Kinderkid banned from school because of disruptive

Beerball

Yup, cause nothing improves education like the local tax base having to fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars to some idiot redneck.

You make a good point, and I agree that my initial reaction was over the top. IMO, however, there should be some consequences/corrective action taken against the individual who was responsible for making this decision. Being suspended from a public school for having a mohawk haircut? Trust me, this same consequence would not be handed down to a student whose parent was an attorney (for example) and not some "idiot redneck."

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

You make a good point, and I agree that my initial reaction was over the top. IMO, however, there should be some consequences/corrective action taken against the individual who was responsible for making this decision. Being suspended from a public school for having a mohawk haircut? Trust me, this same consequence would not be handed down to a student whose parent was an attorney (for example) and not some "idiot redneck."

I believe it's "suspended from school... unless they simply cut his hair". So again, it comes back to the parents. The same ones who made the initial decision to give him that haircut. They could've simply spent 5 minutes with the clippers out and this would have been nothing. Instead they ran to the media and now it's a "thing". The school has to have the power to make calls on disruptive dress, and when they use it the parents should respect it.

Once again, like almost every other issue facing education, it comes down to the parents.

I believe it's "suspended from school... unless they simply cut his hair". So again, it comes back to the parents. The same ones who made the initial decision to give him that haircut. They could've simply spent 5 minutes with the clippers out and this would have been nothing. Instead they ran to the media and now it's a "thing". The school has to have the power to make calls on disruptive dress, and when they use it the parents should respect it.

Once again, like almost every other issue facing education, it comes down to the parents.

It's like...a mohawk haircut dude! I still don't get what the big deal is here. Spend a few days sitting in a kindergarten or first grade classroom, and maybe you will understand where I'm coming from. A mohawk haircut, disruptive to the extent that the kid needed to be removed from school? Sheesh!! That's it...I'm pulling out my clippers when I get home and giving my son a mohawk....and I'm going to dye it bright green!!! F the man!! haha

It's like...a mohawk haircut dude! I still don't get what the big deal is here. Spend a few days sitting in a kindergarten or first grade classroom, and maybe you will understand where I'm coming from. A mohawk haircut, disruptive to the extent that the kid needed to be removed from school? Sheesh!! That's it...I'm pulling out my clippers when I get home and giving my son a mohawk....and I'm going to dye it bright green!!! F the man!! haha

My first student teaching assignment was a kindergarten class of about 25 kids in Dunkirk (so about 1/3 didnt even speak English), so Im pretty well versed, thanks. :thumbsup:

Like I said in my first post, I did something similar when I was in 1st grade. Had a disruptive haircut and got sent home to fix it. Now if my parents protested to protect their "sweet, innocent, special, unique angel" for no reason, then it may have turned into a bigger deal. But my parents arent self-centered idiots.

The last sentence sums it up: "Ethan didn’t go to school Friday, but will return to class Monday with a shaved head, Castle said."

Done. There was no need for this to be a story. Whether it was a mohawk, or a helmet that lights up, or whatever, it doesnt matter. It was causing a disturbance and the school asked the family to remove it. It's done right there. Not a big deal either way.

Edited by DrDareustein

My first student teaching assignment was a kindergarten class of about 25 kids in Dunkirk (so about 1/3 didnt even speak English), so Im pretty well versed, thanks. :thumbsup:

SDS, this man here's prime moderator material...

Culturally, young boy's (and even males in general) hair was historically kept long for the early part of American history. When did that change? Oh! whatever did they do when the first lad strolled in with a crew cut? Really, seeing this child's haircut, is it really that much different than a "high and tight?" Heck soldiers wear them, even up to three inches long on top and clean and tight on the sides. Is this child's cut really that extreme? Like I said, he isn't sporting a traditional mohawk that is over 3 inches:

High and Tight: http://farm5.static...._401b23352c.jpg

Traditonal Mohawk: http://cezl.files.wo...hawk-indian.jpg

This kid: http://i.imgur.com/xFrVFul.jpg

86 the gel/mousse, push it down and youngin' Ethan has a "high and tight." Tell the rest of the kids to simmer down, he's just wearing what his heros wear...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Like I said in my first post, I did something similar when I was in 1st grade. Had a disruptive haircut and got sent home to fix it. Now if my parents protested to protect their "sweet, innocent, special, unique angel" for no reason, then it may have turned into a bigger deal. But my parents arent self-centered idiots.

The last sentence sums it up: "Ethan didn’t go to school Friday, but will return to class Monday with a shaved head, Castle said."

Done. There was no need for this to be a story. Whether it was a mohawk, or a helmet that lights up, or whatever, it doesnt matter. It was causing a disturbance and the school asked the family to remove it. It's done right there. Not a big deal either way.

I switched out of Education my sophomore year, so I dont have the Special Ed experience that would be required.

Well, clearly you're an expert in the area of educational law, policy and ethics. I suppose I will need to defer to your expertise in this matter Dr. "student teacher" dareustein, as you are so well-versed :thumbsup:

Haha....I was pretty "impaired" when I wrote that....I really didn't mean to come across like such a d**k :lol: Sorry, mohawks and school administrators are two topics that get me fired up.

As evidenced by my professional use of smilies, you should know that no offense was taken. :beer: :beer:

See, that's you and me being buds over a couple cold ones... ha!

“They seen his hair like it was. All the little kids were going over and feeling on it and everything,” Castle said.

There's your answer...

:lol: As if we needed more evidence that this was the result of of prole parenting.