Cornelius Washington - LB/DE - Georgia

I'm really intrigued by this guy. I don't know how many of you are familiar with him, but when I was re-watching the Georgia-LSU game a month ago to get a good look at Jarvis Jones, this guy kept popping off the screen at me. He was very disruptive in that game, and it made me follow him a bit more closely through the combine and pro day process.

First thing to know about him is that he didn't get much playing time at Georgia, and was never a full time starter. Instead, he was used as a situational pass rusher, and also filled in as a 5-technique end in their 3-4. This, in my estimation, was done simply to get him on the field, as he's definitely not a fit for 5-tech in the NFL; he's much too small.

He is extremely fast, aggressive, and powerful off the line. He shows great pursuit and doesn't quit on plays. When he gets to the ball carrier, he hits hard and brings them down. Have a look at these highlights from the LSU game to see what I'm talking about.

LSU Highlights

The knocks on him are that he hasn't been a full-time starter, doesn't possess a strong repertoire of pass rushing moves, and hasn't been asked to play in coverage...in my opinion, those are all things that can be fixed.

Now, for the measurables (try not to drool):

6'4" with 34" arms, 265 lbs, 4.55 sec in the 40, 36 bench press reps @ 225 lbs, 39" vertical, 10'8" broad jump

I'd be all over this guy with a 4th round pick...thoughts?

We could have the first-ever 2-Cornelius draft: Tank Carnelius Crradine and Cornelius Washington. Love the guy. #1 in bench press among DE's (36), so he'd have a bull rush and seal the edge well, a 39 vert #1 in the forty so he'd be able to cover for Pettine, tied for #1 in broad jump and pretty good bench so he has explosion factor, and made 17 tackles in 6 starts in 2011, as well as 6 TFL, 5 sk, and 29 QB pressures. He falls due to 10-2011 arrest driving 92 in a 55. So he's a rusher!

Honestly, I have never seen him play but watching the combine the guy was an absolute beast. Don't know how well he is on the field but I read some reviews and analysis of him after the combine performance and I kept thinking to myself "How is this guy a 4th round pick"?

We could have the first-ever 2-Cornelius draft: Tank Carnelius Crradine and Cornelius Washington. Love the guy. #1 in bench press among DE's (36), so he'd have a bull rush and seal the edge well, a 39 vert #1 in the forty so he'd be able to cover for Pettine, tied for #1 in broad jump and pretty good bench so he has explosion factor, and made 17 tackles in 6 starts in 2011, as well as 6 TFL, 5 sk, and 29 QB pressures. He falls due to 10-2011 arrest driving 92 in a 55. So he's a rusher!

I don't know Astro...at the rate Carradine's stock is rising, they'd need to pick him at 8 if they want him...I don't see how he falls past the gauntlet of pass-rusher needy teams in the 18-24 range (Dal, NYG, Chi, Cin, Ind), and then coasts by Denver and Atlanta at the end of round 1.

Even if he did, you're still looking at Jax, Phi, NYJ, and Ten ahead of Buffalo in round 2.

Honestly, I have never seen him play but watching the combine the guy was an absolute beast. Don't know how well he is on the field but I read some reviews and analysis of him after the combine performance and I kept thinking to myself "How is this guy a 4th round pick"?

He really didn't play a ton at Georgia...situational player who was often put out of position. That LSU game was one of the better I've seen from any defensive player this year, however...

I get most of my prospect info from Walterfootball, because they have such an extensive list of players, by group, with measurables listed, and with an estimate of which round they'd fall into. They have Washington listed as have had run a 4.99 forty, and as going in the 3rd or 4th round. I would have to guess that is why he's listed as likely to last until those rounds - if he ran a 4.55 forty, that would likely push him into round 2.

BTW - I love this draft class for Buffalo!!! - this class is so deep Walterfootball had him ranked 13th for OLB's! That means, in the bottom of round 1 through the top of round 3 there will be guys like: Chase Thomas, Sio Moore, Jamie Collins, Corey Lemonier, Alex Okafor, Demontre Moore, and Bjoern Werner available. That's a pretty sweet group of talent, and that doesn't even cover the mid to late round guys, or sleepers, of which there are also a bunch.