Chris Spielman: A Football Life

Anyone know if Spielman's Catholic? Because the way a lot of you are talking, the new Pope ought to put him up for sainthood. The way I remember it was that instead of moving his wife to Buffalo, where she could have received treatment at the world-renowned Roswell Park, he chose to keep her in Ohio. That led to him "commuting" in for games for awhile.

Around here, it's common to read posts about which players should be cut to save money or which guys are "bums" taking up roster space. Funny how no one seems to remember the way Speilman grabbed a paycheck every week, took up a roster spot, spent his weekdays in Ohio and overall hurt the team. We don't know if bringing his wife to Roswell Park would have saved her life. But we do know he could have properly done his job and given his wife top-shelf treatment if he had. So while I'm sympathetic about his loss, I'm not quite ready to have a stained-glass window of him installed at St. Joe's Cathedral.

Anyone know if Spielman's Catholic? Because the way a lot of you are talking, the new Pope ought to put him up for sainthood. The way I remember it was that instead of moving his wife to Buffalo, where she could have received treatment at the world-renowned Roswell Park, he chose to keep her in Ohio. That led to him "commuting" in for games for awhile.

Around here, it's common to read posts about which players should be cut to save money or which guys are "bums" taking up roster space. Funny how no one seems to remember the way Speilman grabbed a paycheck every week, took up a roster spot, spent his weekdays in Ohio and overall hurt the team. We don't know if bringing his wife to Roswell Park would have saved her life. But we do know he could have properly done his job and given his wife top-shelf treatment if he had. So while I'm sympathetic about his loss, I'm not quite ready to have a stained-glass window of him installed at St. Joe's Cathedral.

Well, you obviously didnt watch the show that gave the facts and whole story. And now you just look stupid. Congrats.

Great analogy.

Why Nobis is not in the HOF is simply because he played for terrible Falcons teams. He was every bit as good as many of the other great LBs from the 60's.

If they can keep guys out of the hall of fame for questionable off field things, you should put some in for just the opposite. And Spielman had very good numbers too.

Only 5 years until Kelsay is in!

Yungmack, you're way off on this one.

The one season that Spielman was healthy in 1996, he was outstanding. That year he set a team record with 206 tackles and while that's only a statistic, anyone who watched him play could appreciate what a great player he was.

He only played in 8 games the following season after injuring his neck and requiring spinal surgery.

As a player Spielman never hurt the Bills and the opposite is true, he was an integral part of the team until his injury.

As for Roswell Park, while it's a fine cancer hospital it has consistently been ranked 40th to 50th in the United States in oncology (cancer treatment).

I'm guessing the Spielmans sought treatment closer to home, in their home state of Ohio at the renowned Cleveland Clinic which has always been a Top 5 oncology hospital.

You might recall the outrage when former County Executive Joel Giambra sought treatment for his throat cancer at Sloan-Kettering Hospital in NYC. Sloan-Kettering is usually ranked 2nd or 3rd best cancer hospital in the United States after the Mayo Clinic.

If you had cancer, would you seek treatment at the 50th best hospital or at a Top 5 hospital?

Also your slandering of Spielman (Funny how no one seems to remember the way Speilman grabbed a paycheck every week, took up a roster spot, spent his weekdays in Ohio and overall hurt the team") is a gross mischaracterization.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

He was my favorite LB and wished the Bills would sign him. I remember being in disbelieve and cheering when we did sign him. Incredible guy and total class act.. Great episode and definitely worth watching.

Wow...