats not much help, but atleast you might appreciate knowing theres a positive answer at the end of the search.

Here's the application:

Possible?

How many customer codes do you have, you may do a text box, simply select from a list to do your entry. Otherwise, if it is a small number of codes, as said before, create a table and use vlookup. Another solution is to create a calculation that changes the entry into a string.

Sounds like you could use the vlookup function. This function would search a specified table for a specified value and return data from another column. You would just need to copy the mapping (client code to abbreviation and vice versa) to another sheet in the workbook, or I think you can actually look up data in another workbook.

How many customer codes do you have, you may do a text box, simply select from a list to do your entry. Otherwise, if it is a small number of codes, as said before, create a table and use vlookup. Another solution is to create a calculation that changes the entry into a string.

Thank you for giving me a more specific tree to sniff out, I'll keep you guys posted!

And since the client code data already exists in a spreadsheet, yes, I can copy/paste that into a separate worksheet.

that's what i was thinking....v-lookup..i am pretty savvy at excel, but for the life of me i cannot deal with vlookups...i'd rather build an access query, i just can't grasp v-lookups...