RIP Margaret Thatcher

http://www.dailymail...ns-streets.html

Unemployed Julian Styles, 58, who was made redundant from his factory job in 1984, said: ‘I’ve been waiting for that witch to die for 30 years.

‘Tonight is party time. I’m drinking one drink for every year I’ve been out of work.’

This guy has been out of work for 30 years?

Edited by meazza

Enough people hate Thatcher enough to make it top 10, possibly even number 1. Many of those buying did not live through the Thatcher years (the street parties had plenty (in fact it looked a large majority) of people in their early 20s/teens).

There were elements of her premiership/policies/personality which I disliked (but there again I do not vote for people I like personally, I try to vote for those who I think will run the country best). Never voted for her myself (too young/out of the country) but probably would have done if I had been able.

She gets blamed for a lot of things in the UK, while completely ignoring the situation here when she took over.

For example, the collapse of industry and the rise in unemployment. Partly deserved as her macroeconomic policies did keep the £ strong, making it hard to compete. But there again UK industry was churning out substandard product that was unrelible, ugly, expensive and often not delivered on time. And was already collapsing when she took over.

Of course when she took over we had union leaders who (accurately) boasted they could overthrow governments (and had done), by going on strikes that paralysed the country (despite not having to hold ballots on strike action...). The IMF had to bail us out because the government was broke. Electricity power was unreliable - at times it was only on one hour a day. Sugar was rationed at times. No bread on shelves (baker strike), no rubbish collected (strikes), no bodies buried (more strikes!). Inflation was about 30%. There was even talk of a bloody military coup to overthrow the Labour Government a few years earlier. The UK was getting poorer all the time, by the end of Thatchers time in power this sorry state had been largely reversed.

my brit in-laws say the same things. funny thing though, while they generally greatly liked thatcher, most of them would be considered quite liberal in the current US political environment. liberal and conservative are definitely relative terms.

Galloway is very much a pro-Muslim MP in the UK. He was against the war (and I think both wars) vs Saddam (which I do not hold against him) however he hobnobbed with Saddam's bunch and considers himself a close personal friend of Tariq Aziz (I think). He is pretty repulsive in my mind and represents the old, hard left in the UK.

Not unknown among British MPs. The Labour party traditionally was the party of the unions and Galloway was a Labour MP. (Not any longer). They still have a lot of influence over Labour, but nowhere near as much as they used to (which amounted to almost total control).

I'm aware of Galloway's history. He also walked out of a debate at a college campus because he was to debate with an Israeli student on how to resolve the two state solution.

Just felt like posting his garbage here.

Another proud day for Americans.....................

White House snub to Thatcher: Obama won't send envoy

Friends and allies of Baroness Thatcher expressed ‘surprise and disappointment’ last night as it emerged President Obama is not planning to send any serving member of his administration to her funeral.

Whitehall sources have revealed that the U.S. delegation at tomorrow’s service in St Paul’s Cathedral will be led by two Reagan era secretaries of state: James Baker and George Shultz.

Though President Obama himself had not been expected to attend, there had been speculation that he would be represented either by Vice President Joe Biden or wife Michelle.

The Queen’s decision to attend Lady Thatcher’s funeral has effectively elevated it to a state occasion unprecedented for a political figure in Britain since the death of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965.

http://www.dailymail...Reagan-era.html

Edited by B-Man

This is not a left or right thing. This is just embarrassing for all Americans.

Too bad he won't be called out for it (since all the news networks are all-Boston-all-the-time now). Because it would be awesomely embarrassing to hear him blame sequestration and the Republicans for not being able to send anyone overseas.

Because it would be awesomely embarrassing to hear him blame sequestration and the Republicans for not being able to send anyone overseas.

Explanation (?)

And why? Obama and Biden are too busy pushing gun control, according to the US embassy:

But a US embassy spokesman confirmed that no serving member of his administration would be present to pay their last respects, citing a busy week in US domestic politics.

‘This is a hugely significant week in terms of US domestic politics,’ a spokesman added.

He said that both the First Lady and the Vice President were ‘the President’s point people on gun control’, adding: ‘This is a week when there is a lot of movement on Capitol Hill on gun control issues.’

Well, Kerry isn’t part of that, is he? (Oh, wait ….) They’re too busy to pay respects to someone who stood by America as a stalwart partner in the latter years of the Cold War, when it might have been easier for her to keep her distance. Shameful. And it’s not being ignored in the UK, either:

Former defence secretary Dr Liam Fox, Lady Thatcher’s closest ally in modern-day politics, said: ‘I think it would be both surprising and disappointing if after President Obama’s fulsome tribute to Lady Thatcher, the American administration did not send a senior serving member to represent them.’

Sir Gerald Howarth, chairman of the Thatcherite Conservative Way Forward group of MPs and peers, said: ‘The bonds forged between the UK and the US through Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher was instrumental in ending the Cold War and liberating millions of people.

‘That the present administration feels unable to be represented as the world marks the extraordinary contribution Margaret Thatcher made will be a source of disappointment to those who served with her in that great endeavour.’

Update: Just as a reminder, Congress decides separately on delegations to events such as this. I’d expect to see both the House and Senate send small delegations to the funeral.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) today announced he will send a delegation to London this week to represent the U.S. House of Representatives at the funeral of Baroness Margaret Thatcher, former prime minister of the United Kingdom. The delegation will be led by Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN).

Margaret Thatcher was one of the greatest champions freedom has ever known, and her funeral gives Americans and friends around the world an opportunity to pay final respects
,” Boehner said. “
I’m pleased that Congressman Blackburn will lead a House delegation to Baroness Thatcher’s funeral to communicate our prayers and condolences to her family and the British people.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/16/no-white-house-envoy-to-thatcher-funeral/