Kinderkid banned from school because of disruptive

Beerball

that's my take on it too...i think the school is being a bit ridiculous with their policy, but why do parents do that? to be pals to their kids, to be cool to show them how 'wild' they are...i had neighbors that used to do that to their kid, 2nd grade....just asanine on the parents part....

what kind of dumbass parent gives a kindergarden kid this haircut?

Sounds like a teacher not worth their salt that cant control 5 year olds? Wait until there is a dog running around in the school yard, kids will be glued to the windows. Or some other distraction that crops up. Teacher needs to get some skills in class room management.

Sounds like a teacher not worth their salt that cant control 5 year olds? Wait until there is a dog running around in the school yard, kids will be glued to the windows. Or some other distraction that crops up. Teacher needs to get some skills in class room management.

How long have you been a teacher?

that's my take on it too...i think the school is being a bit ridiculous with their policy, but why do parents do that? to be pals to their kids, to be cool to show them how 'wild' they are...i had neighbors that used to do that to their kid, 2nd grade....just asanine on the parents part....

I think youre going a little overboard. It's cute and parents have always kept up with recent styles for their kids. Including longer hair for boys in the 70s/80s, etc.

I dont have an issue with the parents giving the kid that haircut, other than it was pretty poorly done. And I can understand that if it causes a distraction amongst the other 30(?) kids in the class, then it needs to go.

I can even relate to this in a way. Back in 1st grade, while on the bus to school one morning, my friend and I found that if we rubbed our hands in circles on our heads that it would make our hair stick up all crazy. We thought it was hilarious... and so did the rest of the class when we walked in. For a group of 6 year olds, it was just too much. To the point that we ended up having to be sent home for the day just so the teacher could teach. And she was a great teacher that always had control of the class.

Pretty much the same deal here.

like my youngest Killian? :lol: ...i should have named him D'Killian...those apostrophed names are awesome...i always wanted to substitute my 'periods' for 'apostrophes'

P'J' is way cooler than P.J.

Even worse is the parent who gives "unique" first names to their kids so they will stand out above the others.

what kind of dumbass parent gives a kindergarden kid this haircut?

I've been an educator for 8 years, and have seen these fads come and go. I see kids with mohawks running around all the time. If this kid's haircut is the worst of the teacher's problems, and it is so distracting that it is disrupting the learning of the other students, then she shouldn't be a teacher. This story is completely absurd. I hope the parents sue the crap out of this school district.

“They seen his hair like it was. All the little kids were going over and feeling on it and everything,” Castle said.

There's your answer...

Ha! That quote stuck out to me as well. Glad others noticed.

I've been an educator for 8 years, and have seen these fads come and go. I see kids with mohawks running around all the time. If this kid's haircut is the worst of the teacher's problems, and it is so distracting that it is disrupting the learning of the other students, then she shouldn't be a teacher. This story is completely absurd. I hope the parents sue the crap out of this school district.

Im sure other kids have even had mohawks/fauxhawks at that school. The problem is, in this one case, the 5 year olds most likely became fixated on it, and that was that. Once they get stuck on something that is right in the room and isnt going away, it's tough to reel them all back in.

No need to further the already over-litigious generation. Just trim it down into a flat top or buzzcut and send him back to school. No need to make a huge deal over it as if this child's "rights" have somehow been violated.

Edited by DrDareustein

Exactly. I mean come on... It is ridiculous (the hair cut). You are spot on about these fads. Yeah again, stupid cut but, pretty conservative as mohawks go... It isn't like a Glen Plake (skier) mohawk (which I THINK is the traditional mohawk)... So, the kid gets a crew cut/flat top or does this kinda mohawk. Big deal... Tell the rest of the rug rats to simmer down or they are riding the pine in front of the principal's office...

This was a public school, right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think youre going a little overboard. It's cute and parents have always kept up with recent styles for their kids. Including longer hair for boys in the 70s/80s, etc.

I dont have an issue with the parents giving the kid that haircut, other than it was pretty poorly done. And I can understand that if it causes a distraction amongst the other 30(?) kids in the class, then it needs to go.

I can even relate to this in a way. Back in 1st grade, while on the bus to school one morning, my friend and I found that if we rubbed our hands in circles on our heads that it would make our hair stick up all crazy. We thought it was hilarious... and so did the rest of the class when we walked in. For a group of 6 year olds, it was just too much. To the point that we ended up having to be sent home for the day just so the teacher could teach. And she was a great teacher that always had control of the class.

Pretty much the same deal here.

Your rebelliousness explained ....

Im sure other kids have even had mohawks/fauxhawks at that school. The problem is, in this one case, the 5 year olds most likely became fixated on it, and that was that. Once they get stuck on something that is right in the room and isnt going away, it's tough to reel them all back in.

No need to further the already over-litigious generation. Just trim it down into a flat top or buzzcut and send him back to school. No need to make a huge deal over it as if this child's "rights" have somehow been violated.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about this one. There is absolutely no reason why this student should have been denied his federally mandated right to a free and appropriate public education (even for a couple of days) just because he had a mohawk haircut. Again, I am in classrooms every single day, and I regularly witness student behavior that is far more disruptive than a silly haircut. If the teacher's classroom management skills were so poor that they were unable to control their class, then they should have been the one to receive some sort of corrective action.

I tend to agree with the "over-litigious generation" sentiment, but god help these school officials if this were my child. The administrator who made the decision to imposed this disciplinary action would have hell to pay. Fortunate for them, it sounds like this parent does not know their rights, and does not have the resources to advocate for their child.

Exactly. I mean come on... It is ridiculous (the hair cut). You are spot on about these fads. Yeah again, stupid cut but, pretty conservative as mohawks go... It isn't like a Glen Plake (skier) mohawk (which I THINK is the traditional mohawk)... So, the kid gets a crew cut/flat top or does this kinda mohawk. Big deal... Tell the rest of the rug rats to simmer down or they are riding the pine in front of the principal's office...

This was a public school, right?

Exactly...I mean I could see if the kid has a penis shaved into the side of his head or something of that nature, but really, a mohawk? You have got to be freakin kidding me!!

The haircut deal is maybe a thirty minute issue. The teacher has to deal with it in a way so as to not permit disruption of the learners in the classroom. At most, the teacher may call his parents and discuss other students reaction to their child's coiffure and notify the principal to simply be alert to possibility of reactions of others. Thirty-five years in public education in positions ranging from high school teacher to Superintendent of Schools tells me this issue will only become as large as the teacher permits--ignore and it'll go away ASAP.

The haircut deal is maybe a thirty minute issue. The teacher has to deal with it in a way so as to not permit disruption of the learners in the classroom. At most, the teacher may call his parents and discuss other students reaction to their child's coiffure and notify the principal to simply be alert to possibility of reactions of others. Thirty-five years in public education in positions ranging from high school teacher to Superintendent of Schools tells me this issue will only become as large as the teacher permits--ignore and it'll go away ASAP.

Totally agree... What makes that cut (@ least from what seen) any different than a buzz or flat top... It does look dumber...

They said: coiffure! He he.

FWIW, hope they don't use that term to describe the kid's doo... They might be confused... ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yup, cause nothing improves education like the local tax base having to fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars to some idiot redneck.